Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 37903 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
5 million is a good number for him if he plays half the games and pinch hits. Question is who do you platoon with him?

Nats have been declining so many guys today. It's so morbid because you talk family and your guys yet this is the last time the gang will be together because like 6-7 or them are gone now

Ride a mix of Howie, Zimm, Cabrera, Moustakas, and ketel marte at 2nd, 3rd, and first.  Also have ketel marte as the backup shortstop as Turner injury insurance.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Unless there is another Soto or Robles like player coming up from the minors

Ride a mix of Howie, Zimm, Cabrera, Moustakas

Offline Mathguy

And what about Parra ?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

There isn’t.  Soto is a once in a generation talent.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Marmelejos probably wouldn’t be any worse than Adams as a LH 1B option.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I am thinking $8 to $10 million. He has value. For perspective,  they paid Matt Adams $4 million this season.

Offline rileyn

Ride a mix of Howie, Zimm, Cabrera, Moustakas, and ketel marte at 2nd, 3rd, and first.  Also have ketel marte as the backup shortstop as Turner injury insurance.
Kieboom is starting somewhere next year, likely 2B.  Cabrera and Parra will not be back.

Offline Mathguy

BS - you are reading too much detail into my comment.  How about an up & coming fulltime player ?

There isn’t.  Soto is a once in a generation talent.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Kieboom is starting somewhere next year, likely 2B.  Cabrera and Parra will not be back.

I'd rather see Cabrera as the full time starter at 2nd.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Moreland has been about league average offensively as a lefty with some pop. he's been above average defensively as first baseman.  he's coming off a 2 year, $13MM contract, so I'd think he could be had for Adams money. 

Bour is coming off a bad year but was a legit all star 2 years ago.  He's also a lefty hitter, and he's even cheaper than Adams was last year. 

Brad Miller made $1MM last year and is coming off a pretty good year for another lefty.  he did not play 1st last year, but has played ineffective defense at multiple positions in the past.  Came up as a middle infielder. 

Justin Smoak swings both ways and is Canadian, so maybe Exposfan87 has some thoughts.  Not an average guy (1 year hit .270 pulling his career up to .231) and has been mostly a full-timer while with the Jays.  He will seek a lot more than these other guys but may get desperate.

Neil Walker is also a switch hitter I'd think about and could be had probably for $2MM he made last year.

Of these guys, I'd look for a Moreland at < $5MM and Miller at < $3.5MM as a
<------
for RZ at about $5MM.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I think the best part of that post was positing Ketel Marte as seemingly a throw in there, including as a backup SS.  The guy isn't a free agent, and he just hit 32 homers while missing a batting title by fractions of a percentage point.    He'll get MVP votes.   Trading for him would probably require Robles, Kieboom, and at least one more top prospect (which the Nats don't really have). 

I thought ZDK was just kinda dim before, but now I'm pretty sure he's a troll.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Moreland has been about league average offensively as a lefty with some pop. he's been above average defensively as first baseman.  he's coming off a 2 year, $13MM contract, so I'd think he could be had for Adams money. 

Bour is coming off a bad year but was a legit all star 2 years ago.  He's also a lefty hitter, and he's even cheaper than Adams was last year. 

Brad Miller made $1MM last year and is coming off a pretty good year for another lefty.  he did not play 1st last year, but has played ineffective defense at multiple positions in the past.  Came up as a middle infielder. 

Justin Smoak swings both ways and is Canadian, so maybe Exposfan87 has some thoughts.  Not an average guy (1 year hit .270 pulling his career up to .231) and has been mostly a full-timer while with the Jays.  He will seek a lot more than these other guys but may get desperate.

Neil Walker is also a switch hitter I'd think about and could be had probably for $2MM he made last year.

Of these guys, I'd look for a Moreland at < $5MM and Miller at < $3.5MM as a
<------
for RZ at about $5MM.
Moreland is probably a perfect platoon guy. ~.800 OPS against RHP the last three seasons. Would take the bulk of the games, allowing Zim to become the Howie Kendrick role. And if we could get under $10 million for both, that would be a nice bit of production. Plus, you would always have a DH for the AL games.

Offline Slateman

I think the best part of that post was positing Ketel Marte as seemingly a throw in there, including as a backup SS.  The guy isn't a free agent, and he just hit 32 homers while missing a batting title by fractions of a percentage point.    He'll get MVP votes.   Trading for him would probably require Robles, Kieboom, and at least one more top prospects. 

I thought ZDK was just kinda dim before, but now I'm pretty sure he's a troll.
Also, Marte spent the majority of the season in CF.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Also, Marte spent the majority of the season in CF.

I was trying to cut a little slack on that point as he clearly can play the IF positions, but yeah.  Doesn't take a genius to think that taking a guy who just turned into a monster when you moved him to the OF and moving him back to the IF full time might be begging for even more regression than would otherwise happen.

Offline Slateman

https://mobile.twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1201649037834887168

Ryan Zimmerman just now on whether discussions about his future are all centered on the Nationals: “I think I’ve made my intentions pretty clear. It’s either play some more here or play some more golf.”

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Zuck:

Ryan Zimmerman, officially a free agent for the first time, reiterated that he’s not worried about his situation and that he doesn’t plan to ever play anywhere but Washington.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
He really is.  Truly a storybook career.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
He really is.  Truly a storybook career.

I imagine when you win the WS at the end of your contract, you feel like you can call it quits if necessary.

Offline Mathguy

That is storybook like, but a really competitive person could look at that success and want to do it again.

I imagine when you win the WS at the end of your contract, you feel like you can call it quits if necessary.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Zman is a class act. When you look at DC sports he will have a place in history.

Him and Ovi and the DC legends that we all love. If he has more in the tank let him play a year or two in a PH/DH for AL games/occasional start role. Well worth it for his caliber of play.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
That is storybook like, but a really competitive person could look at that success and want to do it again.

If he retires he can focus on his foundation. I think he has his priorities straight. He’s really a throwback with this love for DC but it fits

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
If he retires he can focus on his foundation. I think he has his priorities straight. He’s really a throwback with this love for DC but it fits

If he wants to do the most for his foundation, probably the best way to do it is play another year or two. If he's already decided that he's made enough money, any salary he makes in the future could go directly to that. Playing a baseball season in a lot harder than running a charity though...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Were he 28, I'm sure he'd want to.

Offline hohoho

Zman is a class act. When you look at DC sports he will have a place in history.

Him and Ovi and the DC legends that we all love. If he has more in the tank let him play a year or two in a PH/DH for AL games/occasional start role. Well worth it for his caliber of play.
Yeah, Ovi is great, Putin's buddy.