Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 44445 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I wasn't trying to contradict. I just think it's funny that there exists such a detailed description of the nuance on urban dictionary...

I understand and appreciate that blue but it's like I tell my son, "History didn't start when you (my son) were born."    My guess is young people born in the 60s who became fans of the winning Steelers and Pens are the nexus of the usage of yinz.    Band wagon fans in other sections of the country took on the yinzer mantra hoping their being from Tidewater and wearing a Pens jersey would authenticate their fandom.     During the transition from blue collar to health care and service industry, many hipsters, etc. moved into the city and have tried to mold it in their image.    Ain't gonna happen.     As an old fart (:old:), when I hear "yinz" I think either young or band wagon.       :)     Hell, there's a whole website on Pittsburgese:

http://www.pittsburghese.com/

I moved away from W PA when I got out of the Army.    I go back to visit a couple of times a year.    When I'm out and about in the DC area, I often pick out the "accent" and my first question is, "Where yunz from?"     The ensuing conversation can last a long time.     :)

OT   I attended a game during the Pirates series.    I had an 8 X 10 picture of my avatar with me.    I'd chat up a fan in Bucs' gear and ask 'em if they knew who he was.    Interesting conversations around that picture.