Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43372 times)

Online Natsinpwc

That was the problem with that at-bat. It was clear he couldn't swing freely due to the shoulder, but it was also clear he did not have a lot of practice bunting. I have more sympathy for him in the final at-bat, since it was again clear that the pain was getting to him, but he still made the effort to swing hard.
They played with no subs yesterday.  Kingery got hurt and they had to put him in.  At 25% he is probably still better than Kingery.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
That was the problem with that at-bat. It was clear he couldn't swing freely due to the shoulder, but it was also clear he did not have a lot of practice bunting. I have more sympathy for him in the final at-bat, since it was again clear that the pain was getting to him, but he still made the effort to swing hard.
He was not playing and then I think Kingery got hurt

Online Natsinpwc

He was not playing and then I think Kingery got hurt
Yes, they played with no bench guys due to not putting anyone on the DL. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
One thing about Bryce and his initial hype was he was projected to produce this kind of offense as a catcher, at least for a while.  He never caught as a pro and was shifted to one of the least value defensive positions, corner OF.  By fWAR, that's a 2.0 win hit to his value. Mauer spent 7 years as a full-time catcher, then spent 3 years split between 1st and catcher, before becoming a full-time 1st baseman.  Tack on 6+ years of full-time catching, and that's probably 5 years "OMG and he catches too" to the hype.  HE probably doesn't get a 13 year contract because very few catch that long, but he'd be way higher up in the "is this guy the best in the game" debate.

Offline Slateman

I still think he should have moved to third base. Defensively, he was a good catcher. It wasnt a situation like Schwarber or Sanchez where they struggled to block balls behind the plate. Harper was solid. The move to third wouldnt have been any more or less difficult a transition as the outfield. He throws righthanded so he's good there. He was quick enough, glove was good enough, and the arm is great for third.

Plus, when the time comes, it would be easy to move to first.

The big hype was 2015. Everyone thought he had found it and that was going to be the standard.

Offline rileyn

2 for 25 slump nicely emphasized on the FOX broadcast last night.  You hate to see it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
HE actually hustled and dove for a liner down the line that ended up bouncing into his face to avoid getting by him.  It was a nice effort.

Online Natsinpwc

HE actually hustled and dove for a liner down the line that ended up bouncing into his face to avoid getting by him.  It was a nice effort.
He figured if he could take a 95 mph pitch to the face with no damage this was low risk.  He has one hard head.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Harper to the 10-day IL

Offline imref

Finally had a good year. :couch:

Online Natsinpwc

Finally had a good year. :couch:
Two out of ten anyway.

Offline nfotiu

That feels like a pretty empty mvp with the team having a disappointing year.   Soto winning by running up his numbers after we were out would have felt that way too, and just upped his asking price.

Offline Slateman

Two out of ten anyway.
:lmao: 6th in WAR since 2012. I wish we had more players with not "good" years like Harper had had

Online Natsinpwc

:lmao: 6th in WAR since 2012. I wish we had more players with not "good" years like Harper had had
I was being sarcastic.

Online Senatorswin

I haven't wished Harper well since he's left DC but I'll give him credit. He played a month with a sore wrist when the ball hit off his face into his wrist and his numbers tanked that month. I also read today he went through back spasms and back tightness this year also. Back problems don't usually lead to production into the mid to late thirties.

Online Senatorswin

The article I read on Yahoo about him winning the MVP said his slash line of .265/.389/.510 in between his two MVP seasons is a solid triple slash line but not exactly a batting line to write home about.

I agree with that.

Online Natsinpwc

The article I read on Yahoo about him winning the MVP said his slash line of .265/.389/.510 in between his two MVP seasons is a solid triple slash line but not exactly a batting line to write home about.

I agree with that.
That’s an OPS of .899. How many MLB players do you think had an OPS better than that over that 5 year stretch? 

Offline Slateman

I agree with that.
So it was 4 years. And during that time he had a wRC+ of 132. Which is all star level and definitely something to write home about. FYI, the 26th highest.

Online Natsinpwc

Harper is 5th among active players in career OPS.  (Minimum 3000 plate appearances).  Pretty decent career.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/onbase_plus_slugging_active.shtml

Online Senatorswin

That’s an OPS of .899. How many MLB players do you think had an OPS better than that over that 5 year stretch?

I look at an average of .265 over that stretch. He hit over 30 home runs twice in what I would call 4 years not counting 2020. Other two years hit in the 20's. He also got over 100 RBI's twice.

Very nice stats. Not very close to say for instance what Frank Howard did four year span from 1967 - 1970 but good. Not sure worth the dough he's making when there's a salary cap.

Offline Slateman

I look at an average of .265 over that stretch. He hit over 30 home runs twice in what I would call 4 years not counting 2020. Other two years hit in the 20's. He also got over 100 RBI's twice.

Very nice stats. Not very close to say for instance what Frank Howard did four year span from 1967 - 1970 but good. Not sure worth the dough he's making when there's a salary cap.
Frank Howard has zero MVP awards.

Also, Howard has a whopping .278 average and a .923 OPS. So yeah, pretty close to Harper. Also, 1967-1970 is the peak of Howard's career. And you're comparing it to the disappointing 4 year stretch of Harper's.

Harper > Howard

Offline imref

FWIW, JAWS has Harper 45th all-time now among RF, and that's not including yesterday's MVP win.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_RF.shtml

The only active players ahead of him are Stanton and Betts. Assuming he ends up around 65-70 WAR with around 500 HRs, he's going to Cooperstown.

Online Natsinpwc

Everyone looks at OBP and not average. And no one payed attention to RBIs. Meaningless stat dependent on the people batting in front of you.

Online Natsinpwc

FWIW, JAWS has Harper 45th all-time now among RF, and that's not including yesterday's MVP win.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_RF.shtml

The only active players ahead of him are Stanton and Betts. Assuming he ends up around 65-70 WAR with around 500 HRs, he's going to Cooperstown.
He’s better than Stanton who is always hurt.  Betts is great though and ticketed for Cooperstown. Can’t say the same for Stanton.

Offline imref

RF MVPs:
Musial 3
Robinson 2
Harper 2
Nobody else with more than 1