Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43876 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I'd be interested to see how the money is allocated across 13 seasons.  You could either use the 36-39 seasons (by which time he'll be terrible or retired) as a way to defer money without explicitly doing so, or you could front-load it so it's functionally a $10/310 contract (allowing him to say he got better than the Nats offered him even viewed that way) with what are functionally three Bobby Bonilla payout years at the end, which the Phillies retaining any upside if he somehow doesn't suck then.

It's a little hard to see it as just 13 years at a lower AAV as that doesn't allow Harper (Boras) to do much to save face other than to say he got more money overall.

Offline Count Walewski

I have no hard feelings towards Bryce Harper. Not sure why all of you do.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Anybody gotta a match?

Offline UMDNats

lol the media being fed (by boras) that harper didn't want an opt-out. yeah, cause players WANT fewer options :lmao:

Offline nfotiu

I didn't used to think it, but I'm thoroughly convinced he didn't want to come back here.  I don't think he always hated it here, but somewhere along the line he decided he was done.

Offline Baseball is Life

Seriously? You are not new around here so what's up?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I didn't used to think it, but I'm thoroughly convinced he didn't want to come back here.  I don't think he always hated it here, but somewhere along the line he decided he was done.

I'd guess because the Nats didn't try and extend him earlier.  I never did understand why Washington didn't try and lock him up after the 2015 season.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
So I lose my bet to mitlen and bs based upon him getting $300MM, although his AAV is less than $26MM...

Well worth it just to have him outta here...  :clap:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
He is who some of you thought he is. He went all in the for the most money down to every last dollar. (I was wrong.) What an jerk.

He will regret this decision for the rest of his life.

I was way wrong too, soooooo disappointed. 

Offline UMDNats

I bet Max can't wait to face him. His changeup has to be Harper krpytonite.

Offline imref

So I lose my bet to mitlen and bs based upon him getting $300MM, although his AAV is less than $26MM...

Well worth is just to have him outta here...  :clap:

:hysterical:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Yeah, I don't get it either...just a poor player maximizing his value in the union struggle against the greedy owners...

Offline nfotiu

Cali, I would have wished him the best.  Going to Philly for a few more million than the Nats offered, that he probably could have got from us feels like a middle finger to Nats fans that supported him. 

Offline Truconfidence

Pretty much they need that universal DH to go through now

This

Offline RiotAct

But, damn that sucks.   Have fun with your 1 WAR player PHilly.
I’m sure he will become a prime Ted Williams now  :evil:

Online Five Banners

I'd guess because the Nats didn't try and extend him earlier.  I never did understand why Washington didn't try and lock him up after the 2015 season.

They might have asked about it, but this was in the "don't sell me short" window, and it takes two to tango

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
:hysterical:

Don't know what you're laughing about...you said he'd be back here...  :hysterical:

Offline nfotiu

That would have been the time to do it.  They have some leverage by offering early money and security.   Maybe the Nats didn't really like him either.  Although if that's true, they should have traded him.

Offline imref

Don't know what you're laughing about...you said he'd be back here...  :hysterical:

He will, on April 2nd.

Offline imref

That would have been the time to do it.  They have some leverage by offering early money and security.   Maybe the Nats didn't really like him either.  Although if that's true, they should have traded him.

Rizzo tried to.

Offline Baseball is Life

He always wanted to be FA no matter what. All he ever saw was $$$$$. The rest of the crap about loving DC was pure BS. The Nats made him a better offer actually then what he got so eff him.

Online Five Banners

I’m sure he will become a prime Ted Williams now 

Could be; it's on the Nats to be the 40s-50s Yankees in response

Offline USF_Football

I'll miss all of the Opening Day homers Bryce. Thanks for some great memories... and to think I flew to LA to see Bryce play his very first game. Sad day in Mudville.

Offline Baseball is Life

for the millionth time, no matter what the nats offered him he was going to FA. He always wanted to see if he could get the biggest contract. Greedy bastard.

Offline NJ Ave

I will say, it seems strange to (quite obviously) care so much about having the biggest contract in baseball for a short period of time. I like Bryce here and wish him well, in that I hope he puts up some monster numbers on some terrible Philly teams.

As I've said, I cannot think of a worse match of player to team. We have done nothing but support and coddle him, and he's still gone through lengthy rough patches of distraction and doubt despite all of that support. I can't imagine how he'll react when the Philly fans and media turn against him. And they WILL turn against him. Those mfers booed Mike Schmidt. They booed Chase Utley. They booed Ryan Howard. They will boo Bryce Harper.