Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 37873 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Nats record in the 9 games since Ryan Zimmerman was activated - 3-6
Nats record in the 9 games immediately prior to his activation - 8-1
dancing diminished. chemistry disintegrated?

Playing on the road versus the Braves and Twins versus at home against the Marlins and Orioles does change things a bit...

Offline rileyn

Better competition?  Yes.

Something to forcing Ryan into the line up?  I think so, but I can't put my finger on it.  The lineup just doesn't seem to work as well with Ryan in the middle of it.  Other than the miracle 9th inning comeback (of which Zimm was a main contributor), the only other game we have won was Sunday, and Zimm did not play. 

Offline UMDNats

I mean, if we aren't playing Zimm we're playing Adams, who is unplayable right now, so I don't see a better alternative.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I mean, if we aren't playing Zimm we're playing Adams, who is unplayable right now, so I don't see a better alternative.
where's that picture of Howie when you need. Heck, even A$$Cab played a little 1st.

But seriously, I think having the 2 table-setters up top (Turner, Eaton) is pretty important.  Rendon and Soto need guys to knock in.

Offline djbaseball13

If you dislike Zimmerman then yes, these are the vital statistics that you need. However, when you watch the games, you will that the team has struggled. If he were playing poorly, then that would be different. Or, if he were taking over for an all-star 1st baseman then I would agree as well. I think it's really just a coincidence.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline nats2playoffs

Extend Zimmerman.

I recommend a setting of 35:

The Machine, The Princess Bride

Offline imref

Since returning on Sept. 1, Zimmerman has hit .292 with three home runs -- in six starts -- and 10 RBIs.

Offline Scrapple

The fact of the matter is Zimmerman and his plantar fasciitis has been an ongoing disruption to this club for WAAAAAAAY TOO LONG. And if our ownership is asinine enough to bring Zimmerman back, it certainly would not be for more than a minor league contract.

Zimmerman misses over 100 games a year, yet some on this board want to bring him back???????? I can only guess you’re a family member or an employee of F.H. FURR heating and air conditioning.  :crackup:

LETS GO NAAAAAAAAATS!!!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The fact of the matter is Zimmerman and his plantar fasciitis has been an ongoing disruption to this club for WAAAAAAAY TOO LONG. And if our ownership is asinine enough to bring Zimmerman back, it certainly would not be for more than a minor league contract.

Zimmerman misses over 100 games a year, yet some on this board want to bring him back???????? I can only guess you’re a family member or an employee of F.H. FURR heating and air conditioning.  :crackup:

LETS GO NAAAAAAAAATS!!!
:hysterical:

Offline imref

LETS GO NAAAAAAAAATS!!!

I want him back on an incentive laden deal, with a small guarantee.  He's better than any current FA option.

Offline Scrapple

I want him back on an incentive laden deal, with a small guarantee.  He's better than any current FA option.
Ryan Zimmerman has proven over and over and over again he can’t protect our better hitters. If we can’t sign Rendon I would look hard at J.D. Martinez who has an opt-out at years end. 3 years 100 million might get it done. He’s an outfielder but can also play some 1B.

Gonna need a right handed power bat from somewhere and I would start at J.D. Martinez.

Offline UMDNats

I'd be fine with that. The FA options are bad and I'd like to find a Kendrick-type who can play 1B/3B or 1B/2B who can split time with him.

Offline Duke of Earl

Ryan Zimmerman has proven over and over and over again he can’t protect our better hitters.
He has, but if he keeps up what he's doing, all the better, let them walk Rendon and Soto to get to Zimmerman and he can drive them both in.

Offline djbaseball13

LETS GO NAAAAAAAAATS!!!

I think the issue is different than you realise. The negative comments about Him are mostly about the injury. However, when he's healthy he plays well; -and right now he's healthy! The other thing is that Zimmerman is a lifetime National. He's the closest thing we have to a Derek Jeter, a Cal Ripken, Dan Marino, etc. He's been on the same team his entire career. Also, we're in a playoff race, so we should focus on this year. Zimmerman had a big game last night, and he hit a clutch double in the 7 run comeback vs Mets. Yes, Zimmerman's injuries are annoying, and we can't rely on him for an entire season. He'll be gone soon, and you can focus on someone else. How about we send him off on a high note like John Elway, or George Costanza?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Didn't Livo pretty much play for some change from the petty cash drawer during his last season here? 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I think the issue is different than you realise. The negative comments about Him are mostly about the injury. However, when he's healthy he plays well; -and right now he's healthy! The other thing is that Zimmerman is a lifetime National. He's the closest thing we have to a Derek Jeter, a Cal Ripken, Dan Marino, etc. He's been on the same team his entire career. Also, we're in a playoff race, so we should focus on this year. Zimmerman had a big game last night, and he hit a clutch double in the 7 run comeback vs Mets. Yes, Zimmerman's injuries are annoying, and we can't rely on him for an entire season. He'll be gone soon, and you can focus on someone else. How about we send him off on a high note like John Elway, or George Costanza?

There are people who are somewhat sentimental about Zim (like you and me) and those that are bottom line oriented. You can't convince the latter to be the former.

Offline imref

There are people who are somewhat sentimental about Zim (like you and me) and those that are bottom line oriented. You can't convince the latter to be the former.

If Zimm were hitting .200 when healthy, I wouldn't want him back, but he rakes when he's healthy so I don't see much risk to giving him say a 1 year $2 million deal plus incentives.  Again, the FA options aren't much better.

Offline djbaseball13

The players are what make the team. here's an example... After 9/11, I went to NYC for a benefit concert at Hammerstein Ballroom (next door to MSG) This was late Nov. so baseball season was over. Mike Piazza steps onto the stage to introduce the next band, but before he could say anything the crowd started booing. So, Mike Piazza stepped up to the "Mike" and said "my name is Jorge Posada".   The crowd cheered big-time, and the show went on. As for today's Nats... Zimmerman may be at the end of the road, but he's playing well. I think we should accept what he brings to the table, and wait until the off season before discussing his role in 2020.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If Zimm were hitting .200 when healthy, I wouldn't want him back, but he rakes when he's healthy so I don't see much risk to giving him say a 1 year $2 million deal plus incentives.  Again, the FA options aren't much better.

He rakes when he's healthy...for one or two months almost every season.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
If they re-sign Rendon, I could see Rizzo trading Keiboom for a package that would bring back Schwarber from the Cubs. Especially if they keep Castellanos

Offline imref

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/ryan-zimmerman-is-at-the-end-of-his-deal-and-its-hard-to-imagine-the-nats-without-him/2019/09/27/26b80faa-e14a-11e9-be96-6adb81821e90_story.html

He makes a good argument that Zimm is the greatest player in franchise history:

Here are Zimmerman’s totals, with ranks in Nats’ history: 1,687 games (first), 1,782 hits (first), 270 home runs (first), 1,014 RBI (first), 935 runs (first), 401 doubles (first), 630 walks (first). Think it’s all a function of longevity? Well, extend the parameters back to 1969, the first year of the Montreal Expos. Zim drops to second in just three categories: games (behind Tim Wallach’s 1,767), runs (Tim Raines, 947) and walks (Raines, 793).

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The franchise is less than 15 years old
I prefer to date the franchise back to 2012 because that is when Bryce walked on the field. 

Offline imref

I prefer to date the franchise back to 2012 because that is when Bryce walked on the field. 

Well, we didn't have our first camel until 2018.