Author Topic: 2019 Bullpen  (Read 59322 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: 2019 Bullpen
« Reply #825: June 22, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »
The bullpen has really turned it around (thank God) but there is no doubt that our defense all game long played a huge role in the win.
Some of it is just bad luck turning around also. Two hard hit line drives to Howie to end innings. Then in the 9th that ball stayed up just long enough for Robles. A few weeks ago that would not have happened. If it was hockey I would say puck luck.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #826: June 22, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »
I'll agree when Rosenthal becomes the right handed Doolittle

The bullpen has really turned it around (thank God) but there is no doubt that our defense all game long played a huge role in the win.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #827: June 22, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
I like Borque.   We need a longer look at him.
he'll be back in September.  I think he has a great chance of making the club next year. At Fresno he has been getting hit hard lately.

« Reply #828: June 22, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
Depending on how long Sanchez goes tonight Davey does have the option of making Sunday's game a bullpen. Monday is an off day and the hope is that either Max/Corbin/Stras can all go 7+ on Tues/Wed/Thurs against the Marlins so the pen could have an extended rest beyond tomorrow. Plus the Braves wouldn't get to see any pitcher a 3rd time through the order. If the plan is to start Ross, Davey needs to have a quick hook if he gets into trouble.

« Reply #829: June 22, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
Then you have the option of trading for a closer/setup guy at the deadline. Plenty of options that would fit our Rosenthal-free budget. Greg Holland (3.25 million), Will Smith (4.2 mil), Shane Greene (4 mil) and Kirby Yates (3.2 million). Holland would be my preference, as he will probably be the cheapest in terms of prospects.

So, conceivably, you could have a bullpen of:
Holland (closer)
Doolittle (set up/alternate closer)
Hendriks (7th inning/bridge to the 8th inning
Buchter (Primary LOOGY)
Sipp (LOOGY)
Rainey
Guerra
Suero

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, you could DFA or trade for nothing Sipp and Barraclough and keep Grace as a mop-up guy/LOOGY.

Either Holland or Will Smith would be my pick, and as we know Rizzo has always favored getting a reliever at the deadline who has closer experience so either of those 2 makes sense especially given Doo's workload this season and injury history. I'd also expect a deal for a good cheap middle reliever for depth/possible 7th inning role to beef up the pen even further. Combined with the likes of Rainey, Suero and Guerra pitching well, even the "B" bullpen would be solid at that point and Doo could be given as much rest as needed down the stretch.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #830: June 22, 2019, 11:00:09 PM »
Trevor Rosenthall... He belongs in prison (impersonating a pitcher), not on the mound.  Joe freaking Ross.... What retard moron thought it was a good idea to pitch him late in a high leverage situation?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #831: June 22, 2019, 11:03:25 PM »
Trevor Rosenthall... He belongs in prison (impersonating a pitcher), not on the mound.  Joe freaking Ross.... What retard moron thought it was a good idea to pitch him late in a high leverage situation?

dave

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #832: June 22, 2019, 11:05:26 PM »
dave

yeah, this one's on Martinez.  Good move last night.  Tonight, Rosenthall should have been out of there with the first walk.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #833: June 23, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »
yeah, this one's on Martinez.  Good move last night.  Tonight, Rosenthall should have been out of there with the first walk.
Do you think????

So let’s load the FREAKING bases for “FREDDY FREEMAN” of all people with a “4 RUN LEAD”!!!!!!!?!?! This didn’t happen against one of the bottom feeders around the League, MARTINEZ gets the #1 assist for this loss against the club we’re trying to chase down!
Never have I seen a more witless  ASSININE move at the Big League level. Unreal.  :crazy:

:turrible: :idiot:

Offline Bloo

« Reply #834: June 23, 2019, 06:23:55 AM »
Something about your username and wanting to throw someone in prison makes the post very comedic to me.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #835: June 23, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »
Something about your username and wanting to throw someone in prison makes the post very comedic to me.

I think Gene Chandler.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #836: June 23, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
You lost me.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #837: June 23, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
I'll give Martinez some credit here.  There's nothing that demonstrates quite so clearly what a pile of crap the back end of your roster is than giving them back-to-back run in games that matter when you have little, but some, alternative.   That's a balls-out dump-them-or-can-me move.

Following up on this comment last night -- this is the way I see it also.  It was time for Ross and Rosenthal to put up.  You can't hide them forever -- these two bozos have been coddled way too long.  Davey did us all a service.   We know now that neither should be on the roster.  Not sure why they are still on it as we speak???

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #838: June 23, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »
Rosenthal released

Offline rileyn

« Reply #839: June 23, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
He gone.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #840: June 23, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
:woop:

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #841: June 23, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
Putting Rosenthall in, in that situation, is one thing.  Letting him walk the bases loaded is unforgivable.  There is Good Rosenthal and Bad Rosenthal.  (You may ask, where is Good Rosenthal?  We saw him Friday night.)  It takes one batter (or less) to see which one shows up. It was clear we had Bad Rosenthal with the first batter he faced and he should have been removed after that first walk.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #842: June 23, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »
Boy would I like to know the dynamics of that conversation with DM and Rizzo.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #843: June 23, 2019, 11:41:30 AM »
Voth replaces Rosenthal on the roster and gets today's start. My guess?  Voth gets this start, then is sent down and Rodney is called up.  I wonder if Ross gets sent down, too.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #844: June 23, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Do you think????

So let’s load the FREAKING bases for “FREDDY FREEMAN” of all people with a “4 RUN LEAD”!!!!!!!?!?! This didn’t happen against one of the bottom feeders around the League, MARTINEZ gets the #1 assist for this loss against the club we’re trying to chase down!
Never have I seen a more witless  ASSININE move at the Big League level. Unreal.  :crazy:

:turrible: :idiot:

This is how I feel. I think Davey deserves credit with the quick turnaround, and he still should get credit and a longer leash than in May.

But situationally, last night's game was undone by Davey.

You have the division leader on the ropes through good work by the offense and some of it from your starter going through 6.

Their starter had given up 8 runs and you are up by 4. I understand the decision to try Rosenthal. But to have no one warming up with a known volatile Rosenthal and leaving him to walk the bases loaded in front of Freddie Freeman with nobody out in a 4 run game is a big nono. It's just situational awareness.

There were many other gaffes, but it was such a momentum changer. You could feel it.

Let's just hope this is a learning experience and keep up the good work we've been doing before this game.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #845: June 23, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
I think Gene Chandler.
Had no idea who that was. I was thinking of more of a literal Duke

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #846: June 24, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
Voth replaces Rosenthal on the roster and gets today's start. My guess?  Voth gets this start, then is sent down and Rodney is called up.  I wonder if Ross gets sent down, too.
Voth making a case to not be sent down. I'd keep him around for Fedde's next start. If Fedde struggles, mayb you send him down.

In terms of improving the bullpen, how about Clippard? Did he leave here on sour terms? Clippard is doing well in Cleveland with a 3.05 and nice peripherals. He's developed and incorporated a two-seamer and a splitter into his mix and the result is that he has given up fewer home runs.

It's only a ~20 inning sample size, but Clippard has been solid this season and can solidify the back end of the bullpen. And with a salary of only 1.5 million, he won't crush us when it comes to luxury tax space.  The Indians will most certainly be sellers this year and while Brad Hand and Adam Cimber will be the most talked about reliever, I believe Clippard would be on the table too and should not cost much, prospect-wise.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #847: June 24, 2019, 07:00:41 AM »
Boy would I like to know the dynamics of that conversation with DM and Rizzo.
So I listen to the Racing Presidents podcast, which does an episode after each game.

Apparently, immediately after Saturday night's game, there was a management/ownership meeting where it was decided to release Rosenthal. THey had to pack up his locker for him in the middle of the night.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #848: June 24, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
In terms of improving the bullpen, how about Clippard? Did he leave here on sour terms?
I don't know how Clippard felt about it but I thought he was treated badly.  Rizzo called him "the greatest 7th inning man in history" (or something to that effect) and traded him away the same day.  He was traded simply because they didn't want to pay him what he was projected to get in arbitration.  Traded him for Yunel Escobar, who was discarded a year later.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #849: June 24, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
Clippard's problem was always giving up the long ball. If he has even halfway "solved" that issue, bring him on!