Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 41288 times)

Offline rileyn

It seems like some of you are rooting against Zimmerman? Oh no, he might take a roster spot from a younger player, or maybe he will get hurt? I wouldn't want to be in a fox hole with you guys...  How about we bring him up when he's healthy and see what happens?  Maybe he rips a few clutch doubles down the stretch, and rides off into the sunset after the season? The pessimism here on this board is well noted
That's fine, but who gets sent down to make room for him?  Assuming we keep the same amount of pitchers, you have to cut one of the following.  Adams?  Kendrick?  Dozier?  Cabrera?  Parra?   Step up and name one.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
That's fine, but who gets sent down to make room for him?  Assuming we keep the same amount of pitchers, you have to cut one of the following.  Adams?  Kendrick?  Dozier?  Cabrera?  Parra?   Step up and name one.
I don't understand why we can't just get rid of Grace for a few days.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone isn't desperately rooting for him to return to form for the last month of the season. Howie is an awful first baseman and Adams is a one trick pony. He had a nice stretch at the end of June and in July, but the guy is simply too easy to get out. Yes, he'll hit a homer, but he'll also strikeout 30+% of the time and struggle to maintain an OBP over .310.

When Zimmerman is healthy and has his timing, he's a damn good hitter. We saw that in 2017 when he stayed healthy the whole season. We saw that last year when he came back from the DL in July and hit .295/.374/.538 for the rest of the season.

Whether you want to admit it or not, this team needs another bat behind Soto. It ain't going to be Adams. Howie could do it, but you're sacrificing a lot on the defensive side as well as the bench (althought Cabrerra makes that less of an issue). It's why I wanted to grab Nick Castellanos from the Tigers at the deadline. This lineup a really steep drop off from our number 4 hitter (Soto) to whoever hits number 5 (Dozier/Suzuki/Adams). And a healthy, mashing Zimmerman goes a long way to mitigate that. That's the kind of lineup a quality team in the playoffs has. That's the kind of lineup that the Braves have. That's the kind of lineup you have to bring in to the playoffs.

Offline rileyn

I don't understand why we can't just get rid of Grace for a few days.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone isn't desperately rooting for him to return to form for the last month of the season. Howie is an awful first baseman and Adams is a one trick pony. He had a nice stretch at the end of June and in July, but the guy is simply too easy to get out. Yes, he'll hit a homer, but he'll also strikeout 30+% of the time and struggle to maintain an OBP over .310.

When Zimmerman is healthy and has his timing, he's a damn good hitter. We saw that in 2017 when he stayed healthy the whole season. We saw that last year when he came back from the DL in July and hit .295/.374/.538 for the rest of the season.

Whether you want to admit it or not, this team needs another bat behind Soto. It ain't going to be Adams. Howie could do it, but you're sacrificing a lot on the defensive side as well as the bench (althought Cabrerra makes that less of an issue). It's why I wanted to grab Nick Castellanos from the Tigers at the deadline. This lineup a really steep drop off from our number 4 hitter (Soto) to whoever hits number 5 (Dozier/Suzuki/Adams). And a healthy, mashing Zimmerman goes a long way to mitigate that. That's the kind of lineup a quality team in the playoffs has. That's the kind of lineup that the Braves have. That's the kind of lineup you have to bring in to the playoffs.

Grace is gone as soon as Elias is ready.

Regarding Zimm, we are on a 50-26 run.  Our lineup and defense is hardly our problem.  At this point, inserting Zimm would almost feel like removing Jordan Zimmermann from game 2 against SF in 2014 (or perhaps removing Strasburg throwing a shutout at 94 pitches. for Suero).  This current lineup FEELS right.  I know that doesn't always match up with your fancy stats but that is what my eyes tell me.  I have no problem bringing him back on Sept 1.

You are worried about Soto needing better protection.  Can you imagine bringing back Zimm back for this weekend's series in Chicago?  Flashback!  Joe Maddon would give Juan Soto the Bryce Harper treatment and walk him 16 times to get to Zimm.  That would be bad.   It might break Zimm.  Again.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
The Braves score 4.98 runs per game, the Nats score 4.91.

Online Slateman

Regarding Zimm, we are on a 50-26 run.  Our lineup and defense is hardly our problem.  At this point, inserting Zimm would almost feel like removing Jordan Zimmermann from game 2 against SF in 2014 (or perhaps removing Strasburg throwing a shutout at 94 pitches. for Suero).  This current lineup FEELS right.  I know that doesn't always match up with your fancy stats but that is what my eyes tell me.  I have no problem bringing him back on Sept 1.

You are worried about Soto needing better protection.  Can you imagine bringing back Zimm back for this weekend's series in Chicago?  Flashback!  Joe Maddon would give Juan Soto the Bryce Harper treatment and walk him 16 times to get to Zimm.  That would be bad.   It might break Zimm.  Again.
Elias probably won't be ready until September. And the Nationals are feasting on crap teams.

Let him walk Soto 16 times. Let him run up his starters' arms and go into that disaster of a bullpen. You think he's not going to do the same thing with Matt Adams in the lineup?

Dodgers soring 5.55. We need more hitting if you actually want to try and compete in the NL.

Offline Natsinpwc

With all the complaining about the bullpen it’s amazing how well the team has done offensively. Turner and Eaton are having good years and Robles has come on. Only catcher is a black hole now when Gomes plays. Does Martinez get any credit for that?

Online Slateman

With all the complaining about the bullpen it’s amazing how well the team has done offensively. Turner and Eaton are having good years and Robles has come on. Only catcher is a black hole now when Gomes plays. Does Martinez get any credit for that?
You mean Gomes of the .836 OPS in the second half?

Also, we don't give Martinez credit for any good things here. Only bad things.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
You mean Gomes of the .836 OPS in the second half?

Also, we don't give Martinez credit for any good things here. Only bad things.

Wow.  I didn't realize Gomes hasn't been all that awful in the 2nd half.  Nice OBP for a catcher. - .228 / .380 / .456

Offline Natsinpwc

Wow.  I didn't realize Gomes hasn't been all that awful in the 2nd half.  Nice OBP for a catcher. - .228 / .380 / .456
.664 OPS for the year. He’s been feasting on the Brewers and Pirates. Don’t bet on it lasting.

Online imref

.664 OPS for the year. He’s been feasting on the Brewers and Pirates. Don’t bet on it lasting.

I'll take those numbers, especially when paired with Suzuki's .271 / .330 / .475 for the season.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
It seems like some of you are rooting against Zimmerman? Oh no, he might take a roster spot from a younger player, or maybe he will get hurt? I wouldn't want to be in a fox hole with you guys...  How about we bring him up when he's healthy and see what happens?  Maybe he rips a few clutch doubles down the stretch, and rides off into the sunset after the season? The pessimism here on this board is well noted

Your foxhole comment reminds me of something I heard in the Army.   

"When it's a dark cold rainy night and there's some SOB out there trying to kill you,  I'm the guy you want in a foxhole with you.    On the other hand if it's a dark cold rainy night and there's some SOB out there trying to kill you, you don't want me to be that SOB."

Online imref

Your foxhole comment reminds me of something I heard in the Army.   

"When it's a dark cold rainy night and there's some SOB out there trying to kill you,  I'm the guy you want in a foxhole with you.    On the other hand if it's a dark cold rainy night and there's some SOB out there trying to kill you, you don't want me to be that SOB."

Off to ignore land.

I heard it a bit differently: Never share a fox hole with someone braver than yourself. :)

Offline mitlen

I heard it a bit differently: Never share a fox hole with someone braver than yourself. :)

The problem is you never know til it's too late.    :)

Online Slateman

We just built fighting holes in the Marines. Not sure what the Army's obsession was with foxes.

Offline mitlen

We just built fighting holes in the Marines. Not sure what the Army's obsession was with foxes.

I used to ride the bus to DC.    Many a time,  personnel from the Pentagon would take the bus.   I often wondered what they did.    We got into a discussion about it and one of the officers asked me, "How did you get to work in the Army?"    I responded, "I rolled over and there I was."

Offline djbaseball13

I'm not saying that he has to play every game. He can certainly play vs lefties, and pinch hit in others. I'd rather have Zim at bat than Joe Ross in the 14th inning.

Online Slateman

I used to ride the bus to DC.    Many a time,  personnel from the Pentagon would take the bus.   I often wondered what they did.    We got into a discussion about it and one of the officers asked me, "How did you get to work in the Army?"    I responded, "I rolled over and there I was."
I get super super giddy when I see Colonels riding the metro to the pentagon. They have less power and authority there than I did in an infantry battalion as an E-4

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I'm not saying that he has to play every game. He can certainly play vs lefties, and pinch hit in others. I'd rather have Zim at bat than Joe Ross in the 14th inning.

WTF :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline rileyn

Again, in order to make room for Zimm prior to September, you have cut somebody.  Which position player is it going to be? 

Adams
Kendrick
Cabrera
Dozier
Parra

Who ya cuttin?

Online Slateman

Again, in order to make room for Zimm prior to September, you have cut somebody.  Which position player is it going to be? 

Adams
Kendrick
Cabrera
Dozier
Parra

Who ya cuttin?
Grace

Online Slateman

https://www.mlb.com/news/nl-east-players-with-something-to-prove
Nationals: Ryan Zimmerman, 1B

Two separate bouts with plantar fasciitis have limited Zimmerman to 33 games, but the veteran first baseman recently started a rehab assignment and could be a key contributor down the stretch. He’s produced a .700 OPS in 132 plate appearances thus far, but the .908 OPS he has constructed in 32 plate appearances against left-handers suggests he could provide value off the bench and form a strong first-base platoon with Matt Adams. Zimmerman is the most beloved player in Nationals’ history. His $18 million option for the 2020 season likely won’t be exercised, but a strong finish would give him some leverage when both parties attempt to extend their partnership past this season.

Online imref

Zimm can stay in the minors on a rehab assignment for up to 20 days, we won't see him before 9/1 IMHO.  After 9/1, assuming he's good to go, he'll slot back in as the primary 1B.  Depending on how he does in September will determine whether or not he's on the roster come playoff time.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online Slateman

Zimm can stay in the minors on a rehab assignment for up to 20 days, we won't see him before 9/1 IMHO.  After 9/1, assuming he's good to go, he'll slot back in as the primary 1B.  Depending on how he does in September will determine whether or not he's on the roster come playoff time.
Why wait? We need to know if Zim is going to be able to OPS over .900 in the postseason a hell of a lot more than we need Elias to not get left-handed hitters out right now.

Offline rileyn

Why wait? We need to know if Zim is going to be able to OPS over .900 in the postseason a hell of a lot more than we need Elias to not get left-handed hitters out right now.
No we don’t. Our biggest issue is the bullpen.  I want to know who can get outs in critical situations.