Author Topic: Tidbits that don't belong in Uncensored  (Read 2496 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Tidbits that don't belong in Uncensored
« Topic Start: March 18, 2019, 08:30:13 PM »

Seems there's any number of things we can share outside of the Uncensored threads...

This is a picture of the Chicago River on St. Patrick's day, 2019.  Those two corncob looking buildings are known as Marina City.  My father was a Superintendent on those for a while in the early '60's until he started his own construction company.

I read somewhere that due to glaciers that receded some 10,000 years ago that left soft pockets in the earth, Chicago is now sinking at a rate of 4" every 100 years.  While the buildings may remain unaffected...or not...the streets, and certainly underground utilities are going to suffer them impacts of all that.  The City was mostly a swamp, not unlike DC, and the they actually raised ground level 4' back in the mid-1800's.  That doesn't seem to be holding up.  They also reversed the flow of the Chicago River in 1900 to stop the flow of industrial waste into Lake Michigan...an engineering move that is under present day scrutiny for other reasons, such as the migration of invasive species of fish, and there are discussions of actually returning the river to it's natural flow.

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Tidbits that don't belong in Uncensored
« Reply #1: March 18, 2019, 08:33:54 PM »
Seems there's any number of things we can share outside of the Uncensored threads...

This is a picture of the Chicago River on St. Patrick's day, 2019.  Those two corncob looking buildings are known as Marina City.  My father was a Superintendent on those for a while in the early '60's until he started his own construction company.

(Image removed from quote.)

I read somewhere that due to glaciers that receded some 10,000 years ago that left soft pockets in the earth, Chicago is now sinking at a rate of 4" every 100 years.  While the buildings may remain unaffected...or not...the streets, and certainly underground utilities are going to suffer them impacts of all that.  The City was mostly a swamp, not unlike DC, and the they actually raised ground level 4' back in the mid-1800's.  That doesn't seem to be holding up.  They also reversed the flow of the Chicago River in 1900 to stop the flow of industrial waste into Lake Michigan...an engineering move that is under present day scrutiny for other reasons, such as the migration of invasive species of fish, and there are discussions of actually returning the river to it's natural flow.
Great picture. We stayed right next to Marina City last week at the Hotel Chicago. Nice place. And no we did not go to Harry Caray’s Steakhouse.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2: March 18, 2019, 08:41:25 PM »
Great picture. We stayed right next to Marina City last week at the Hotel Chicago. Nice place. And no we did not go to Harry Caray’s Steakhouse.

Even though I was born and raised there...mostly the northern suburbs...I left for for college and later for work at 18.  I didn't get to fully appreciate what a great City it was.  I say was, because the infrastructure is failing far quicker than they can attend to it.  When I go back now...it is usually point-to-point travel.  I'll be back there for 2 days next week visiting with HS classmates so I'll try to get a perspective from those that still live there...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: March 18, 2019, 08:55:33 PM »
Even though I was born and raised there...mostly the northern suburbs...I left for for college and later for work at 18.  I didn't get to fully appreciate what a great City it was.  I say was, because the infrastructure is failing far quicker than they can attend to it.  When I go back now...it is usually point-to-point travel.  I'll be back there for 2 days next week visiting with HS classmates so I'll try to get a perspective from those that still live there...
Last time there was in September so weather was better and more time to explore. Looks like a fun town. Except for those Cubs fans.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4: March 18, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
Looks like a fun town. Except for those Cubs fans.

Amen, brother...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: March 19, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
Are we sure the green stuff isn't from Dave Matthews?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #6: March 19, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
Even though I was born and raised there...mostly the northern suburbs...I left for for college and later for work at 18.  I didn't get to fully appreciate what a great City it was.  I say was, because the infrastructure is failing far quicker than they can attend to it. 

We lived just north of there 92-96 and something awful happened underground in Chicago, some type of infrastructure failure and it was huge news but it's bugging me now that I can't remember what happened-do you remember, VaRK?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: March 19, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
We lived just north of there 92-96 and something awful happened underground in Chicago, some type of infrastructure failure and it was huge news but it's bugging me now that I can't remember what happened-do you remember, VaRK?

That may have been downtown when all those high rise buildings flooded due to the Chicago River breaching something or other.  I was living in Orlando back then, so I don't eally recall, that may have been some other time. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #8: March 19, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »
That may have been downtown when all those high rise buildings flooded due to the Chicago River breaching something or other.  I was living in Orlando back then, so I don't eally recall, that may have been some other time. 

oh yes that's what it was, they had to evacuate a bunch of the city I remember now.  Ok thanks, I knew you'd know!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: April 02, 2019, 10:44:15 PM »
That's just freakin' pitiful.

I know...Tommie's story was horrific...and they still haven't caught the sick freak even with a $25K reward...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #13: April 02, 2019, 10:52:09 PM »
I know...Tommie's story was horrific...and they still haven't caught the sick freak even with a $25K reward...

I see stories daily lately of horrible animal abuse, I just cannot fathom how many evil people there are in this world.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #14: April 03, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

I was really glad to see this. Now, animal abuse is a more serious crime than driving 80 on the Interstate in VA.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #15: April 03, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
I was really glad to see this. Now, animal abuse is a more serious crime than driving 80 on the Interstate in VA.

Tie speeders to a post and set 'em on fire.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #17: April 06, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
This was a worthless survey, with too many factors influencing the responses.  One major criteria for evaluating data from a survey is independence of the analysis variables.  That independence of random variables doesn't exist in this survey.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/04/05/dog-owners-are-much-happier-than-cat-owners-survey-finds/

No question in my mind. :mg:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #18: April 06, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
This was a worthless survey, with too many factors influencing the responses.

Nah they sold me on dog owners are happier.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #19: April 06, 2019, 07:52:29 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I remember the corncob buildings. Started college in "Chicawgo" (Mayor Daley's pronunciation) in 1966. Weird looking. Haven't there been action movies in which a car drives through the barriers at the edges of the building?

Chicago is built on a big marsh -- "urbs in horto", or "city in a garden. The new tall buildings have to float. Chicago is flatter than Washington, which has a few hills. I don't remember a street or avenue that curves.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: April 17, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
I just noticed that I have 10 flashlights within arms reach...  :?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #21: April 17, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Vark - just don't try to convince me that you're never in the dark

I just noticed that I have 10 flashlights within arms reach...  :?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: April 17, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »
I remember the corncob buildings. Started college in "Chicawgo" (Mayor Daley's pronunciation) in 1966. Weird looking. Haven't there been action movies in which a car drives through the barriers at the edges of the building?

Chicago is built on a big marsh -- "urbs in horto", or "city in a garden. The new tall buildings have to float. Chicago is flatter than Washington, which has a few hills. I don't remember a street or avenue that curves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

They’ve done it before, they can do it again

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #23: April 17, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

They’ve done it before, they can do it again

My initial thought was razing Chicago as in the great fire but that wouldn't be nice.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: April 19, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »
Today is National Garlic Day