Author Topic: The List of Health-Challenged - 2019 Edition  (Read 25738 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
So out of the Atlanta series..

https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/1152315880904232962

Got a shot 4 days ago but last night he was seen wincing after long tossing. I'm not holding my breath for a speedy return.

Offline rileyn

We need to somehow scratch and claw to remain within shouting distance of the WC by the time Max returns in mid-August.

Offline nfotiu

We need to somehow scratch and claw to remain within shouting distance of the WC by the time Max returns in mid-August.
We still have a better starting rotation than any other NL team not named the Dodgers even without Max.  If the lineup stays healthy, and the bullpen is somewhat acceptable, we're still in the division race, and no reason to not keep our wild card lead.

If we do make it to the post-season, Max going down now is so much better than when he went out with his neck thing late in the season 2 years ago.   He didn't have time to regain form for the playoffs and was no where near what he is capable of being.

Offline LoveAngelos

Why do the Nats always pass false information about injuries.
At first with any player it is always "just a...."
Then becomes worse.
Not sure when we will see Mad Max again but what is to be gained by the lying?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Why do the Nats always pass false information about injuries.
At first with any player it is always "just a...."
Then becomes worse.
Not sure when we will see Mad Max again but what is to be gained by the lying?
1. Information is a weapon. Use it accordingly.
2. It's possible for something to present a certain way, and then get aggrevated later on.

Nothing they've said is inconsistent with this injury.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
They just said he was initially misdiagnosed with a muscle strain. Ugh

Offline LoveAngelos

Every time a player has a physical problem the initial " nothing to worry about" it is always followed by a " misdiagnosis " by this team.
I think Dr. Nick Riviera needs to be retired

Offline rileyn

We still have a better starting rotation than any other NL team not named the Dodgers even without Max.  If the lineup stays healthy, and the bullpen is somewhat acceptable, we're still in the division race, and no reason to not keep our wild card lead.

If we do make it to the post-season, Max going down now is so much better than when he went out with his neck thing late in the season 2 years ago.   He didn't have time to regain form for the playoffs and was no where near what he is capable of being.

Disagree.  We are freaked.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Disagree.  We are freaked.
over the next 25 games, which is about 4 weeks or 5 times through the rotation, they need to win 4 of the the Voth / Fedde starts and probably 11+ of the Strasburg / Corbin / Sanchez start.  That's .600 ball, which should keep them in good position. 

Offline Slateman

Every time a player has a physical problem the initial " nothing to worry about" it is always followed by a " misdiagnosis " by this team.
Did it occur to you that the reports are via third parties who are not actually privy to the real medical information?

Offline dracnal

I think Slate's comment was spot on - 'Information is a weapon.' I believe they minimize and deflect problems in order to not compromise a bargaining position. If you are looking for say, a catcher, and it's known that your current day to day catcher has a torn ACL, you're clearly desperate for a guy and will pay more. If the public perception is that your catcher will be out for 10 to 15 days with a muscle sprain, and you're trying to get a better backup catcher, you're going to pay a lot less.

Offline Slateman

Everyone needs to chill the freak out. Yall forgetting him rushing back in 2017 and it resulting in Gio Gonzalez starting two games.

If losing Scherzer for a few starts is really that big of a threat to this team's WC chances, then Rizzo needs to do his job and fix the pen. Simply having g good 7th and 8th inning options would greatly mitigate Scherzer missing 3-5 starts

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
[/s] because Max is done for the year

Offline imref

Voth has a sore shoulder

Offline rileyn

Hellickson should be eligible to come off the 60 day IL.  He is working out with the team.  Is he an option?  I can't find any updates on him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think Slate's comment was spot on - 'Information is a weapon.' I believe they minimize and deflect problems in order to not compromise a bargaining position. If you are looking for say, a catcher, and it's known that your current day to day catcher has a torn ACL, you're clearly desperate for a guy and will pay more. If the public perception is that your catcher will be out for 10 to 15 days with a muscle sprain, and you're trying to get a better backup catcher, you're going to pay a lot less.

Yes. The idea that the Nats somehow owe the fans accurate injury information is absurd.

Offline nfotiu

Is there anything to the murmurs that max might start tonight?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Is there anything to the murmurs that max might start tonight?

I wouldn’t think they would activate Ross if that were the case.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Placeholder for Zim.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Suzuki

Offline imref

Scherzer pitching Thursday, Voth to the IL per zuck

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Dan Kolko @masnKolko 2 hours ago  Max Scherzer threw a bullpen and feels great. Says his exact schedule is in the hands of the trainers/management, but he’s fired up and barring a setback in the coming days is ready to pitch again. 

- 📷Jesse Dougherty‏ @dougherty_jesse 2 hours ago  Max Scherzer threw his full between-starts bullpen today and will now see how he feels tomorrow morning. But results today were good, he feels good, and he deferred to Dave Martinez and Mike Rizzo when asked if that would line him up for Thursday.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Dan Kolko @masnKolko 2 hours ago  Max Scherzer threw a bullpen and feels great. Says his exact schedule is in the hands of the trainers/management, but he’s fired up and barring a setback in the coming days is ready to pitch again. 

- 📷Jesse Dougherty‏ @dougherty_jesse 2 hours ago  Max Scherzer threw his full between-starts bullpen today and will now see how he feels tomorrow morning. But results today were good, he feels good, and he deferred to Dave Martinez and Mike Rizzo when asked if that would line him up for Thursday.

Translated as:  Setback imminent, long IL stint expected.

Offline imref

shoulder tendinitis for Voth, no timetable for return

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Watching Scherzer throw in the bullpen is not encouraging. He seemed to be wincing.