Author Topic: Major Rule Changes being considered  (Read 10452 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Major Rule Changes being considered
« Reply #75: February 07, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »
I'd prefer if extras were decided by some sort of running man competition.

Hmm, team relay race like they do in little league?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #76: February 07, 2019, 03:57:46 PM »
I'm thinking we have managers play drunk dizzy bat to decide it after the 13th. First one to chug a beer, spin around the bat 5 times and then hit a ball off a tee wins.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: February 07, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
I could agree to everything but the extra innings changes and the three batter limit. Those are fundamental changes to the game that would take away it's appeal.

The strategy of pitching matchups is good stuff. If this is about increase offense, just lower the mound. If it's about increasing pace, put in the pitch clock.

And I would not mess with extra innings. That, to me, is one of the most exciting parts of baseball.

I think the 10th is too early to put the extra man on base. But by the 12th, bring it? 14 and above innings games are ridiculous. They are decided by scrub pitchers and usually end in front of 6 people. There is also an increased injury risk to the pitchers. I think this should not be done in the playoffs

I think I am not in favor of it right now. But I don't think it's as ridiculous as I originally thought when I saw it in the WBC. I'm no longer dismissing it out of hand.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #78: February 07, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »
Hmm, team relay race like they do in little league?

I'm thinking a dance off using the early 90's craze.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #79: February 07, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »
Lower the mound...who cares.
20 second clock...who cares.
DH...who cares.
3 batters per pitcher...no...that's just stupid and dangerous.
Play 12 innings and still tied...it ends in a tie.
Give me a 1 hour time limit on weather delays...either to start the game or mid-game.  Rain check for start of the game.  If 5 innings have been played...team leading wins.  If tied...it ends as a tie.
Keep concession stands open until the game is over.  This really should be the #1 change...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80: February 07, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
3 batters per pitcher...no...that's just stupid and dangerous.

Keep concession stands open until the game is over.  This really should be the #1 change...

Why dangerous?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #81: February 07, 2019, 04:24:39 PM »
Do away with the President's race.    No problem with a pitch clock and/or some kind of halt to the wardrobe adjustments.    Oh yeah, no DH.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #82: February 07, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
Why dangerous?

Guy says he's hurt...what do you do...make him pitch?  What if it ends his career?  How do you police fakes? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #83: February 07, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »
Guy says he's hurt...what do you do...make him pitch?  What if it ends his career?  How do you police fakes? 
per the ESPN article, you could still remove a pitcher for injury and the rule would not apply to guys who finish an inning.  To me, this makes a ton of sense.  Yes, no more LOOGYs, but excessive pitching switches really makes the game go slow.  Add in a DH, and you are already managing the pitchers for effectiveness so the two moves balance some of the impacts.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #84: February 07, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »
per the ESPN article, you could still remove a pitcher for injury and the rule would not apply to guys who finish an inning.  To me, this makes a ton of sense.  Yes, no more LOOGYs, but excessive pitching switches really makes the game go slow.

I don't know how you call bullcrap on a guy that says he's hurt and he's not.  I think this a layer that doesn't need to be piled on the game.  You only have so many pitchers anyway...at some point it has to stop...especially if you end games after 12 innings.

That's what I think anyway...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: February 07, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
per the ESPN article, you could still remove a pitcher for injury and the rule would not apply to guys who finish an inning.  To me, this makes a ton of sense.  Yes, no more LOOGYs, but excessive pitching switches really makes the game go slow.  Add in a DH, and you are already managing the pitchers for effectiveness so the two moves balance some of the impacts.

If that’s the rule, you’ll have loogeys, they’ll just always be injured after their out.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: February 07, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
I don't know how you call bullcrap on a guy that says he's hurt and he's not.  I think this a layer that doesn't need to be piled on the game.  You only have so many pitchers anyway...at some point it has to stop...especially if you end games after 12 innings.

That's what I think anyway...

I think that you could fix people claiming to be injured by mandating some amount of time until they can pitch again. For instance, If a guy comes out because he's hurt, then he has to go to the DL (or some other amount of time where he can't pitch.) So if you really want a guy to come out and he's not injured, totally fine, but you have a dead roster spot for 5 days or you lose your reliever for 10. There probably is some detail I am missing, but that's the overall gist.

I also think this is better overall for pitcher health. There would be FAR fewer times you would have to warm up pitchers and not bring them in if this rule was in place. Martinez Loved to "dry hump" the relievers, which they claim results in a lot of injury. So I think overall it's better for safety.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #87: February 07, 2019, 04:58:51 PM »
The Disabled list is now the injured list    ....  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25947020/major-league-baseball-rename-disabled-list-injured-list

I'm sure this will trigger some anti PC posters!

Offline hotshot

« Reply #88: February 07, 2019, 05:01:27 PM »
I just want the ball in play a lot more. Stop with all the K's for chrissakes.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #89: February 07, 2019, 05:01:52 PM »
I think that you could fix people claiming to be injured by mandating some amount of time until they can pitch again. For instance, If a guy comes out because he's hurt, then he has to go to the DL (or some other amount of time where he can't pitch.) So if you really want a guy to come out and he's not injured, totally fine, but you have a dead roster spot for 5 days or you lose your reliever for 10. There probably is some detail I am missing, but that's the overall gist.

I also think this is better overall for pitcher health. There would be FAR fewer times you would have to warm up pitchers and not bring them in if this rule was in place. Martinez Loved to "dry hump" the relievers, which they claim results in a lot of injury. So I think overall it's better for safety.

I doubt the union would ever agree to that. How often are guys pulled because something isn’t right? If they know it’s a dl stint, they incentivized to hide it

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #90: February 07, 2019, 05:05:58 PM »
The Disabled list is now the injured list    ....  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25947020/major-league-baseball-rename-disabled-list-injured-list

I'm sure this will trigger some anti PC posters!

The language evolves. Don't try to troll so badly.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #91: February 07, 2019, 05:06:58 PM »
I doubt the union would ever agree to that. How often are guys pulled because something isn’t right? If they know it’s a dl stint, they incentivized to hide it

If getting taken out of the game after 1 batter required a DL stint pitchers would be pitching hurt on a daily basis

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #92: February 07, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
I feel like teams would police this on their own.  There's been instances in big games where it would be advantageous to have a pitcher fake an injury before the next guy is ready, and I've rarely seen anyone appear to try to take advantage of that.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #93: February 07, 2019, 05:09:36 PM »
If getting taken out of the game after 1 batter required a DL stint pitchers would be pitching hurt on a daily basis

Zactly...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #94: February 07, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »

Make him ineligible to pitch for 3 days afterward.  That would be enough to stop the faking of injuries.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #95: February 07, 2019, 05:38:26 PM »
Make him ineligible to pitch for 3 days afterward...

If you do that, you'd also have to make fried chicken and beer off limits to them in the clubhouse during the game...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96: February 07, 2019, 05:49:41 PM »
Make him ineligible to pitch for 3 days afterward.  That would be enough to stop the faking of injuries.

Exactly. Like I said in the post, details could be worked out. I don't know the exact time, but there is some amount of time that would disincenttvize it. Like a manager isn't going to want a dead roster spot for 3 days. Or, don't even make it an injury concern. Just make it part of the rules: "you can pull this guy for whatever reason before he faces 3 batters, but if you do you can't use him again for 3 days."  Make it another strategic decision managers have to make.

It's not like one batter relievers have been part of baseball for time immemoriam.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #97: February 07, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »
Exactly. Like I said in the post, details could be worked out. I don't know the exact time, but there is some amount of time that would disincenttvize it. Like a manager isn't going to want a dead roster spot for 3 days. Or, don't even make it an injury concern. Just make it part of the rules: "you can pull this guy for whatever reason before he faces 3 batters, but if you do you can't use him again for 3 days."  Make it another strategic decision managers have to make.

It's not like one batter relievers have been part of baseball for time immemoriam.

What if the other team pinch hits during his time on the mound?  I think this really cripples a manager's ability to manage a game.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #98: February 07, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
What if the other team pinch hits during his time on the mound?  I think this really cripples a manager's ability to manage a game.

7th game of the WS.   Then what?     It's not a complicated game.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #99: February 07, 2019, 06:04:22 PM »
7th game of the WS.   Then what?     It's not a complicated game.

At least they wouldn't have to worry about sitting out the next 3 games if they left early. 

They sure are trying to complicate it though, aren't they. 

If this as all a smoke screen to divert players from their real issues, then I guess it serves a purpose...

What happens when you have multiple guys in the clubhouse that can't pitch for days and you extend others?  The whole staff could be put in jeopardy...