Author Topic: Roster Moves (2019)  (Read 37466 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Roster Moves (2019)
« Reply #775: September 04, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »
How about we give him another chance? Because the alternative is pretty meh.

The transition to second isn't that hard for a shortstop.

His age is irrelevant, considering we're starting a 20 and 21 year old.

We arent in a pennant race.

The transition to second isn't hard for someone who actually plays shortstop well.  He doesn't.  His footwork sucks, which is what normally makes it easy for shortstops to move over.  His age is relevant because, like both Soto and Robles, he would make his share of mistakes in the field and on the basepaths, just as those two did.  Call it what you will, but a 3.5-game cushion against having to play an elimination game on the road isn't one to mess with.   He'll get another chance soon - as he should - but I don't see a compelling case for it to be now.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #776: September 04, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
How about we give him another chance? Because the alternative is pretty meh.

The transition to second isn't that hard for a shortstop.

His age is irrelevant, considering we're starting a 20 and 21 year old.

We arent in a pennant race.

We are indeed in a pennant race.

Cabrera with the Nationals is batting .328 / .405 / .578.  I really don't understand the desire to sit him.  Yes, Kieboom has more potential, but he just turned 22, struggled mightily in his debut in April, and while he had a good year in the PCL, he still hit just over .300 in a hitters league. 

Maybe it makes sense once we're eliminated from division contention to bring him up and play him, but right now Davey should be fielding his best possible team.  And that means starting Cabrera, not Kieboom.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #777: September 04, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
I actually agree with this. He got his taste of the majors. He needs regular game action.

he's not getting that in West Palm Beach. I'm not saying start him or even play him in one game, just have him around to soak up experience and teaching from what are supposed to be our best coaches. Plus it can't hurt to have an extra guy around in case of injuries or another 14-inning game where we have to pinch-run Joe Ross.

Working with MLB coaches every day > sitting in a spring training complex.

I guess Slate is saying play him every day but I don't want that, I just think getting him up here to get more comfortable on an MLB field every day would be helpful for next season.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #778: September 04, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
The transition to second isn't hard for someone who actually plays shortstop well.  He doesn't.  His footwork sucks, which is what normally makes it easy for shortstops to move over.  His age is relevant because, like both Soto and Robles, he would make his share of mistakes in the field and on the basepaths, just as those two did.  Call it what you will, but a 3.5-game cushion against having to play an elimination game on the road isn't one to mess with.   He'll get another chance soon - as he should - but I don't see a compelling case for it to be now.

He actually plays shortstop well, not sure why you would think otherwise. Unless you're dumb enough to use his call up as the only sample you've seen. He's played 41 games at second base.

We are indeed in a pennant race.

Cabrera with the Nationals is batting .328 / .405 / .578.  I really don't understand the desire to sit him.  Yes, Kieboom has more potential, but he just turned 22, struggled mightily in his debut in April, and while he had a good year in the PCL, he still hit just over .300 in a hitters league. 

Maybe it makes sense once we're eliminated from division contention to bring him up and play him, but right now Davey should be fielding his best possible team.  And that means starting Cabrera, not Kieboom.
We are not in a pennant race. You're not sweeping the Braves and they're not going to collapse. Stop pretending like they are and start getting ready to face the Dodgers.

Do you honestly believe Cabrera is going to continue to hit this well for the next month and change? Because that's not remotely realistic. He simply isn't this good and the bottom is going to fall out.

We need to field our best team possible in the postseason. Finding out if Keiboom can OPS .850+ is worth the starts now.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #779: September 04, 2019, 11:49:59 AM »
I'm not sure how much help Kieboom can actually help during the stretch run, but I like UMDNats suggestion of just getting him to come up and soak in everything. What can it hurt?

He can just watch and learn from the coaches and vets and experience everything first hand. Let the kid soak it up, especially during a playoff push. Give him some of that winning experience. If he hits, he hits. It's just icing on the cake.

This is the LAST year of September 40 man call ups anyways. Next year, rosters will only expand to 28 players in September.

Online Slateman

« Reply #780: September 04, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
I'm not sure how much help Kieboom can actually help during the stretch run, but I like UMDNats suggestion of just getting him to come up and soak in everything. What can it hurt?

He can just watch and learn, and experience first hand. Let the kid soak it up, especially during a playoff push. Give him some of that winning experience. If he hits, he hits. It's just icing on the cake.

This is the LAST year of September 40 man call ups anyways. Next year, rosters will only expand to 28 players in September.

Next year, Keiboom will be starting

Offline tenken627

« Reply #781: September 04, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »

Exactly. Let him feel like he's part of the team.

Online imref

« Reply #782: September 04, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
We are not in a pennant race. You're not sweeping the Braves and they're not going to collapse. Stop pretending like they are and start getting ready to face the Dodgers.

Do you honestly believe Cabrera is going to continue to hit this well for the next month and change? Because that's not remotely realistic. He simply isn't this good and the bottom is going to fall out.

We need to field our best team possible in the postseason. Finding out if Keiboom can OPS .850+ is worth the starts now.

I don't believe Kieboom will put up numbers that are better than what we'll get from Cabrera, no.

Online Slateman

« Reply #783: September 04, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »
I don't believe Kieboom will put up numbers that are better than what we'll get from Cabrera, no.
Why not?

Online imref

« Reply #784: September 04, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »
Why not?

.303 in the PCL, and what, .128 in the majors in April?

If he were raking in the PCL I'd be a lot more excited about calling him up, but I don't think he's ready yet.  Remember, he just turned 22.

Online Slateman

« Reply #785: September 04, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
.303 in the PCL, and what, .128 in the majors in April?

If he were raking in the PCL I'd be a lot more excited about calling him up, but I don't think he's ready yet.  Remember, he just turned 22.
He was raking in the PCL. Again, age is irrelevant. MLB is chalk full of young guys raking. This team has young dudes raking.

We lose nothing. The potential benefit is overwhelming. He doesn't swing well after 10-15 games, you can insert Cabrera and enjoy his low .700s OPS.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #786: September 04, 2019, 12:24:24 PM »
He actually plays shortstop well, not sure why you would think otherwise. Unless you're dumb enough to use his call up as the only sample you've seen. He's played 41 games at second base.

I'd seen him in person a half-dozen times before this season.  Put it this way: I saw him and Gavin Lux a month apart at the same level.  The difference on both offense and defense was smack-you-in-your-face obvious, and Lux isn't exactly a defensive stud at SS.

Online Slateman

« Reply #787: September 04, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »
I'd seen him in person a half-dozen times before this season.  Put it this way: I saw him and Gavin Lux a month apart at the same level.  The difference on both offense and defense was smack-you-in-your-face obvious, and Lux isn't exactly a defensive stud at SS.
Because Lux has been projected  to be a second baseman. Like Keiboom.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #788: September 04, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
Because Lux has been projected  to be a second baseman. Like Keiboom.

And quick: tell me what the difference is in their defensive issues.  That will also explain to you why Kieboom is more likely to end up at 3B long term than 2B.

Also, how many times can you misspell the dude's name in one thread?

Online Slateman

« Reply #789: September 04, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »
And quick: tell me what the difference is in their defensive issues.  That will also explain to you why Kieboom is more likely to end up at 3B long term than 2B.

Also, how many times can you misspell the dude's name in one thread?
It's really not that relevant because Cabrera is meh defensively as well. And this team once started Daniel Murphy at second base. If they thought he couldn't play the middle infield, they would have moved him to third a while ago.

Need as many good hitters as we can get. It's that simple.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #790: September 04, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
It's really not that relevant because Cabrera is meh defensively as well. And this team once started Daniel Murphy at second base. If they thought he couldn't play the middle infield, they would have moved him to third a while ago.

Need as many good hitters as we can get. It's that simply.

This is a great Slateman argument: you move the goalposts to claim you need hitting and mediocre defense at 2B and claim something is irrelevant while raising the subject of Daniel Murphy.  Then, you propose that instead of playing the guy who is already hitting and playing mediocre defense at 2B, you switch to a guy for whom that's basically a best-case over the next month.  OK.

Online Slateman

« Reply #791: September 04, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »
This is a great Slateman argument: you need hitting and mediocre defense at 2B.  So instead of playing the guy who is already hitting and playing mediocre defense at 2B, you switch to a guy for whom that's basically a best-case over the next month. 
We need more bats. Cabrera isn't going to hit like this for much longer. Keiboom may.

His defense is fine. I've watched 80+ games of Keiboom. He'll be fine.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #792: September 04, 2019, 12:38:12 PM »
We need more bats. Cabrera isn't going to hit like this for much longer. Keiboom may.

His defense is fine. I've watched 80+ games of Keiboom. He'll be fine.

Watch a few more and perhaps you'll learn to spell his name.

Online Slateman

« Reply #793: September 04, 2019, 12:39:24 PM »
Watch a few more and perhaps you'll learn to spell his name.
Nah, it seems to annoy you so I'll do what I want. Maybe one day I'll care about your opinion.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #794: September 04, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »
Nah, it seems to annoy you so I'll do what I want. Maybe one day I'll care about your opinion.

Slateman explained in 12 words...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #795: September 04, 2019, 12:59:34 PM »

It doesn't.  It just makes you look like a petulant child, but to each his own.  If misspelling names brings you joy, crack on.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #796: September 04, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »
Why not?
We don't know what kind of numbers Kieboom can put up, near or long term. Cabrera is a poor man's Prado or Kendrick -- a guy who has always been able to put balls in play. A thorn in the side of all pitchers, even the best ones.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #797: September 04, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »

No he won't...

Online Slateman

« Reply #798: September 04, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
No he won't...

Lol, where is he gonna be then?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #799: September 04, 2019, 07:15:22 PM »
Lol, where is he gonna be then?

AAA until he refines his craft...he's nowhere near being ready for the Bigs...