Author Topic: The List of Health-Challenged - 2019 Edition  (Read 25769 times)

Offline UMDNats

Am I the only one who thinks the service time/arbitration rules are going to change by the next CBA anyways? I don't feel the need to concern ourselves with it when the rules are  going to change.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'm thinking 10, like the team that blew us out last night...

Could be. But the Yankees have shown you can rebuild quickly.

Am I the only one who thinks the service time/arbitration rules are going to change by the next CBA anyways? I don't feel the need to concern ourselves with it when the rules are  going to change.

Who knows. Honestly, what are the players going to give up to get that change? Big contracts?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
The best place to have our AAA team would be in the most laid back part of the Caribbean.  That would ensure prospects are ready for the Nats playing style.

:lmao:

Offline UMDNats

Could be. But the Yankees have shown you can rebuild quickly.

Who knows. Honestly, what are the players going to give up to get that change? Big contracts?

To be fair the Yankees had like 2-3 years of total mediocrity (bad for their standards) while they were rebuilding, and also changed their player development pretty substantially. Their trades were also incredibly well-done and creative. It'll be tough for Rizzo to do the same here. They had 3 first-round picks in 2013 that led to Judge, a trade for Chapman (Jagielo) and a trade for Robertson/Kahnle when they needed help (Clarkin). There's no Clint Frazier or Gleyber Torres out there for us.

And I also think that in the new CBA Super 2 won't be a thing and either arbitration hits earlier or free agency hits earlier. Either way, service time shouldn't be a concern IMO.

Offline Slateman

To be fair the Yankees had like 2-3 years of total mediocrity (bad for their standards) while they were rebuilding, and also changed their player development pretty substantially. Their trades were also incredibly well-done and creative. It'll be tough for Rizzo to do the same here. They had 3 first-round picks in 2013 that led to Judge, a trade for Chapman (Jagielo) and a trade for Robertson/Kahnle when they needed help (Clarkin). There's no Clint Frazier or Gleyber Torres out there for us.

And I also think that in the new CBA Super 2 won't be a thing and either arbitration hits earlier or free agency hits earlier. Either way, service time shouldn't be a concern IMO.

Robles and Keiboom are our Frazier and Torres. My point was a rebuild doesn't have to be a 10 year process anymore. I don't think anyone is doubting Rizzo's ability to make trades.

Offline HalfSmokes

For every Yankees, there’s a pirates; Just as many teams perpetually rebuild as rebuild within a 2/5/10 year time frame

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Zuck provides some updates: Kendrick due back Thursday, and Taylor begins a rehab assignment at Harrisburg on Thursday.  Jake Noll likely heading to Harrisburg when Kendrick returns.

Offline imref

Howie activated tomorrow. Noll to Fresno. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Howie activated tomorrow. Noll to Fresno.

Your reward for walk off RBI off the bench? Plane ticket to beautiful Fresno, CA.

Offline imref

Your reward for walk off RBI off the bench? Plane ticket to beautiful Fresno, CA.

He got to keep the ball

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He got to keep the ball
it's more than Moonlight Graham got from his first call up.

Offline imref

it's more than Moonlight Graham got from his first call up.

Yep, Graham only got to bat in Iowa.

Offline GNatsNoMore

He got to keep the ball
Doolittle said on the post game that he was trying to get Noll the base, instead of the ball, since it was a walk off Base on Balls.   :hysterical:

Offline imref

Per Brittany Ghiroli of The Athletic, Turner's timeline for return is 4-6 weeks from time of injury.  So, best case is that he's back around the 1st or 2nd week of May.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Per Brittany Ghiroli of The Athletic, Turner's timeline for return is 4-6 weeks from time of injury.  So, best case is that he's back around the 1st or 2nd week of May.

That's encouraging.  He should be fine moving forward without any lingering issues.  The biggest key I believe is keeping our rotation healthy.  It's a house of cards if they aren't, because our bullpen can't pick up any slack and we have no SP depth to speak of.

Offline aBaltoNat

That's encouraging.  He should be fine moving forward without any lingering issues.  The biggest key I believe is keeping our rotation healthy.  It's a house of cards if they aren't, because our bullpen can't pick up any slack and we have no SP depth to speak of.

Time for the rebuild.

Time for the rebuild.

Why would you "rebuild" with 3 aces and a well-above average lineup?  You don't "rebuild" because your bullpen is lacking.  If this year doesn't work out, you'll see some action dumping off a few pieces just like last year, but not any core long-term guys.  If for some reason they feel they can't re-sign Rendon, then maybe he'd be dealt.  Then they will re-tool in the offseason once again around the 3 aces leading the rotation and Soto/Turner/Robles leading the position players (hopefully Rendon on a new deal). 

Offline Slateman

Why would you "rebuild" with 3 aces and a well-above average lineup?  You don't "rebuild" because your bullpen is lacking.  If this year doesn't work out, you'll see some action dumping off a few pieces just like last year, but not any core long-term guys.  If for some reason they feel they can't re-sign Rendon, then maybe he'd be dealt.  Then they will re-tool in the offseason once again around the 3 aces leading the rotation and Soto/Turner/Robles leading the position players (hopefully Rendon on a new deal). 

We dont have three aces

Offline Natsinpwc

We dont have three aces

For grins...what's your list of aces in baseball. 

Offline Slateman

For grins...what's your list of aces in baseball. 
Max
Jake
Hader

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
3 aces? :hysterical:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline Slateman