Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43981 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

What other variables are there that actually matter and you'd expect to be different between the games Harper played and the ones he didn't?  I can think of really only one - lefty starter.   And that's not difficult to control for if one wants. 

And as to the difference, well - .558 is a 90-win pace.  .580 is 94.   That's a difference that matters, and in the exact opposite direction you'd expect if you assume Harper is really, really good.  Indeed, if you assume Harper is a 4-ish WAR player, it's literally the exact opposite in size.

I don't like going all stat nerd on people except when they make assertions about statistics that just don't make any sense.   I'll stop now.  To be clear,  I don't really buy into that stat for some of the reasons we've both mentioned.  I just find it a bit interesting.
I should have paid more attention during those grad level stats classes. 90 wins pace seem good to me.