Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 44252 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
So yeah. I can see how folks are pissed. I personally thought he was a good player who seemed to be a total couch. And I’m excited to see what the Nats can do without him.

What's a total couch?   :shrug:

As you may know, I'm thrilled that he is gone, and in Philly for that matter...and anxious to see just how the Nats owners will kiss his ass on April 2nd.  Also glad we don't have to hear that god awful walk-up music anymore...

He was always great with kids...I suspect that will continue in Philly even as they learn to pelt him with batteries.  I hold no harsh feelings.  The morons that are talking about burning jerseys are laughable...like "that'll show him."  :hysterical:

Offline Trea Burner

Realmuto - Great pick up
Segura - Solid pick up
Harper - Phillies will regret it by year 5.

13 years is insane. No opt out either, good luck with that.

Alex Ovechkin is the only athlete to earn 13 years and he will most likely go down as the best goal scorer in the history of the game. Harper is nowhere near being “greatest in baseball” in anything. Grossly overrated, must be the hair and helmet flips.

Offline hotshot

I don't like any of those three contracts for various reasons.

--Machado's contract because, well, he's a dirty player and bad role model for younger players and the wrong face for an organization.
--Harper's contract with Philly is a massive overpay. He was worth more to the Nats being a hometown player. The Phils will never take to him like we did. He's just a hired gun and they will turn on him as he ages if not right away.
--Corbin, as you said, is a health concern and is an overpay.

For PR (read business) purposes the Nats played this perfectly. For baseball purposes, it's debatable.

Part of the Corbin overpay was, I'm sure, not wanting to see him sign elsewhere in the NL East.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Realmuto - Great pick up
Segura - Solid pick up
Harper - Phillies will regret it by year 5.

13 years is insane. No opt out either, good luck with that.

Alex Ovechkin is the only athlete to earn 13 years and he will most likely go down as the best goal scorer in the history of the game. Harper is nowhere near being “greatest in baseball” in anything. Grossly overrated, must be the hair and helmet flips.

I can't wait to see Royce and the missus in their Vegas Golden Knights sweaters in a suite at the Wells Fargo Center...that should go over well...  :P

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
The morons that are talking about burning jerseys are laughable...like "that'll show him."  :hysterical:

You're missing the point. It's not showing him jack. It's just cathartic, and kind of fun. Lighten up.

Offline nfotiu

Now that this has settled a bit, this sets up the NL East pretty fun all of a sudden.  It's been a pretty boring division the last few years.  This brings a whole new level of rivalry to Nats-Phillies, the Braves are good, and we're looking pretty good.  A 3 horse race to the finish could make for some fun regular seasons the next couple years.

Offline aBaltoNat

Now that this has settled a bit, this sets up the NL East pretty fun all of a sudden.  It's been a pretty boring division the last few years.  This brings a whole new level of rivalry to Nats-Phillies, the Braves are good, and we're looking pretty good.  A 3 horse race to the finish could make for some fun regular seasons the next couple years.

And playoff misses. Wtf is fun about that? If I'm going to watch 130 games on TV, I want to know I'm gonna have a shot to watch them have a chance to advance in the playoffs.

I have a friend that has a favorite team and he just always wants to see good games. Screw that

Offline Trea Burner

I can't wait to see Royce and the missus in their Vegas Golden Knights sweaters in a suite at the Wells Fargo Center...that should go over well...  :P

;)

I don’t think Bryce understands the philly market. DC with soccer mom crowd; keep a clean image and all is well.

In Philadelphia, he will get eaten alive if he does not live up to 13/330.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
What's a total couch?   :shrug:

As you may know, I'm thrilled that he is gone, and in Philly for that matter...and anxious to see just how the Nats owners will kiss his ass on April 2nd.  Also glad we don't have to hear that god awful walk-up music anymore...

He was always great with kids...I suspect that will continue in Philly even as they learn to pelt him with batteries.  I hold no harsh feelings.  The morons that are talking about burning jerseys are laughable...like "that'll show him."  :hysterical:

Total douche.

Offline nfotiu

And playoff misses. Wtf is fun about that? If I'm going to watch 130 games on TV, I want to know I'm gonna have a shot to watch them have a chance to advance in the playoffs.

I have a friend that has a favorite team and he just always wants to see good games. Screw that
We've never experienced a good pennant race that went down to the wire.  Watching a whole September of playoff atmosphere games is as good as baseball gets.  If we stay healthy, we have a good shot at being the winners or wild card.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
I don't like any of those three contracts for various reasons.

--Machado's contract because, well, he's a dirty player and bad role model for younger players and the wrong face for an organization.
--Harper's contract with Philly is a massive overpay. He was worth more to the Nats being a hometown player. The Phils will never take to him like we did. He's just a hired gun and they will turn on him as he ages if not right away.
--Corbin, as you said, is a health concern and is an overpay.

For PR (read business) purposes the Nats played this perfectly. For baseball purposes, it's debatable.

While I certainly understand Corbin being a risk, it was a risk we have to take.

We need a #3 SP that is a #2 caliber. We hope Stras stays off the DL. But if he doesn't we need someone to take over for him. Corbin is that guy.

We need to take the same approach imo with Doolittle. We need to sign a closer. We should sign Kimbrel to 2/45 or 2/50.

Offline Natsinpwc

The Mets will be better also.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Total douche.

Gotcha...

I think he's been acting childish for as long as he's been here with all his posing, tantrums and sulking...but I can't blame him for taking the money and running...it's who he is...

It's not like he owed the Nats anything...he fulfilled his contract (though he admitted to dogging it last year due to his impending Free Agency), put butts in the seats, and now he's moved on. 

More power to him...though I likely only say that because I haven't liked his act for some time now...and don't see him as an answer to the Nats issues.  We'll see...

Offline Natsinpwc

He will know better than to do that there.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
We should sign Kimbrel to 2/45 or 2/50.

Oh hell no...

Offline aBaltoNat

While I certainly understand Corbin being a risk, it was a risk we have to take.

We need a #3 SP that is a #2 caliber. We hope Stras stays off the DL. But if he doesn't we need someone to take over for him. Corbin is that guy.

We need to take the same approach imo with Doolittle. We need to sign a closer. We should sign Kimbrel to 2/45 or 2/50.

Kimbrel is saying he's willing to sit out a year to get the deal he wants. I believe him and don't blame him.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
He will know better than to do that there.

No he won't...this is Royce we're talking about...

Offline Baseball is Life

This brings a whole new level of rivalry to Nats-Phillies,

Scary thought just occurred to me. If the Nats were going to lose him, the FO actually wanted to lose him to Philly to jack up ticket sales.

Offline Baseball is Life

Kimbrel is saying he's willing to sit out a year to get the deal he wants. I believe him and don't blame him.

Unless he's ready to retire, I don't believe him. Who says the deal he wants will be there next year.

Offline Baseball is Life

Final offers for Bryce

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1101294347784355840?s=21

@BNightengale
Harper’s final offers from 3
Finalists:
#Dodgers: 3 years, $135 million or 4 years, $168 million.
#SFGiants: 12 years, $310 million.
#Phillies: 13 years, $330 million. No opt out. Full no trade.
No deferred money

The Cali teams also had to deal with higher state income taxes.

Offline Natsinpwc

No he won't...this is Royce we're talking about...
After he shows up at the Eagles game with a Cowboys jersey and his buddy Trout has to rescue him he will know.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
After he shows up at the Eagles game with a Cowboys jersey and his buddy Trout has to rescue him he will know.

I just hope the VGN and Phlyers play on one of his off days this year...that will be must-see TV...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

What makes you think they don't have that now?