Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 37867 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'm thinking both the speadsheet on Cot's and sporttrac's numbers have not been updated like the main page for the Nats on Cot's.

Cots says the MLBPA values the contract at 228.9 million. The MLBPA values Scherzer's contract at 191.4 million.

So if we believe that CBT numbers are based on MLBPA values, Max's should be 27.3 MM AAV. 

But it's not. Max is 28.6. This is because over half his deal is deferred with no interest.

Strasburg's contract has interest, so that negates any CBT reduction similar to Scherzer's.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Cots says the MLBPA values the contract at 228.9 million. The MLBPA values Scherzer's contract at 191.4 million.

So if we believe that CBT numbers are based on MLBPA values, Max's should be 27.3 MM AAV. 

But it's not. Max is 28.6. This is because over half his deal is deferred with no interest.

Strasburg's contract has interest, so that negates any CBT reduction similar to Scherzer's.

Strasburg’s contract has only 1 percent interest. So it’s value is discounted. Just not as much a Max’s

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

I think  he's earned some bonuses that may have upped the present value.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Did you honestly call me sport? How old are you and how old do you think I am?

Anyway, I and other posters have showed you evidence that your point of deferrals not changing AAV again at the CBT threshold is a wrong statement. So, you are wrong, yet you continue on as you are not.

Is it OK if we call you "Junior"?   :couch:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
anyone starting to get the feeling he's not coming back?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted

Not me. He will be back

Offline Five Banners

The title of the thread is one of the reminders why the odds should be for a return. He's already tied into the team for off-field matters, including his ongoing charity efforts. He just went through a healthy and productive postseason which not only boosted face of franchise status but showed on field value. Plus, the platoon and well-stocked infield situation gives him all of the time to be healthy and to be judiciously utilized.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
The title of the thread is one of the reminders why the odds should be for a return. He's already tied into the team for off-field matters, including his ongoing charity efforts. He just went through a healthy and productive postseason which not only boosted face of franchise status but showed on field value. Plus, the platoon and well-stocked infield situation gives him all of the time to be healthy and to be judiciously utilized.
you have to wonder if the negotiations are like "You want $4MM?  We already gave you a buyout for $2MM, and we are on the hook for another $10MM when you walk."  "Yabut you are offering $2MM.  I can make that just by walking."

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Phil Wood made another point this morning on Nats Talk. The longer Zimmermann waits to re-sign, the less time he might have to spend in spring training, which Zimmermann is on record as disliking.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

I have changed my mind and would now be happiest if he retired.  I am convinced it will turn into a Jayson Werth situation where he can’t play in 2021.  Not retiring after the World Series was a mistake.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Phil Wood made another point this morning on Nats Talk. The longer Zimmermann waits to re-sign, the less time he might have to spend in spring training, which Zimmermann is on record as disliking.
The two things have nothing to do with each other.  He can sign now and do whatever he wants afterward.

Now that there are no more real variables, it's weird that he's not signed yet.  As I said last month, I wouldn't be surprised if he retires on top.  Staying in shape for an entire season is not physically easy at his age.  And he's got other things he can do with his life, be it baseball related or not. 

Offline Senatorswin

I predict he'll sign a one year contract within the next two weeks. He'll have a decent year platooning. Looking forward to it.

Offline dracnal

I predict he'll sign a one year contract within the next two weeks. He'll have a decent year platooning. Looking forward to it.

Dunno that I agree it will be in two weeks, but I do think he'll sign a one year deal and ride the merry-go-round one more time.

Offline expos1994

I think he should walk away. He's filthy rich... he doesn't need the money. He's not going to get significant money... mainly because he's not worth it anymore. Why go through the grind of a full MLB season traveling, playing through minor injuries, taking BP every day, talking to reporters, etc. When you can spend time with your family and enjoy being rich and young. There's a huge pay cut coming for him and I don't know why he would be willing to do it. He already won a World Series.

Offline vicki4471

I think he should walk away. He's filthy rich... he doesn't need the money. He's not going to get significant money... mainly because he's not worth it anymore. Why go through the grind of a full MLB season traveling, playing through minor injuries, taking BP every day, talking to reporters, etc. When you can spend time with your family and enjoy being rich and young. There's a huge pay cut coming for him and I don't know why he would be willing to do it. He already won a World Series.

Look at Tom Brady. That dude is way older than Zimm, has way more rings than Zimm and is definitely filthy rich. He is just not ready to stop. The grind becomes a way of life I suppose and Zimm may just not be ready to stop. He doesn't have to work, we know this, but maybe he just wants to. Honestly I think he deserves to go out on his term. If he wants this one more year at a ridiculously low salary, just give it to him.

Offline aBaltoNat

I'm not a Zimm lover (I like him but don't have the same connection some of you do) but he should be allowed to walk and quit whenever he wants.

But I agree...if I was in his shoes, I would retire.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I am not on board with "he should be allowed to pick when he is done with the team." If he is not on of the 26 guys who should be active to get the team to its best record,  then I am not sure I want to give him the chance to do so for more than a token appearance.

Offline Senatorswin

When Zimm was healthy the last month of last year he hit well. If I'm him no way I want to quit at 35. He's got the rest of his life to do whatever he wants. I would only quit when I know I can't do it anymore.

Offline aBaltoNat

I am not on board with "he should be allowed to pick when he is done with the team." If he is not on of the 26 guys who should be active to get the team to its best record,  then I am not sure I want to give him the chance to do so for more than a token appearance.

I'm surprised you feel this way. I said it because I wasn't a fan when he was drafted as the first Nat.

If you can feel this way...I want to as well. The WS had me feeling nostalgic, apparently.

:D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
When Zimm was healthy the last month of last year he hit well. If I'm him no way I want to quit at 35. He's got the rest of his life to do whatever he wants. I would only quit when I know I can't do it anymore.
I agree with you, too.  I think he is still a viable 1st baseman.  I'm just not on board with saying he can stay as long as he wants.  I'd be happy with him starting the year in a
<--------
with Thames, and making them compete for playing time.  I want him as Thames insurance because Thames is inconsistent.  There's a little redundancy with Howie, but I get a sense that playing time will sort itself out if we end up with Thames, Castro, Difo, Kendrick, Cabrera, and RZ as our non-Turner part of the infield.  I suspect there's room for a Kieboom call up when he's ready.  Difo will not block him, and one of the old guys is likely to be DL'd at some point.  I'd only even start to think about there being no room at the inn if Kieboom was ready to take over 3d from the get go.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Yeah, this is where I am. He's got no arm, but he can still hit for average. His feet shouldn't be an issue anymore, so I think we see a resurgence for a year or so.

Sooner or later, he's too old. But I don't think that's this year.

I agree with you, too.  I think he is still a viable 1st baseman.  I'm just not on board with saying he can stay as long as he wants.  I'd be happy with him starting the year in a
<--------
with Thames, and making them compete for playing time.  I want him as Thames insurance because Thames is inconsistent.  There's a little redundancy with Howie, but I get a sense that playing time will sort itself out if we end up with Thames, Castro, Difo, Kendrick, Cabrera, and RZ as our non-Turner part of the infield.  I suspect there's room for a Kieboom call up when he's ready.  Difo will not block him, and one of the old guys is likely to be DL'd at some point.  I'd only even start to think about there being no room at the inn if Kieboom was ready to take over 3d from the get go.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Zimm is getting a ride today on a fighter jet out of Andrews.

Offline nfotiu

Zimm is getting a ride today on a fighter jet out of Andrews.
He's getting all his boyhood fantasies come true this week.  Did the plantar fasciitis become terminal?