Author Topic: Major Rule Changes being considered  (Read 10062 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Major Rule Changes being considered
« Reply #50: February 06, 2019, 05:34:08 PM »
I'm all for speeding up the game, but a pitch clock seems a bit invasive and doesn't really fit the culture of baseball. I think the commisioner should just encourage pitchers to take less time and have the umpires facilitate.

What's the penalty after time expires?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #51: February 06, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »
DH, yes.
Pitch Clock, ok.
Reducing specialized relievers, good.
Starting a dude on 2nd in the 10th, nope.

Fix service clock manipulation, establish a salary floor and other means of preventing tanking, get rid of the damn draft and international signing caps.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52: February 06, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »
I remember Andrew Cashner playing LF at Nats Park once back in the day as well. 

Edit: Here it is - https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WAS/WAS201404240.shtml

It looks like Cashner didn’t even pitch in that one. Here’s the game last year when Romo and Alvarado we’re switching.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA201806260.shtml

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: February 06, 2019, 05:43:19 PM »
What's the penalty after time expires?

Ball

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #54: February 06, 2019, 06:15:09 PM »
The pitch clock in the minors is so out of the way and a total non-issue I always forgot it was even there. Players naged and moaned at first but they adjust.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: February 06, 2019, 06:23:50 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: February 06, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
IIRC, AA and AAA NL leagues don't have a DH except for the PCL (and there it's by manager agreement when two NL affiliates are playing against one another). I just don't see how removing 50% of the strategy of the game improves the game.
I think the opposite is true. DHS is the rule everywhere except the Nl and one of the Japanese leagues.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #57: February 06, 2019, 08:52:32 PM »
I can't get behind the old tradition of no DH anymore. The position has morphed. Look at how the Yankees deploy it, where you can cycle bats around for guys who could use a day or two of rest but keep them in the lineup.

Think of how the Nats could implement this. Re-sign Harper, and he, Zim, and Eaton can rotate around. Harper plays 1B and RF, so you can keep all three in the lineup but only two are Fielding at a time.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #58: February 06, 2019, 08:58:36 PM »
To me there is great irony that with all this debate about speeding up the game MLB wants to add a DH to the NL which will add more leaped time to NL contests.
If the NL adds the DH it will lose some it's appeal to me but maybe I will get used to it the way a lepor gets used to leprocy

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #59: February 07, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
Great thread. Best in a while.

I'm always reminded of the Earl Weaver line..people who want to speed up baseball don't really like baseball in the first place.

Having said that, I'm all for the pitch clock to keep people engaged.

I'm OK with the DH. The strategy thing is overrated. No one comes to the park to watch the double switch.

No, no, no on the three batter min for pitchers. Would alter the game way too much.

Love extra innings as they are. They are the most exciting and unique part of the game for me.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60: February 07, 2019, 09:11:35 AM »
I think some people carp on length of games, but I think the real issue is pace of the game. A three and a half hour game can be exciting. A 2-0 three hour game with 8 mound visits and 9 pitching changes, not so much. And many of these rules would lengthen the game by increasing offense.

Adding the DH and the three batter limit will improve pitching in the long run and improve offense now.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #61: February 07, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
Commissioner's "encouragement" and umpires "facilitation" never work.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #62: February 07, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
I think some people carp on length of games, but I think the real issue is pace of the game. A three and a half hour game can be exciting. A 2-0 three hour game with 8 mound visits and 9 pitching changes, not so much. And many of these rules would lengthen the game by increasing offense.

Adding the DH and the three batter limit will improve pitching in the long run and improve offense now.

I think you're spot on re pace vs. length. if they were serious about shortening length of games, they would shorten the commercial breaks between innings, etc.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #63: February 07, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
Curious. Who are some of the permanent fixture type DHs available in the next few years?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64: February 07, 2019, 01:03:16 PM »
Curious. Who are some of the permanent fixture type DHs available in the next few years?

Ryan Zimmerman

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #65: February 07, 2019, 01:09:57 PM »

permanent DH-only guys are a thing of the past IMO. AL teams barely use them.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #66: February 07, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »

Here are some of the names I found that had high batting runs and bad defensive numbers last year (not vetting this list - obviously one year defensive stats are not great). These are just guys still playing in the field.

Castellanos, Harper, Hoskins, Jose Martinez, Goldschmidt, Rizzo.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #67: February 07, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
Individually I'm OK with or indifferent to most of these changes, even mildly supportive of a couple of them.

My gut reaction to the whole thing, however, is more along the lines of "Stop trying to turn baseball into the NFL!" and a sarcastic "chicks (and people who show up for free and barely pay attention) dig the long ball!!!" :roll:

Big "NO" to lowering the mound.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #68: February 07, 2019, 01:17:44 PM »
Individually I'm OK with or indifferent to most of these changes, even mildly supportive of a couple of them.

My gut reaction to the whole thing, however, is more along the lines of "Stop trying to turn baseball into the NFL!" and a sarcastic "chicks (and people who show up for free and barely pay attention) dig the long ball!!!" :roll:

Big "NO" to lowering the mound.

"I wasn't going to follow the nats this year but now that games are 10 seconds shorter on the average and the extra innings games have different rules i think i'll check em out"

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69: February 07, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »
I think these rules are somewhat to improve the game. But I think they are a lot about throwing the players a bone because they are really pissed about free agency. Players want the extra roster spot. Players want the new Jobs the DH will create. Players want extra innings limited. Players like the idea of pitchers not getting warmed up constantly to possibly face one batter.

Although I do agree that baseball has gotten boring. Baseball is more fun when we are watching play and not pitching changes and mound visits and baseball is more fun when people are on the bases.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #70: February 07, 2019, 01:40:46 PM »
Here are some of the names I found that had high batting runs and bad defensive numbers last year (not vetting this list - obviously one year defensive stats are not great). These are just guys still playing in the field.

Castellanos, Harper, Hoskins, Jose Martinez, Goldschmidt, Rizzo.
Harper and Rizzo are a long ways from that. Schwarber could be that tomorrow, however.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #71: February 07, 2019, 01:40:49 PM »
"I wasn't going to follow the nats this year but now that games are 10 seconds shorter on the average and the extra innings games have different rules i think i'll check em out"

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or just mocking me :lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #72: February 07, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or just mocking me :lol:

definitely agreeing with you that these changes scream NFL (in the sense that they tweak and add more rules every year, right?). i think a lot of these rule changes are dumb and ignoring baseball's actual marketplace and fan demos

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #73: February 07, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
I could agree to everything but the extra innings changes and the three batter limit. Those are fundamental changes to the game that would take away it's appeal.

The strategy of pitching matchups is good stuff. If this is about increase offense, just lower the mound. If it's about increasing pace, put in the pitch clock.

And I would not mess with extra innings. That, to me, is one of the most exciting parts of baseball.

Offline blue911

« Reply #74: February 07, 2019, 03:55:46 PM »
I'd prefer if extras were decided by some sort of running man competition.