Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43395 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

@BNightengale
Harper’s final offers from 3
Finalists:
#Dodgers: 3 years, $135 million or 4 years, $168 million.
#SFGiants: 12 years, $310 million.
#Phillies: 13 years, $330 million. No opt out. Full no trade.
No deferred money

The Cali teams also had to deal with higher state income taxes.

If he turned down 45 million a year in the city he really wanted to play and take 25 mill per year just so he could say he has the biggest contract, then he’s an idiot.

Offline aBaltoNat

What makes you think they don't have that now?

I'm not saying it. I was responding to the guy enjoying the race in September. I want to be counting my eggs/chickens by then.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
If he turned down 45 million a year in the city he really wanted to play and take 25 mill per year just so he could say he has the biggest contract, then he’s an idiot.

He got $330MM guaranteed...I can't find fault with that...

If he plays the next 3 years like he did last year, he wouldn't be looking at a mega deal ever again...

Offline nfotiu

Yeah, this a 330 million contract for hopefully 6-7 great years with a nice pension.

I also don't blame him for not wanting to go through all this again in 3 years.

I really only blame him for going to Philadelphia.

Online Natsinpwc

He turned down 168 million for 330 million. He knows he can get hurt.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
The thing that annoys me the most is the way this is structured, this doesn’t even cause the Phillies that much luxury tax pain.

Offline aBaltoNat

I made this argument with a friend two months ago.  If Im Bryce I sign a $300M contract. I'm sure Dad knows someone in Vegas who can gently take a bat to my knees and ruin my career after a couple years. I become a legend, random attack, paid for never playing again an doing the BS cross country crap.

If this happens...he obviously never planned on really playing in that craphole.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Kimbrel is saying he's willing to sit out a year to get the deal he wants. I believe him and don't blame him.

No, no he’s not. Bowden said he “heard” that and his agent came right out and flatly refuted that nonsense. Do a bit of research before repeating any ridiculous rumor you hear.

Offline aBaltoNat

No, no he’s not. Bowden said he “heard” that and his agent came right out and flatly refuted that nonsense. Do a bit of research before repeating any ridiculous rumor you hear.

Why would I do that when you can do that work for me and blue will do my stats work for me?

Love you guys. ;)

Online Natsinpwc

I made this argument with a friend two months ago.  If Im Bryce I sign a $300M contract. I'm sure Dad knows someone in Vegas who can gently take a bat to my knees and ruin my career after a couple years. I become a legend, random attack, paid for never playing again an doing the BS cross country crap.

If this happens...he obviously never planned on really playing in that craphole.
You’ve gone off the deep end. Take a chill pill.

Online Five Banners

Scary thought just occurred to me. If the Nats were going to lose him, the FO actually wanted to lose him to Philly to jack up ticket sales.

Susan O'Malley comes to mind

Offline aBaltoNat

You’ve gone off the deep end. Take a chill pill.

I'm not saying this is what he will do...I'm saying it's what I would do and I'd have my friend bust my kneecaps.

Offline MorseTheHorse

I don't particularly understand how 13 years 330M is a better contract than 10 years 300M, but ok I guess.  I think mainly I feel bad for Harper.  I feel like he has no pride to sign up to play for a team whose players and fans have treated him so poorly over the years.  For what exactly?  A HR friendly park and low income taxes?

I still haven't decided what I'll personally do when Harper comes to town.  Maybe just stay in my seat and do nothing. 

Offline MorseTheHorse

Don't they have insurance policies for stuff like that?

Offline MorseTheHorse

Wonder what sort of tribute the Lerner's have planned for him on April 2nd?  Put him in the Ring of Honor maybe?

That's a joke, right?

Offline Duke of Earl

That's a joke, right?

Yes of course that was a joke. 

I mean, bottom line, Harper is a low-life piece of crap and we all recognize this.  I hope he hit .197 with 5 homeruns and 220 strikeouts in 2019  ... and for the next 12 years after that. freak HIM.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
cross-posted from the NHL thread, this is how the NY Islander fans greeted John Tavares tonight in his return to Long Island.  Perhaps a model for Nats fans?

https://deadspin.com/islanders-fans-treat-john-tavares-to-jerk-chants-1832974477

Offline Duke of Earl

Funny, I've been ranting for quite awhile about Harper, what a piece of garbage  he is, and my wife, though she agrees, has gotten tired of my ranting.  Finally I said "I hope his wife leaves him".   She said "why would you say such a thing".  Answer, "because he is subjecting her to 13 years in that craphole of a city".

Offline LoveAngelos

If he does for Philly what he did for the Nats;
That will be a good thing

Offline tzinc

he hits the best in the phillies park and he didn't hit so well in la or sf especially sf

13 years with no opt outs either way

i wonder how much he is worried about the last 3 years

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
i wonder how much he is worried about the last 3 years

I’m positive he gives less than a crap.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
cross-posted from the NHL thread, this is how the NY Islander fans greeted John Tavares tonight in his return to Long Island.  Perhaps a model for Nats fans?

https://deadspin.com/islanders-fans-treat-john-tavares-to-jerk-chants-1832974477

Let's hope not...

Offline Copecwby20

A twitter comment saying that the whole ball park should chant “See... You... Later” after EVERY one of his strikeouts at Nat’s park made me think.... “Do you think we could get that organized?”

Offline Copecwby20

Also, the only good thing to ever come out of Philly is the Marine Corps.

Rah.