Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 38822 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

If Zimm were hitting .200 when healthy, I wouldn't want him back, but he rakes when he's healthy so I don't see much risk to giving him say a 1 year $2 million deal plus incentives.  Again, the FA options aren't much better.

I tend to doubt we go get an "everyday" 1B, so my guess is some type of platoon with 2semi-affordable guys.  Do we need them to be a righty/lefty platoon?  I'm not sure.  I think this organization and Zim would both love to work together on him returning on a 1-year deal.  Maybe 2.  I think both parties want him to retire a Nat. 

I would imagine some AL teams would have interest in Howie as mostly a DH.  His bat is lights out, but the more he plays the field the mroe he runs the risk of injury.  If we have Ryan as an old-man part-timer at 1B, then we can't also stick Howie there unless those 2 are the platoon with no lefty. 

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Feels like yesterday I was watching  him and Soriano tear up the season. That 2006 season was really enjoyable to watch despite the losing. 40-40 and Zimm was a beast. I just hated goin to RFK to see it but then once I saw Simms Nd Soriano knock homeruns out that unbearable ballpark, I was cool.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I think both parties want him to retire a Nat.

No time like the present...

Seriously...I don't for the life of me understand why this is important when you are trying to win championships.  It's not like this guy is destined for the HoF...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Seriously...I don't for the life of me understand why this is important when you are trying to win championships.  It's not like this guy is destined for the HoF...

sentimental :smh:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Who hurt you that you're this way

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Who hurt you that you're this way

Ok, I laughed. By "this way" do you mean unable to understand the value of PR?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He's a pinch-hitter in the playoffs and a defensive replacement for Kendrick or Adams the rest of the year.  It's like him and Howie flipped roles.

Offline djbaseball13

He's a pinch-hitter in the playoffs and a defensive replacement for Kendrick or Adams the rest of the year.  It's like him and Howie flipped roles.

It might play out that way, but if you judge Zim by his play he's been pretty good. If you only read this board, you'd think he was the worst player in baseball.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
It might play out that way, but if you judge Zim by his play he's been pretty good. If you only read this board, you'd think he was the worst player in baseball.

yeah, but Howie has been way way better.  No way you start Zimmerman over Howie in the WC, but for next year, I'd love to see them both back, with Howie playing a 1B/2B role again splitting time with Kieboom (assuming we keep Rendon).

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

yeah, but Howie has been way way better.  No way you start Zimmerman over Howie in the WC, but for next year, I'd love to see them both back, with Howie playing a 1B/2B role again splitting time with Kieboom (assuming we keep Rendon).

I think Howie is 90% 1B/DH next year.  If he's in the NL, he needs to play mainly 1B.  He just doesn't have the range for 2B and it only puts him at risk of injury that prevents his bat from playing. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Howie should start based on his awesome offensive production this season.  He should have started all five games of the 2017 NLDS.  He started ZERO.

Zim can pinch hit and possibly stay in as a defensive replacement.

Adams appears only in a desperate pinch hitting situation.  Really desperate.

Offline Slateman

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Mods, please lock this thread.

Offline imref

RZ better be our starting 1B next year or I’m becoming an Orioles fan.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Extend the man. DO SOMETHING RIZZO  :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Retires after we win the 2019 World Series

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I'll bet you 3 beers he doesn't retire after the 2019 World Series

Retires after we win the 2019 World Series

Offline imref

Zuck tweets:

Zim: "There's a lot of people that think these are my last games."
Max: "I really don't think these are his last games. All of you think it's his last games."
Zim: "The last home game they tried to give me a standing ovation. I mean, I feel good. I think that we got plenty to go.

Offline Slateman

I choose to remember Zim as I remember Werth: Game 4 of the NLDS

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I'm thinking Zim comes back at a significantly reduced salary next season. It won't be a small number, but definitely lower. He would be a very valuable right handed bat off the bench, but I don't think they can pencil him in as the Game 1 starter.

The Nationals could use a left handed bat at first.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'm thinking Zim comes back at a significantly reduced salary next season. It won't be a small number, but definitely lower. He would be a very valuable right handed bat off the bench, but I don't think they can pencil him in as the Game 1 starter.

The Nationals could use a left handed bat at first.
they try to wrap up a lefty bat and RZ for under $10MM total.  Easily could be RZ and Adams for that.  Frees up money to dump into 3B, Stras extension, etc...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
they try to wrap up a lefty bat and RZ for under $10MM total.  Easily could be RZ and Adams for that.  Frees up money to dump into 3B, Stras extension, etc...
I'm fine running it back with a first base platoon of Zimmerman and a decent left handed power bat. There will be a dozen left handed first basemen available for cheap this offseason who can hit the ball a mile but not do much else. As you said, I'd rather spend the big money toward Rendon and Strasburg. Even if Zimmerman collapses next season and the new Matt Adams hits like 2019 Matt Adams, it isn't hard to find first base bats during season.

A platoon means he doesn't start often, but there are always injuries and pinch hitters need to be players who can drive guys in. Zimmerman would be good for that role.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I finally saw the clip of the home run last night. What a defining moment for Zim and the Nats.

I sure hope they figure out a way to bring him back in some playing capacity next year. He is beloved by the fan base and I think having him retire as National would start to build the culture and traditions that every organization needs.

Offline Slateman

Dude better be starting tomorrow night.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
he earned the game 5 start. will Kendrick start or will Martinez go with Cabrera and have Kendrick available to come off the bench?