Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 37887 times)

Online Mattionals

Re: Where is Zimmerman Killing Us More?
« Reply #75: March 11, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »
I hope the players union pushes hard for the DH in all leagues if they intend to strike before 2020. The current CBA expires after the 2021 season, and this issue of platooning a 1B wouldn't exist. With the DH and a 26 man roster, an extra utility hitter could be utilized to play the hot hand. Zim would be the starting 1B or DH depending on if he needed a day off, and Adams could be the opposite for RH opponents and lefty opponents would have to face the other utility guy, preferably right hitting.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #76: March 13, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »
Won’t need to.  Zimm will get hurt.

If he does, I'm jumping off the Zimm bandwagon.  And I'm the driver of that bus !

Dude's 34 years old, not exactly a geezer.  But he's being paid serious money to play, and has been having geezer "injuries".

No more defense from me now.  You're hurt ?  Then retire.  If not, get your fat ass out there and play !

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #77: March 13, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »
If he does, I'm jumping off the Zimm bandwagon.  And I'm the driver of that bus !

Dude's 34 years old, not exactly a geezer.  But he's being paid serious money to play, and has been having geezer "injuries".

No more defense from me now.  You're hurt ?  Then retire.  If not, get your fat ass out there and play !
Not to mention that he's probably the slowest guy on the team now (except for Adams).

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #78: March 13, 2019, 08:55:47 PM »
Not to mention that he's probably the slowest guy on the team now (except for Adams).

And probably the smartest guy on the team.

He needs to use that intelligence to make up for the fact that he's apparently now a gimpy 34 year old !

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #79: March 13, 2019, 09:20:13 PM »
And probably the smartest guy on the team.

He needs to use that intelligence to make up for the fact that he's apparently now a gimpy 34 year old !
That's how he figured out how to throw the way he does. 

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #80: March 13, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »
That's how he figured out how to throw the way he does. 

Hurts to watch that, doesn't it ?

Now, he needs to learn how to run when it hurts....

Plantar fasciitis ?  Play trough it !

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #81: March 13, 2019, 10:07:51 PM »
Hurts to watch that, doesn't it ?

Now, he needs to learn how to run when it hurts....

Plantar fasciitis ?  Play trough it !
Gets paid the same either way. 

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #82: March 13, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
Gets paid the same either way. 

I am thinking that, as the Original National and Face of the Franchise, Zimm won't want to be seen in that light.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #83: March 15, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »
In the post-PED era, 34 is old.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #84: March 15, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
Zimmerman just hit his first HR of the spring.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #85: March 15, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
Zimmerman just hit his first HR of the spring.

Did he run the bases, or nah?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #86: March 15, 2019, 02:36:33 PM »

He used the bullpen cart. :)

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #87: March 15, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »
Don't give the commissioner any ideas.

Online imref

« Reply #88: March 15, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »
Zimm looked quite fine today.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #89: March 15, 2019, 04:12:22 PM »
 :hysterical:
Don't give the commissioner any ideas.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #90: March 17, 2019, 07:31:54 PM »
In the post-PED era, 34 is old.

I don't disagree.  But still...

I'm 20 years older than my favorite player.  And I could still run the bases without going on the DL.

Not to mention the fact that I don't have a guaranteed 8 figure salary this year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #91: March 18, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »
I don't disagree.  But still...

I'm 20 years older than my favorite player.  And I could still run the bases without going on the DL.

Not to mention the fact that I don't have a guaranteed 8 figure salary this year.

PF hurts like hell. It's not the kind of annoying, aching pain that you can ignore. You take a step and your body defends itself from the pain. You can wince through it after the first step, but that first step... you don't will yourself through it. The only answer for PF is prolonged rest.

You might be able to trot your old, decrepit self around the bases, but even broken down Zim would be at 2nd before you  got to first. You're giving yourself way, way too much credit.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #92: March 21, 2019, 06:31:42 PM »
PF hurts like hell. It's not the kind of annoying, aching pain that you can ignore. You take a step and your body defends itself from the pain. You can wince through it after the first step, but that first step... you don't will yourself through it. The only answer for PF is prolonged rest.

You might be able to trot your old, decrepit self around the bases, but even broken down Zim would be at 2nd before you  got to first. You're giving yourself way, way too much credit.

Not a chance, you Montgomery Country monkey. :P

I'm lean and mean.  The only Zimm that could have potentially beat me in running the bases was that fresh faced kid that got drafted out of UVA.

Bear in mind, I make NO claims about being able to hit professional pitching.  No can do, so...

And stop making excuses for PF like it's freakin' cancer.  It's fixable, get surgery or something !

Online imref

« Reply #93: March 21, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »
Just hit his second jack of the spring.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #94: March 21, 2019, 07:27:02 PM »
Just hit his second jack of the spring.

Did he hobble around the bases*?

*Improved by Moderator

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #95: March 22, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
Did he hobble around the bases*?

*Improved by Moderator
What, you don't think guys who hobble around the bases are Montgomery County sissies?

Online imref

« Reply #96: March 22, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
On Zimmerman's running, here's Zuckerman from a few days ago:

For example: Ryan Zimmerman’s baserunning. This isn’t typically something that gets noticed, good or bad, but something noteworthy did happen during the bottom of the second inning.

First up, Zimmerman beat out a grounder to third for an infield single. Then he went first to third on Yan Gomes’ base hit to left-center, an aggressive move on a ball hit in front of him that paid off. And then he scampered home on Andrew Stevenson’s safety squeeze bunt.

That’s a lot of running around the bases in one shot for Zimmerman. And he appeared to come out of it all feeling great, because he stayed in the game all the way through the seventh inning.

“He looks really good, and he feels good,” said manager Davey Martinez, who then knocked the side of his head twice while adding: “We want to keep him right there.”

For all the consternation last spring about Zimmerman’s lack of game action and all the handwringing heading into this camp about his plan to get more involved, the veteran first baseman has enjoyed a nice, quiet spring. In a good way.

Zimmerman has played in nine Grapefruit League games to date, and he should play in at least three more before the team heads north Sunday night. He has played in back-to-back games. He has played up to seven innings at first base. All indications are that he’s healthy and ready to enter the season in good shape.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #97: March 22, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »
So hes going to get hurt running the bases before the season

Offline Expos

« Reply #98: March 24, 2019, 05:18:26 AM »
Matt Adams should be the starting 1B over Zimmerman.....dude is done.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #99: March 24, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
What, you don't think guys who hobble around the bases are Montgomery County sissies?

I do, yep ! :D