Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43390 times)

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Very thoughtful, but eff that. I hope he is miserable for the rest of his days. :mg:

:lol:

I'm just sad, and disappointed, and I'm also petty because I just can't wish him well yet.  I wanted him to establish his legacy here, with the team he started with.  He was ours, but it turns out he was just a mercenary like everybody else.  I'll get over it, not sure I'll ever think "yay Bryce did good today!" though. 

Offline HalfSmokes

I don't begrudge him at all. It is the business side of baseball, and he went to the team that offered him the best deal for him and his agent.

It’s a business that depends on fans getting emotionally involved- those fans hating him now shouldn’t be surprising

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
It’s a business that depends on fans getting emotionally involved- those fans hating him now shouldn’t be surprising

Exactly, and they probably don't hate him they're probably like me, just sad and disappointed.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
:lol:

I'm just sad, and disappointed, and I'm also petty because I just can't wish him well yet.  I wanted him to establish his legacy here, with the team he started with.  He was ours, but it turns out he was just a mercenary like everybody else.  I'll get over it, not sure I'll ever think "yay Bryce did good today!" though. 

You and I are on the exame same page. He is a money grubbing pro athlete like the rest. That's why I love Stras. He actually turned down money because he liked the organization, the city, and its fans.

I will always hate him because he basically spewed a line of BS about wanting to stay here and then signed with our arch rival. But having an arch villain in sports is fun. And, really, it will be perfect. The team I hate the most and the player that now hate the most.

Offline Baseball is Life

Exactly, and they probably don't hate him they're probably like me, just sad and disappointed.

Oh, no. I hate him. I'm rounding up all my Harper jerseys, bobbleheads, and anything with his likeness and plan to burn it all. Really. It will be grand.

Offline tzinc

I really wanted him to give us a hometown discount ( and not much of one at 10 years 300 million) and go down in history as the Nationals all time icon. I am sad I almost puked looking at the MLB The Show 19 cover just now

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
The thing that really makes me sad about this is the way the team did him dirty at the end. I know most people won't agree with me on this and that's fine. But I don't think they ever made him a real offer, and then they engaged in a well orchestrated campaign to make the fans ok with that.

1. The leaked 10/300 "offer" with 100 mil deferred for 30 years that was off the table before he even tested free agency.
2. The Lerner radio spot that planted animosity.
3. The Scherzer quote, the Boswell article about what a crappy teammate he supposedly was, and FP talking about how "everyone I've talked to can't believe he turned down the Nats geeenerous offer".

It helped that it stretched this far into February, but everyone just got tired of it and the Nats made it really easy for their fans to hate him. But it just feels to me like a cover for the fact that they were never going to pay one of the most interesting and dynamic players in baseball.

He probably wanted to stay, but it doesn't really seem like he was ever given that chance and that sucks.

Offline UMDNats

shout out to mark lerner for veto'ing a harper to houston trade and freaking up a chance at getting any value out of bryce in a dumpster fire season

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Folks are still voting in the poll...  :hysterical:

Offline UMDNats

The thing that really makes me sad about this is the way the team did him dirty at the end. I know most people won't agree with me on this and that's fine. But I don't think they ever made him a real offer, and then they engaged in a well orchestrated campaign to make the fans ok with that.

1. The leaked 10/300 "offer" with 100 mil deferred for 30 years that was off the table before he even tested free agency.
3. The Scherzer quote, the Boswell article about what a crappy teammate he supposedly was, and FP talking about how "everyone I've talked to can't believe he turned down the Nats geeenerous offer".

It helped that it stretched this far into February, but everyone just got tired of it and the Nats made it really easy for their fans to hate him. But it just feels to me like a cover for the fact that they were never going to pay one of the most interesting and dynamic players in baseball.

He probably wanted to stay, but it doesn't really seem like he was ever given that chance and that sucks.

Come on. He had plenty of chances to stay and if he valued staying more than anything he would have worked it out. Since Day 1 he's had his eyes on a big free agent payday, sure he probably would have liked a legacy of staying with us forever but we coddled him every second of his Nats tenure and gave him literally everything he wanted every step of the way. Loyalty is a two-way street and the team, and fans, have done nothing but worship his existence since 2009.

And I call BS on "100 million" deferred. Don't believe everything reported around stuff like this. Both sides have had huge information campaigns to make the other look bad. You don't think Scott is telling reporters that Bryce "never wanted an opt-out"? Of course the team fed Boswell stuff but that's the business. Boras and Bryce have to go out here and try to win the PR battle and telling reporters that Bryce wanted to commit forever gets him an easy narrative change immediately. I would bet the Phillies just didn't want an opt-out and Bryce had to settle for this deal.

Also, there were 28 other teams that didn't want to spend $300 million on Bryce Harper. The Dodgers wanted a short-term. The Giants probably flirted with it but only at the end, and I suspect they were not a real contender. The Phillies had to sign him as soon as they talked a big game and everyone knew it. 28 other teams decided not to pay him, either, you know, and we knew him best and STILL decided he wasn't worth it.

Offline Baseball is Life

Just stop. They they offered him a better offer than he got. If you want to quibble about deferments, I'm sure that could have been negotiated.

Offline Korzagg

As a Phillies fan it’s a giant over payment for his talents, but 330 is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the money they will make off his back. Mike Trout may be the best player in the game but he has no interest in being the face of baseball. Harper has the talent and willingness to be that player and having the face of baseball in your uniform for the rest of his career is like printing money

Offline tzinc

I think the Nats offer was a typical hometown discount offer but still I mean 300 million!!!  he should have just taken it I don't think it was a bad offer at all... he just thought he'd get much much more in FA greed!
remember the 400 million dollar talk the last few years what nonsense

in order to save face he is basically playing 3 extra years in Philly at only 10 million a year in 10 plus years wtf? his yearly average is 25 million a year only

Offline Baseball is Life

As a Phillies fan it’s a giant over payment for his talents, but 330 is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the money they will make off his back. Mike Trout may be the best player in the game but he has no interest in being the face of baseball. Harper has the talent and willingness to be that player and having the face of baseball in your uniform for the rest of his career is like printing money

Harper and Philadelphia deserve each other. Good riddance. You will be booing him by April 15.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I think Arenado just showed what you do when you want to stay.  So did Strasburg.  The latter shows that the Nats specifically are willing to work with guys who want to stay. 

I'm with you on the trashing him in the media and the sycophantic coverage, but if you're serious about staying you know that by going well into the FA period you take the risk that they might throw a lot of the money originally earmarked for you at someone else (Corbin) and tell you to stuff it.   

shout out to mark lerner for veto'ing a harper to houston trade and freaking up a chance at getting any value out of bryce in a dumpster fire season

Yeah, in ten years he'll be in the Mark Davis club of idiot second generation owners.

Offline UMDNats

good thing teams all share merchandise sales

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Just stop. They they offered him a better offer than he got. If you want to quibble about deferments, I'm sure that could have been negotiated.

The Nats offer was reportedly 10/$300 million, with $20 million AAV for the first 10 years, then $10 million a year for the next 10.  The reports are that the Phillies deal is front-loaded, with no deferrals.   

Online imref

just imagine the first time he doesn't hustle on a play in philly
or has a prolonged injury issue
or goes into a half season slump

I'm waiting for the dugout fight with Kapler.

Online imref

So this is what we're facing next year:

1. Cesar Hernandez, 2B
2. Juan Segura, SS
3. Bryce Harper, RF
4. Rhys Hoskins, 1B
5. JT Realmuto, C
6. Andrew McCutcheon LF
7. Maikel Franco, 3B
8. Odubel Herrera, CF

That's a really really strong lineup. 

Offline Baseball is Life

The Nats offer was reportedly 10/$300 million, with $20 million AAV for the first 10 years, then $10 million a year for the next 10.  The reports are that the Phillies deal is front-loaded, with no deferrals.   

OK, let's accept that as truth. For God's sake, that's a great offer the Nats made. I'm not an accountant, but the bottom line seems to me is he left the Nats for 10% more than the Nats offered.

Offline Baseball is Life

I'm waiting for the dugout fight with Kapler.

Kapler seems like a real hard ass. He and Harper will not get along.

Offline UMDNats

So this is what we're facing next year:

1. Cesar Hernandez, 2B
2. Juan Segura, SS
3. Bryce Harper, RF
4. Rhys Hoskins, 1B
5. JT Realmuto, C
6. Andrew McCutcheon LF
7. Maikel Franco, 3B
8. Odubel Herrera, CF

That's a really really strong lineup. 

1. Turner, SS
2. Eaton, RF
3. Rendon, 3B
4. Soto, LF
5. Gomes, C
6. Zimmerman, 1B
7. Dozier, 2B
8. Robles, CF

Bring it on, Philly. I'll put our top-3, our lineup & our closer against anyone in the league. We've won the Offseason Champs Award before, too, and look where it got us. I really do think our team will be a lot looser this year and more dynamic offensively. A lot of depth right now considering Suzuki, Adams & Taylor are our bench guys.

Offline tenken627

Have fun with Ryan Howar... err Bryce Harper!

Offline hotshot

I really wanted him to give us a hometown discount ( and not much of one at 10 years 300 million) and go down in history as the Nationals all time icon. I am sad I almost puked looking at the MLB The Show 19 cover just now

:'( :'( :'(

If Bryce is our "all time icon," this franchise is in trouble. His stats are nowhere close to that level of recognition.

Offline tenken627

I don’t get all the negative feelings towards Bryce here.

Its mostly because it just happened. The wound is still fresh.

Let us have some fun venting for a bit