Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43406 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
that kind of money doesn't buy you what it used to

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

I'd like to have $330,000,000 and find out.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
.910 OPS for the year so far which is higher than what he had last year. Their lineup will be fine. Pitching is their problem.

Sounds like a you problem.

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline mitlen

Offline mitlen

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=yinz&amp=true

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Pittsburghese&amp=true

It's all generational.    In the 50s and 60s, there was no "yinz".    It was always "yunz".    When the yuppies and hipsters moved in and they tore down Forbes, Three Rivers, the Civic Arena and the mills shut down, the "yinzers" thought they invented history.

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2011/02/13/Is-yunz-is-or-is-yinz-ain-t-from-Pittsburgh/stories/201102130223

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
It's all generational.    In the 50s and 60s, there was no "yinz".    It was always "yunz".    When the yuppies and hipsters moved in and they tore down Forbes, Three Rivers, the Civic Arena and the mills shut down, the "yinzers" thought they invented history.

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2011/02/13/Is-yunz-is-or-is-yinz-ain-t-from-Pittsburgh/stories/201102130223

I wasn't trying to contradict. I just think it's funny that there exists such a detailed description of the nuance on urban dictionary...

Offline mitlen

I wasn't trying to contradict. I just think it's funny that there exists such a detailed description of the nuance on urban dictionary...

I understand and appreciate that blue but it's like I tell my son, "History didn't start when you (my son) were born."    My guess is young people born in the 60s who became fans of the winning Steelers and Pens are the nexus of the usage of yinz.    Band wagon fans in other sections of the country took on the yinzer mantra hoping their being from Tidewater and wearing a Pens jersey would authenticate their fandom.     During the transition from blue collar to health care and service industry, many hipsters, etc. moved into the city and have tried to mold it in their image.    Ain't gonna happen.     As an old fart (:old:), when I hear "yinz" I think either young or band wagon.       :)     Hell, there's a whole website on Pittsburgese:

http://www.pittsburghese.com/

I moved away from W PA when I got out of the Army.    I go back to visit a couple of times a year.    When I'm out and about in the DC area, I often pick out the "accent" and my first question is, "Where yunz from?"     The ensuing conversation can last a long time.     :)

OT   I attended a game during the Pirates series.    I had an 8 X 10 picture of my avatar with me.    I'd chat up a fan in Bucs' gear and ask 'em if they knew who he was.    Interesting conversations around that picture.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
wait - you were at the Pirates series?  Which game?

Offline mitlen

wait - you were at the Pirates series?  Which game?

The "Bruins suck." game.      :)

Offline aspenbubba

Last 15 games   10 for 52  .192/.333/.385
last 3 games 0 fer 10

Hello Ryan Howard

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Harper will have his way with the Nationals this weekend :smh:

Offline UMDNats

Harper will have his way with the Nationals this weekend :smh:

Hellickson tonight will 100% get destroyed, Corbin may be able to put together a good start. Sanchez also a guaranteed L and monster bomb from Bryce.

Offline rileyn

Harper beat us last night by basically, just being in the lineup.  He forced the pitching change from Hellickson and 2 batters later the game was over. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Ryan Howard 2.0.  Last 15 games:

.204 / .328 /.426

For comparison:

Brian Dozier: .213 / .373 /.468

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Harper - .235 / .380 / .478, 6 HR, 19 R, 20 RBI, 1 SB
Robles - .258 / .299 / .483, 6 HR, 23 R,13 RBI, 7 SB
Soto - .248 / .368 / .467, 6 HR, 16 R, 22 RBI, 3 SB

OK, so the Robles batting eye is a bit weaker, but Soto is essentially equaling Bryce right now and we aren't losing any power with either of the replacements. 

Offline NJ Ave

Philly fans only have about 28 more games of his cold streak before he turns things around :)

Last 28 games: .192/.323/.356. Good news: only 12 more games to go for Philly fans before Bryce completes his quarter of the season cold streak!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Harper - .235 / .380 / .478, 6 HR, 19 R, 20 RBI, 1 SB
Robles - .258 / .299 / .483, 6 HR, 23 R,13 RBI, 7 SB
Soto - .248 / .368 / .467, 6 HR, 16 R, 22 RBI, 3 SB

OK, so the Robles batting eye is a bit weaker, but Soto is essentially equaling Bryce right now and we aren't losing any power with either of the replacements. 

The comparable is Adam Eaton as he was the odd man out if we kept Harper.

Eaton:
.291 / .351 / .396, 2 HR, 19R, 10RBI, 4 SB

So higher average, lower OBP/Slugging, and a few more stolen bases.  At this point it's hard to argue that we've lost anything.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
The comparable is Adam Eaton as he was the odd man out if we kept Harper.

Eaton:
.291 / .351 / .396, 2 HR, 19R, 10RBI, 4 SB

So higher average, lower OBP/Slugging, and a few more stolen bases.  At this point it's hard to argue that we've lost anything.

Harper has a wRC+ of 122, Eaton's is 100. SO Harper is 22% more productive than Eaton. Which I would say is much better for the Nats given the difference in salary.