Author Topic: Game parking  (Read 571 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Game parking
« Topic Start: March 29, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
Thought I'd found a good option for this season - a large open lot just on the other side of Audi Field, 1939 2nd St, only $28 for opening day.

Rounded the corner at 2nd and P at 10:55 am yesterday, thought I was home free until suddenly I came up on the line of stopped traffic.  I could see the entrance to he lot a few hundred yards further, but traffic was excruciatingly slow.  Once I could see cars entering, it was clear was taking 3-4 minutes to process a SINGLE CAR.  People were bailing out, turning around, parking in illegal spaces, and this was only 11:15 am now. 

Finally, the line moved a bit, and 50 minutes later I gained access to the lot  A very pleasant young woman recorded my pass number, gave me the tag to put on the dash. After a few questions, the reality was clear - Impark had put a single attendant out there in this large lot, and he had no device with which to scan the ticket codes. The poor old guy was completely overwhelmed with situation.  2 young women had bailed out of their car somewhere behind me, walked up, and were helping him on a volunteer basis to process people into the lot and get cars moving.  I wonder how long they held out doing that, they were fans going to the game like I was. 

Whoever they are, I'm grateful, and I'm sorry for those caught behind me.  In the 50 minutes I was stuck there, it was probably gridlock for a mile or more behind me. 

Anyway, thought we might like a thread to share parking ideas, experiences, etc.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Game parking
« Reply #1: March 29, 2019, 07:48:26 PM »
I hate paying for parking and try to go cheap but yesterday I paid $60 to park next to the ballpark and it was worth every penny. Zero line getting in, zero line getting out. Channel 4 stopped by. We tailgated until 12:40 and made it to see the first pitch. I stayed to the last out and was home by five.

For the rest of the year I'm looking for cheaper options.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: March 29, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »
I hate paying for parking and try to go cheap but yesterday I paid $60 to park next to the ballpark and it was worth every penny. Zero line getting in, zero line getting out. Channel 4 stopped by. We tailgated until 12:40 and made it to see the first pitch. I stayed to the last out and was home by five.

For the rest of the year I'm looking for cheaper options.

You need to cruise the roads around Audi, there were quite a few unposted spots on streets and some driveways not posted as well people were parking in.  I'm also guess the metered spots were quite a bit cheaper than the lot I parked in, but obviously of limited quantity.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #3: March 29, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
So why don't you take the subway ?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4: March 29, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
You need to cruise the roads around Audi, there were quite a few unposted spots on streets and some driveways not posted as well people were parking in.  I'm also guess the metered spots were quite a bit cheaper than the lot I parked in, but obviously of limited quantity.

That's what I usually do. For crowded games it can be hell trying to get to 395 from the far side of South Capitol. Last opening day it was a nightmare parking near Audi and then trying to get out.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #5: March 29, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »

Unwashed masses   .....  like me.     :couch:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #6: March 29, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »
Unwashed masses   .....  like me.     :couch:
Speaking of you, I was slightly worried when you took a month off from posting with no notice that I saw.

Good to see you back, unwashed and all.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #7: March 29, 2019, 10:57:55 PM »
Speaking of you, I was slightly worried when you took a month off from posting with no notice that I saw.

Good to see you back, unwashed and all.

Thanks.    Wasn't a planned "thing".    Good to be back.    Like comin' home.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #8: March 30, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
I always take the Metro but ... whatever happened to the RFK lots? Does all that asphalt just sit vacant? Wasn't there a time when you could park there and be shuttled to the park (by bus)?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: March 30, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
I always take the Metro but ... whatever happened to the RFK lots? Does all that asphalt just sit vacant? Wasn't there a time when you could park there and be shuttled to the park (by bus)?

That was the best, someone needs their head knocked off for cancelling those buses.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: March 30, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »

I work in Gaithersburg, live in Oakton, when the game is over I want to go home, not tour the DMV. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: March 30, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »
That's what I usually do. For crowded games it can be hell trying to get to 395 from the far side of South Capitol. Last opening day it was a nightmare parking near Audi and then trying to get out.

Well yes, getting out is going to be suck.

You really have 2 best options - exit onto So Capitol headed south towards 295 being my preferred option, but when the pedestrian crowds are large they don't let but a couple of cars go at a time and it can be a long wait to make the right turn onto the bridge.  Which leaves negotiating back over to Maine or L'Enfant area for 395 S.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #12: March 30, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »
We used to park along the side of Fort McNair near Second & R SW just north of where Audi Field is now. There were loads of 12-hour parking meters. Google Street View shows most of that is, not surprisingly, gone, with new bike lanes on the west side of the street. We live in Kingstowne and for tomorrow’s game I think we’re just going to drive to the Branch Avenue Metro and ride in from there (avoids changing trains; also, both escalators at the north end of Huntington are out of order for repairs and my wife has trouble with the long stairway). We’ve ridden from Branch Avenue before and it’s been OK.

BTW, for anyone who might take the Metro, get the MetroHero app. Essential for regular riders. It tells you when the trains are coming and how many cars and it also provides line maps that show you where all the trains are. Much more info than WMATA provides and usually more accurate, in my experience.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: March 30, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »

BTW, for anyone who might take the Metro, get the MetroHero app. Essential for regular riders. It tells you when the trains are coming and how many cars and it also provides line maps that show you where all the trains are. Much more info than WMATA provides and usually more accurate, in my experience.

I'd have to buy a phone that does apps.    :)     

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: March 30, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »
That was the best, someone needs their head knocked off for cancelling those buses.
I thought that was why they were cancelled?  didn't someone get clipped under a bridge on the top deck of one of those open tops double deckers?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: March 30, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
I thought that was why they were cancelled?  didn't someone get clipped under a bridge on the top deck of one of those open tops double deckers?

Yep

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/city-desk/blog/13058598/two-more-die-in-double-decker-bus-incident