Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 44020 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I will say, it seems strange to (quite obviously) care so much about having the biggest contract in baseball for a short period of time. I like Bryce here and wish him well, in that I hope he puts up some monster numbers on some terrible Philly teams.

As I've said, I cannot think of a worse match of player to team. We have done nothing but support and coddle him, and he's still gone through lengthy rough patches of distraction and doubt despite all of that support. I can't imagine how he'll react when the Philly fans and media turn against him. And they WILL turn against him. Those mfers booed Mike Schmidt. They booed Chase Utley. They booed Ryan Howard. They will boo Bryce Harper.

They booed Santa Clause...

He deserves it...but me...I'm really glad that is where he is gonna spend the next 13 years.  Hope he has a no-trade clause in his deal. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I will say, it seems strange to (quite obviously) care so much about having the biggest contract in baseball for a short period of time. I like Bryce here and wish him well, in that I hope he puts up some monster numbers on some terrible Philly teams.

As I've said, I cannot think of a worse match of player to team. We have done nothing but support and coddle him, and he's still gone through lengthy rough patches of distraction and doubt despite all of that support. I can't imagine how he'll react when the Philly fans and media turn against him. And they WILL turn against him. Those mfers booed Mike Schmidt. They booed Chase Utley. They booed Ryan Howard. They will boo Bryce Harper.

He will regret this decision the rest of his life. No doubt. Those fans make being jerk into an art form.

Offline tenken627

Makes you really think of all those statements that Bryce cares about his legacy first and foremost

Offline Five Banners

That would have been the time to do it.  They have some leverage by offering early money and security.   Maybe the Nats didn't really like him either.  Although if that's true, they should have traded him.

Yep, if the team was only going to go so far in the bidding, it behooved them to allow a trade to go through that would best what would be gotten back via a compensation pick. I think this is part of the ownership decision committee system and the lack of a good team president like Larry Lucchino. I think that often, the time inherent in making decisions affects what Rizzo can do and implement. With a good team president empowered to be part of the process, plans and organizational philosophies can be implemented in a more orderly fashion.

Offline UMDNats

dc is the softest sports market in america for a big market. you're right he got coddled here from day one. i can't wait for the first boos if only for pure entertainment value. i don't have any ill will for him but will root hard against them

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Makes you really think of all those statements that Bryce cares about his legacy first and foremost

Want's to be remembered as the next Pete Rose...remember that one?  Well, Pete played in Philly...maybe this was part of his master plan...

Offline Baseball is Life

Complete lies. The fans in this city fell for his act hook, line, and sinker. With this decision, he revealed who he really is. He want to the highest bidder. Didn't go to a West Coast team to be closer to home. He didn't go to sure contender. He went for the most money, pure and simple.

Offline Five Banners

He will regret this decision the rest of his life. No doubt. Those fans make being jerk into an art form.

Get a ring and many will consider it worth it. Even Werth didn't get the worst of their wrath until he was out of town, no doubt helped by the 2008 win.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Bryce is going to go full gritty now, watch out

Offline Baseball is Life

Get a ring and many will consider it worth it. Even Werth didn't get the worst of their wrath until he was out of town, no doubt helped by the 2008 win.

You got that backwards. Werth wasn't being booed by his hometown fans. This will certainly happen to Harper almost right from the start if he doesn't put up big numbers. Those jerks booed HOFers in their prime.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
If he’s lost BiL, he’s lost everyone.

Offline HalfSmokes

They aren’t set up to do that for awhile. Meanwhile he’ll have the biggest contract in baseball - I’m not sure that’s a good situation for an incredibly streaky play to be in

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I'm really happy...mostly for me...but for him too.  He maximized his earnings and will spend 13 years in the same city...not DC...  :D

Wonder what sort of tribute the Lerner's have planned for him on April 2nd?  Put him in the Ring of Honor maybe?

Offline Baseball is Life

If he’s lost BiL, he’s lost everyone.

You got it. This whole city will turn on him. My phone is blowing with texts that all basically says "eff him."

But the more it settles in, the more I think that he and Philthy deserve each other. He will be miserable and so will their fans. He can never live up to their expectations unless he wins MVP and the WS in his first year.

Offline NJ Ave

If there's one attribute that Philly fans really look for in their superstar athletes, it's hairflips.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He deserves it...but me...I'm really glad that is where he is gonna spend the next 13 years.  Hope he has a no-trade clause in his deal.

Per Passan, there's a full no-trade, but players can always waive those when they want out.

I still can't get over that he was willing to go to 13 years just to get the highest total dollar figure, even though he's getting $7.2 million a year less than Arenado.  Hell, he'll probably get less AAV than Rendon.   That fixation on total dollars is just childish, and possibly counterproductive: he almost certainly could have gotten something like 3/115, gone FA again at 29 and only needed to get 216 total over the remainder of his career to end up with a higher total.   If he actually thinks he is good, one would assume that would be achievable (unless Boras has decided the market is about to crater).

Offline 1995hoo

The report I saw said a no-trade clause plus no opt-outs.

Edited to add: WTOP reports it’s a full no-trade clause.

Offline Baseball is Life

If there's one attribute that Philly fans really look for in their superstar athletes, it's hairflips.

He doesn't wear gold chains so he will have to start that.

Offline NJ Ave

The NL East is going to turn into the ACC for me. Of course I'm only rooting for the Nats and UVA, until it's clear they can't win. Then I'll root just as hard for the Braves or UNC as long as the Phillies and Duke don't win.

Offline Baseball is Life

Frankly, it's not a very good contract. Machado's deal is way much better, with opt outs, better AAV, nicer city, and fans who don't smell bad.

Offline UMDNats

The worst thing DC fans could do to Bryce is ignore him when he comes back. The idea that you left no mark on the team and city that you spent 10 years with would eat anyone up.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Edited to add: WTOP reports it’s a full no-trade clause.

A match made in heaven...  :D

Offline Baseball is Life

The NL East is going to turn into the ACC for me. Of course I'm only rooting for the Nats and UVA, until it's clear they can't win. Then I'll root just as hard for the Braves or UNC as long as the Phillies and Duke don't win.

I've always hated the Philithies the most so this kind of cements it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Tempted to move to out of town scoreboard and change the title to our least favorite Phillies

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Someone also said that Bryce will hit a bazillion hr's in that ballpark, think that factored into it?  Upping his stats along with that big ol' contract he seemed to covet so?