Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 39172 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
No we don’t. Our biggest issue is the bullpen.  I want to know who can get outs in critical situations.
Doolittle
Hudson
Rodney
Strickland
Elias
Rainey

In that order. Done.

The bullpen is completely contingent on our big 3 going at least 6 innings. The only question mark is Doolittle at this point. And he'll need more time. The pen is set.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Zimm can stay in the minors on a rehab assignment for up to 20 days, we won't see him before 9/1 IMHO.  After 9/1, assuming he's good to go, he'll slot back in as the primary 1B.  Depending on how he does in September will determine whether or not he's on the roster come playoff time.

:clap:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline djbaseball13

https://www.mlb.com/news/nl-east-players-with-something-to-prove

Great post Slate:  You'd think that Zimmerman was 45 yrs old after reading some of the comments. Yes, plantar fasciitis sucks, but he's rehabbing. I think you have to consider all that Zimmerman has done for the franchise. This is the only team he has known. A healthy 35 year old Zimmerman looks like a win-win to me!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Again, in order to make room for Zimm prior to September, you have cut somebody.  Which position player is it going to be? 

Adams
Kendrick
Cabrera
Dozier
Parra

Who ya cuttin?
right now, we are only carrying 12 active position players - 4 OF, 6 IF, and 2 C.  Adrian Sanchez was sent out for Dozier and Scherzer is in for McGowin, if you look at the roster link.
http://m.nationals.mlb.com/was/roster/

I'm guessing that when RZ is ready, a pitcher is sent down. Ross or Fedde, depending on who is not the 5th man. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
or that pitcher could remain in the bullpen and someone like Grace gets demoted

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
or that pitcher could remain in the bullpen and someone like Grace gets demoted
that could happen, but I am guessing that they are not releasing Grace when 9/1 is a week away. Now if they needed a 40 man slot, then maybe Grace is an option

Offline Duke of Earl

No. If he's healthy and hitting then he needs to be in there!
No, he needs to be healthy and up to speed. Whether it's 50 at bats, 100 at bats, whatever,  until he reaches that point he is of no use.  And the problem is, when he does start hitting like his old self, he's only maybe 10-20 at bats from the next injury. And each time, that window gets smaller. His frequency of injury is increasing to the point where soon he will not be able to reach his Old Self Level before encountering another injury.  He really needs to just  go away.

Offline Slateman

No, he needs to be healthy and up to speed. Whether it's 50 at bats, 100 at bats, whatever,  until he reaches that point he is of no use.  And the problem is, when he does start hitting like his old self, he's only maybe 10-20 at bats from the next injury. And each time, that window gets smaller. His frequency of injury is increasing to the point where soon he will not be able to reach his Old Self Level before encountering another injury.  He really needs to just  go away.

He's only going to get "up to speed" by hitting MLB pitching

Offline djbaseball13

Exactly!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I thought "up to speed" was a reference to getting his pharmaceutical supply...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Saw him play tonight. He DH’d and went 0-3, with 2BBs and an RBI.  Looked uncomfortable running.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
2-3, 2B, BB last night.  Now batting .417 and OPS'ng 1.146 on this rehab stint.

FWIW Zimm can still mash when healthy and he has a history of hitting well in the postseason, and while Adams has been okay this season and has hit decently well since the break, I think a healthy Zimm can hit better than the .240s which is where Adams has pretty much been all season. Zimm can still drive in runs, he was on a 97-RBI pace last season and we know what he did in 2017. Zimm should start against lefties in the postseason and Adams vs righties, and either can pinch hit late in a game against an opposite handed reliever if need be.

Offline djbaseball13

FWIW Zimm can still mash when healthy and he has a history of hitting well in the postseason, and while Adams has been okay this season and has hit decently well since the break, I think a healthy Zimm can hit better than the .240s which is where Adams has pretty much been all season. Zimm can still drive in runs, he was on a 97-RBI pace last season and we know what he did in 2017. Zimm should start against lefties in the postseason and Adams vs righties, and either can pinch hit late in a game against an opposite handed reliever if need be.

You're right! I'm (unpleasantly) surprised that many on here don't like Zimmerman. If you read the comments, and then compare his stats; It just doesn't add up.

You're right! I'm (unpleasantly) surprised that many on here don't like Zimmerman. If you read the comments, and then compare his stats; It just doesn't add up.

The combo of the injuries and his contract have had a lot of fans frustrated about him which I get, but doesn't change the fact that he can still hit and help the team when healthy.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I have a soft spot for Zim since he's an "OG" with the Nats and used to be the only good player really.  I also think he's still capable of hitting well when healthy and in a groove.  But Howie and Adams are a very productive duo at 1B, so I don't know that we stunt that to try and get Zim rolling during September before the postseason.  Obviously you put Zimmerman on the roster when rosters expand just to have as a bench bat, but I think a bench bat is what he primarly remains.  Unless you want to play Howie more at 2B basically swapping Dozier's bat for Zimmerman.  I don't think that's wise though, because you give up defense and I don't know you gain offense. 

Offline djbaseball13

The combo of the injuries and his contract have had a lot of fans frustrated about him which I get, but doesn't change the fact that he can still hit and help the team when healthy.

Well the fans shouldn't care about the contract. These are the same guys who buy 3 beers ($10/ea)  hot dogs, etc. and spend $100/game easy. "he can still hit and help the team when healthy" exactly!

Online rileyn

So if Zimm starts against lefties, and Adams against righties, does that mean you are keeping Kendrick off your postseason roster? 

Online NatsAllThe Way

So if Zimm starts against lefties, and Adams against righties, does that mean you are keeping Kendrick off your postseason roster? 

Standard decision.

Offline Slateman

Why on Earth would you start Adams if Zimmerman is hitting?

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Why on Earth would you start Adams if Zimmerman is hitting?
There is no clear cut solution.  If healthy and there is a post season, Kendrick absolutely needs to be playing.  We know what Adams can do, but we also know that good pitching beats Adams every time.  Zim might be hot or cold at any given time.  Parra is a professional hitter.     

Offline GataNats

Adams is rocking a .288 OBP.  One of the worst in baseball

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Adams is rocking a .288 OBP.  One of the worst in baseball

But an OPS over .500.  If he gets to be a platoon guy against only righties, he's solidly above average. 

I'm either leaving Grace or whoever the 5th starter is off. An extra bench player is a more important asset in the postseason than a 9th reliever. 13 hitters, 12 pitchers (4 starters and 8-man pen).