Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43407 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Yeah, Harper expressing love for the Italian Store just bumped him up a few notches in my book.  That place is incredible.

The bread they use for their subs. :az:  And their large pepperoni pie. :az:

Offline Natsinpwc

The bread they use for their subs. :az:  And their large pepperoni pie. :az:
Hoagie. Not a sub.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Hoagie. Not a sub.
go back to Philly.  Sub.  Hero.  Spuckie.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a "package store".

Offline Natsinpwc

Hoagie.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I think spuckie is only used in East Boston by folks who go back > 2 generations.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Hoagie.

You won’t find any of those in The Italian Store.

Offline dracnal

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I'm still trying to wrap my head around a "package store".

I heard it for years growing up as an AF brat. Every base around the world, the liquor shop was 'the package store.' I think I was a teen when I finally learned what they sold. Never have been in one (on base) to this day. Is it a regional thing to call it that? In MI it was the liquor store and here in VA it's the ABC or the alphabet store.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I heard it for years growing up as an AF brat. Every base around the world, the liquor shop was 'the package store.' I think I was a teen when I finally learned what they sold. Never have been in one (on base) to this day. Is it a regional thing to call it that? In MI it was the liquor store and here in VA it's the ABC or the alphabet store.
Package Store or "Packie" is a New England thing.  As in "Whitey bought the packie on Morrisey Boulevard to launder his cash."

Offline mitlen

In W PA, we called it the state store.    I was exposed to this foreign dialect (NE) when I was in the Army.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I think spuckie is only used in East Boston by folks who go back > 2 generations.

What's now called Fluff? :)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Hoagie. Not a sub.

We're both wrong. It's a sandwich. :crackup:  But deep inside they call them subs. Philadelphia style. :crackup:

https://www.italianstore.com/menu.html

Offline mitlen

Offline mitlen

For those who can't get enough, 106.7 is carrying Hawpah's "press conference" at 3 PM.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Package Store or "Packie" is a New England thing.  As in "Whitey bought the packie on Morrisey Boulevard to launder his cash."

Yep, and in CT the "packie" closed at 8:00!! Imagine my shock moving to Florida where you could buy beer at 10:00 at night from a convenience store :shock:

Offline Natsinpwc

You won’t find any of those in The Italian Store.
They just give it the wrong name so people like you buy it.

Offline Natsinpwc

In W PA, we called it the state store.    I was exposed to this foreign dialect (NE) when I was in the Army.
State store! 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
They just give it the wrong name so people like you buy it.

But they try to make you feel like you're back in south philly with this;

https://www.italianstore.com/sandwiches.html

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
no grinder?

Offline mitlen

But they try to make you feel like you're back in south philly with this;

https://www.italianstore.com/sandwiches.html

Is the shop in Lyon Village new?    I don't remember it when I lived in the neighborhood in the 80s.     Of course, I don't remember much of anything from the 80s    ...    or 70s   ....   or late 60s.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Is the shop in Lyon Village new?    I don't remember it when I lived in the neighborhood in the 80s.     Of course, I don't remember much of anything from the 80s    ...    or 70s   ....   or late 60s.

Not new - been there at least 20 years.  It's in the shopping center with the Giant, directly across from what used to be the Little Tavern and what's still the pawnshop. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Not new - been there at least 20 years.  It's in the shopping center with the Giant, directly across from what used to be the Little Tavern and what's still the pawnshop. 

It was about 20 years ago that I started paying attention to that area.

Offline mitlen

I used to go to the Giant all the time.    I lived up on Danville near Lee HWY.     I loved the Little Tavern.    True story:   Back then, the dry cleaner was owned by a Korean family (IIRC).    I walked in one day to pick up some cleaning and the counter guy was arguing with a man who had a Spanish accent.    They were havin' a hell of a time communicating in English.    They asked me to help.    So, here I am listening to each man's heavily accented English explaining to the other man what was said.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I used to go to the Giant all the time.    I lived up on Danville near Lee HWY.     I loved the Little Tavern.    True story:   Back then, the dry cleaner was owned by a Korean family (IIRC).    I walked in one day to pick up some cleaning and the counter guy was arguing with a man who had a Spanish accent.    They were havin' a hell of a time communicating in English.    They asked me to help.    So, here I am listening to each man's heavily accented English explaining to the other man what was said.

So which one got shot after you translated?  :crackup: