Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 37885 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He’s earning himself a one year deal after the buyout

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He’s earning himself a one year deal after the buyout
I wonder if he's squeezing Adams off the roster next year.  Figure RZ 1 year, $5MM, but the bulk of the playing time, with maybe Marmalejos at MLB minimum as a lefty bench bat, Kendrick and a Difo /Sanchez /cheap FA as the the back up 2d/SS/3d.

Offline rileyn

I can't explain it, but our offense just doesn't function as effectively with Zimmerman in the lineup.  Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Offline Scrapple

I can't explain it, but our offense just doesn't function as effectively with Zimmerman in the lineup.  Maybe it's just a coincidence.
Careful, Zimmerman apparently has family and friends monitoring this board. Oh screw-it!  :crackup: It’s time to turn the page on Zimmerman. Get him and his plantars fasciitis the freak out of here!!! Both him and his nagging  injuries have disrupted this club LONG ENOUGH!!!

Bye-bye to fake flower / “Mr. DP”. 

Offline djbaseball13

It's an interesting phenomena. He has some clutch hits, but the team has struggled lately. Some other things have been off as well. Turner's baserunning, Soto's strikeouts, Rendon has cooled off, Eaton not healthy, Sanchez poor start, etc. The Braves have exploited our flaws big-time. But, I like the way the Nats have fought back each game, even though they lost. Let's hope we end the slump today!

Online Natsinpwc

Careful, Zimmerman apparently has family and friends monitoring this board. Oh screw-it!  :crackup: It’s time to turn the page on Zimmerman. Get him a his plantars fasciitis the freak out of here!!! Both him and his nagging  injuries have disrupted this club LONG ENOUGH!!!

Bye-bye to fake flower / “Mr. DP”.
Problem for rest of this year is Adams is not good.  And Howie can’t play 1B every day. It’s a classic conundrum. And they really have no good options beyond this year. Especially is they have to spend money to replace Rendon.

Offline Scrapple

Problem for rest of this year is Adams is not good.  And Howie can’t play 1B every day. It’s a classic conundrum. And they really have no good options beyond this year. Especially is they have to spend money to replace Rendon.
It’s time to turn the page. Have some cake and ice cream for Zimmerman and send him on his way.

If we can’t sign Rendon I would see if J.D.Martinez would be interested in playing 1B here with hopes that Kieboom has progressed enough to play 3B. ANYTHING would be better than ANOTHER YEAR of Zimmerman and his disruptions to this club.

Online imref

Justin Smoak is the top 1B FA, he's a switch hitter who posted .212 / .350 / .407 this past year with 20 HRs.  He'll be 33 next season.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Justin Smoak is the top 1B FA, he's a switch hitter who posted .212...

:hang:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Justin Smoak is the top 1B FA, he's a switch hitter who posted .212 / .350 / .407 this past year with 20 HRs.  He'll be 33 next season.
Nick Castellanos can play first base.

Offline rileyn

Let AssCab play first until he cools off.  Adams is toast.  Zimm is toast.  Howie must start against LHP.   

Online imref

Nick Castellanos can play first base.

A. He's never played 1B
B. I'd imagine he'll be looking for a long-term deal, and he's a Boras guy.
C. Moving from the OF to 1B would likely lessen his value

Maybe sign him and then move Soto to 1st?

BTW, Castellanos turned down Detroit when they asked him to move to 1st.  Might be a reason why they traded him.

Online Slateman

A. He's never played 1B
B. I'd imagine he'll be looking for a long-term deal, and he's a Boras guy.
C. Moving from the OF to 1B would likely lessen his value

Maybe sign him and then move Soto to 1st?

BTW, Castellanos turned down Detroit when they asked him to move to 1st.  Might be a reason why they traded him.
1. And? He came up playing third. Its first base.
2. He is 27. Give him one. If you're not going to sign a quality bat long term, then dont sign anyone.
3. He is putrid in the outfield,  defensively.  In an age when defensive metrics are values, he stands out as a future DH.

He turned down first base because he wanted a long term extension. He said at the deadline he was willing to play first. Detroit traded him because he was going to be a free agent and he wasnt going to sign an extension.

Offline rileyn

I like Castellanos.  I like Josh Donaldson at 3B for what it's worth too.

Offline Duke of Earl

Maybe our bullpen doesn't function as effectively with Zimmerman in the lineup? He hit a three-run homerun a couple nights ago that should have won the game but the bullpen blew it. 

Offline rileyn

Maybe our bullpen doesn't function as effectively with Zimmerman in the lineup? He hit a three-run homerun a couple nights ago that should have won the game but the bullpen blew it. 
He hit a 3 run home run while we were down 4-0.  I'm just saying, his insertion into the lineup seems to have been a disruption, as many on here predicted.  Yes, the bullpen sucks, but this is about the offense drying up.  Again, I can't explain it.

Offline djbaseball13

It’s time to turn the page. Have some cake and ice cream for Zimmerman and send him on his way.

If we can’t sign Rendon I would see if J.D.Martinez would be interested in playing 1B here with hopes that Kieboom has progressed enough to play 3B. ANYTHING would be better than ANOTHER YEAR of Zimmerman and his disruptions to this club.

Well maybe Zim will retire, but is he a disruption? If I remember correctly, Adams hasn't been playing all that great in awhile. Yes, it's a coincidence that the Nats have been losing since Zim has returned. You act like Ray Finkle blaming Dan Marino for missing the "laces out" kick!

Online Slateman

He hit a 3 run home run while we were down 4-0.  I'm just saying, his insertion into the lineup seems to have been a disruption, as many on here predicted.  Yes, the bullpen sucks, but this is about the offense drying up.  Again, I can't explain it.
Lol, I'm sure it has nothing to do with playing .500+ teams

Offline djbaseball13

Lol, I'm sure it has nothing to do with playing .500+ teams
Good point. There are teams who play to the level of their comptetion. The team has not played well, but has shown some perseverance although in losing efforts. If Adams was playing at an All star level then Zim would be on the bench anyway. We need Max to be MAX and shut down the Braves today!

Online Slateman

I like Castellanos.  I like Josh Donaldson at 3B for what it's worth too.
I like Donaldson this season. But I think after this year, he'll be wanting a 3+ year deal. Not sure how I feel about signing a 34 year old to a 3+ year deal. That basically puts him the same age as Rendon when their contracts end. Sure, it's cheaper, but I'm kind of thinking that the performance drop off with Donaldson is going to be pretty severe.

Offline UMDNats

Braves are going to let Donaldson walk, and they should. No way should we give him more than a one-year deal when he's due to regress next year.

Offline slhubic

good god, as a fan who has closely watched all of his time with his current team, this has to be a joke...  there's a reason, with all of the questionable returns the Jays did get at the trade deadline, that they couldn't move him for anything..  those horrible 'stats' are generous

Offline UMDNats

I signed Smoak in MLB The Show in the Winter of 2019 and in the first 3 months of 2020 he hit a ton of dongs and had like a .980 OPS, so let's not rule it out.

Online Slateman

Mitch Moreland will be a free agent. He'd make for a decent platoon option with Zimmerman

Offline ajcartwright

Nats record in the 9 games since Ryan Zimmerman was activated - 3-6
Nats record in the 9 games immediately prior to his activation - 8-1
dancing diminished. chemistry disintegrated?