Author Topic: Opening Day Ticket Sales - Convenience Fees  (Read 959 times)

Offline dunderwooo

Opening Day Ticket Sales - Convenience Fees
« Topic Start: February 26, 2019, 01:29:23 PM »
I bought some opening day tickets this morning and the convenience fees were $8.75 per ticket.  Pretty steep (and not very convenient). 

Offline miller10

Re: Opening Day Ticket Sales - Convenience Fees
« Reply #1: February 26, 2019, 01:41:37 PM »
I stopped going to opening day.  It's usually cold and to me, not worth the extra $ the tickets cost.  I could sit in the same seats for half the price a week or so later and pick a game based on the weather.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #2: February 26, 2019, 02:01:49 PM »
I bought some opening day tickets this morning and the convenience fees were $8.75 per ticket.  Pretty steep (and not very convenient). 

Thanks for the update!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: February 26, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
The fee didn't seem unusual.  However, the price for the 300s seemed pretty high - $58/seat.

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #4: February 26, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
Ever buy concert tickets?

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #5: February 27, 2019, 01:59:17 AM »
My dad hates "Convenience Fees" with a passion. It's actually funny to see him get all spun up over them. When I was living in Florida and my folks were in Atlanta, If I wanted to come home to grab a Nats or Cubs game he would make a point of driving to the ball park to buy tickets at the ticket office to avoid fees. He would spend 30 to 45 minutes round trip to the ball park to avoid spending $5.   :hysterical:

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #6: February 27, 2019, 06:08:10 AM »
Off hand, are you a season ticket holder thereby allowing you early access to Opening Day tickets? Anything available in the Presidential section? Looking this morning - just wondering if it’ll be the same ole’ song and dance whereas certain tickets won’t be released in certain sections until right before game time.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: February 27, 2019, 07:52:40 AM »
Off hand, are you a season ticket holder thereby allowing you early access to Opening Day tickets? Anything available in the Presidential section? Looking this morning - just wondering if it’ll be the same ole’ song and dance whereas certain tickets won’t be released in certain sections until right before game time.

There weren’t any available yesterday in the season plan holder presale. The best I could do was section 117. I picked up 2.

Offline phil219

« Reply #8: February 27, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
Did anyone get the text message pre-sale offer for opening day? The Nationals website says "text message subscribers will get special access opening day pre-sale at 9:30 a.m. on Feb. 27" but I didn't get a text message because I am a failure at life.

Offline Tim Cullen

« Reply #9: February 27, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
What would've been really convenient and maybe worth the convenience fee would've been if we could've chosen our actual seats as opposed to them just being randomly selected for us.  If you go the Nationals.com right now and pick any single game to buy tickets to (which the exception of Opening Day) you can choose the exact seat you want to sit in.  But for presales they are chosen for you. I like to sit on the aisle and I had to keep removing tickets until finally some aisle seats came up.

Offline dunderwooo

« Reply #10: February 27, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
I agree.  It was like that for the regular season pre-sales until the seats opened up to the public; frustrating when you are trying to buy additional seats in your own section. 

FWIW - I was at the Senators game when Tim Cullen made 3 errors in one inning...around 1969 or 1970...

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #11: February 27, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »
I went down to Nats park last week and bought tickets to the second game of the season. I went down to the park just because I hate convenience fees so much. I can't stand to pay for the right to buy tickets.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #12: February 27, 2019, 12:42:40 PM »
I bought tickets to the nats/reds in Cincinnati this week. The convenience fees weren't any better. I also had to pay an extra 5 dollars for them to mail me the tickets.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #13: February 27, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »
I bought tickets to the nats/reds in Cincinnati this week. The convenience fees weren't any better. I also had to pay an extra 5 dollars for them to mail me the tickets.

I've considered a walk up in Cincy.    I may be in the area and figured tickets would be available.

Offline Tim Cullen

« Reply #14: February 27, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »
What would've been really convenient and maybe worth the convenience fee would've been if we could've chosen our actual seats as opposed to them just being randomly selected for us.  If you go the Nationals.com right now and pick any single game to buy tickets to (which the exception of Opening Day) you can choose the exact seat you want to sit in.  But for presales they are chosen for you. I like to sit on the aisle and I had to keep removing tickets until finally some aisle seats came up.

It was 1969.  Not a good game for old Tim.
It's nearly impossible to get extra seats in your section for a pre-sale.  I did go down to the park the first day seats were available to the general public and grabbed the two seats next to mine for the Father's Day game.  That's my gift that day.  Forcing the whole family to go to a game with me.   :D

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #15: February 27, 2019, 01:04:59 PM »

I bought 2 tickets to the May 31st and June 1st games when they went on pre-sale last week...Friday, I think...  thanks again PWC

There were damned few seats available in the section we wanted, and pricier than I recall paying for even better seats on the secondary market 2 years ago...

It's a nice ballpark...inside and out...and the Trolley makes it so easy to get from/to our hotel across the river to/from the game...

We're going to see Fiona on the 2nd, though at 2+ years old, she'll be considerable larger than when she first became a celebrity...

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #16: February 27, 2019, 01:09:59 PM »
It was 1969.  Not a good game for old Tim.

Opening Day?   He went 3 for 4.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: February 27, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »
I bought 2 tickets to the May 31st and June 1st games when they went on pre-sale last week...Friday, I think...  thanks again PWC

There were damned few seats available in the section we wanted, and pricier than I recall paying for even better seats on the secondary market 2 years ago...

It's a nice ballpark...inside and out...and the Trolley makes it so easy to get from/to our hotel across the river to/from the game...

We're going to see Fiona on the 2nd, though at 2+ years old, she'll be considerable larger than when she first became a celebrity...
Fiona is overrated. You won’t see anything. She will be hiding and/or there will be hundreds of kids around you will have to push out of the way.  :hysterical:

https://www.skystarwheel.com

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #18: February 27, 2019, 01:12:48 PM »
...there will be hundreds of kids around you will have to push out of the way.  :hysterical:

https://www.skystarwheel.com

I'm not above that...  :mg:

Offline Tim Cullen

« Reply #19: February 27, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »

Opening Day?   He went 3 for 4.

No.  His game against the Athletics that year where he made three errors in one inning.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: February 27, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »
I've considered a walk up in Cincy.    I may be in the area and figured tickets would be available.

Be sure to let us know...  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #21: February 27, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »
Be sure to let us know...  ;)

It's a penciled in trip at the moment.    You know how it is when you're retired.    All kinds of adventures/road trips cross the mind.    :old:     Trip after Memorial Day would be solo.      Extended family is thinking about a trip that way in late July.    Not sure I wanna make that trip twice.     

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #22: February 27, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
You know how it is when you're retired.    All kinds of adventures/road trips cross the mind.    :old:

I do...I keep crammin' 2 pounds of crap into a 1 pound bag, too.  Still recuperating from this last trip to Toronto...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: February 27, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »
I do...I keep crammin' 2 pounds of crap into a 1 pound bag, too.  Still recuperating from this last trip to Toronto...

..   and then ya try to squeeze in side trips.    :lol:     My original plan was to drive to a National Cemetery in Louisville to visit the grave of my GGGrandather who died there in a Union hospital during the CW (genealogy trip).    So, I checked my original schedule (after Rolling Thunder) and saw the Nats are in Cincy at the end of the next week.     Bingo  ....   a side trip on the road back.     I get tired thinkin' this sh** up.    :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: February 27, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »
..   and then ya try to squeeze in side trips.    :lol:     My original plan was to drive to a National Cemetery in Louisville to visit the grave of my GGGrandather who died there in a Union hospital during the CW (genealogy trip).    So, I checked my original schedule (after Rolling Thunder) and saw the Nats are in Cincy at the end of the next week.     Bingo  ....   a side trip on the road back.     I get tired thinkin' this sh** up.    :)

Only an hour and a half away...crap...I get lost longer than that...  :D