Author Topic: MASN 2019 streaming options? (Updated for 2020)  (Read 4412 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: MASN 2019 streaming options?
« Reply #75: February 28, 2020, 08:32:30 PM »
Yep, I agree.  I don't think that is the end game though.   My guess is someone like Amazon, Disney/ESPN+, Peacock, HBO Max.. buys up a package of local in market streaming to make a splash for their streaming service.

IF the Nats ever get to go their own way, maybe they can broadcast on DC20 or one of those stations that everyone gets.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #76: February 28, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »
IF the Nats ever get to go their own way, maybe they can broadcast on DC20 or one of those stations that everyone gets.

It would be better exposure for the team, but that's a huge step back in TV revenue from the RSN model to ad supported local tv.  Like going from 60 million to 5 million if they're lucky.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #77: March 03, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »
It would be better exposure for the team, but that's a huge step back in TV revenue from the RSN model to ad supported local tv.  Like going from 60 million to 5 million if they're lucky.
Market adjustment.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #78: March 03, 2020, 11:22:48 AM »
Everyone seems to be in favor of MLB.tv becoming the only game in town, but I've always found their pricing a bit rich for my blood, and I can't see how that will improve if they're the only option.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #79: March 03, 2020, 11:26:35 AM »
Everyone seems to be in favor of MLB.tv becoming the only game in town, but I've always found their pricing a bit rich for my blood, and I can't see how that will improve if they're the only option.
As opposed to what? Paying for a cable services that broadcasts MASN?

MLB.TV is $120 a year?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #80: March 03, 2020, 11:29:30 AM »

Ted's crappy monument sports net app is $7 a month for "WNBA Washington Mystics, G League Capital City Go-Go, NWSL Washington Spirit, and elite high school sports." I don't see us getting cheaper for a Nats stand alone app, might as well get the whole mlb

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/monumental-sports-network/id1082655562

Offline The Chief

« Reply #81: March 03, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »
As opposed to what? Paying for a cable services that broadcasts MASN?

MLB.TV is $120 a year?

When you look at it that way sure, but cable is a sunk cost for most people, so MASN comes "free".  When you look at it next to various cord-cutting services and streaming apps, $20/mo for one thing seems pretty steep, especially for someone like me who's realistically only going to have time to watch one or two games a week.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: March 03, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »
MLB.tv has a pretty good price discrimination scheme. If you’re willing to wait a bit they offer pretty significant discounts at various points in year.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #83: March 03, 2020, 12:44:03 PM »
Or just buy season tickets and get it for free.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #84: March 03, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
MLB.tv has a pretty good price discrimination scheme. If you’re willing to wait a bit they offer pretty significant discounts at various points in year.

But if you want to watch the Nats you have to live out of market or get a VPN to spoof your address.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #85: March 03, 2020, 01:18:50 PM »
I hear you. Maybe AtBat is a good compromise. Listen to Charlie and Dave, get to see videos of all the big plays shortly after they happen, and compressed games the next day. $24 per year.

When you look at it that way sure, but cable is a sunk cost for most people, so MASN comes "free".  When you look at it next to various cord-cutting services and streaming apps, $20/mo for one thing seems pretty steep, especially for someone like me who's realistically only going to have time to watch one or two games a week.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #86: March 03, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
I hear you. Maybe AtBat is a good compromise. Listen to Charlie and Dave, get to see videos of all the big plays shortly after they happen, and compressed games the next day. $24 per year.

That sounds pretty good, thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah they email me about that all the time.  I'd definitely jump on it for playoffs if they removed the blackout restrictions.  I know there are ways around that but I'm getting lazy in my advanced age :lmao:

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #87: March 03, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Single team is only $93.99/season.

Cable TV isn't a sunk cost for many people any more.   In a lot of cases, people are just keeping their expensive cable package to follow a team or two.   

All the non-sports content on cable can be found somewhere else for much cheaper than cable and often more convenient.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #88: March 03, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
The Spoofer Special. :)

Cable TV isn't a sunk cost for many people any more.   In a lot of cases, people are just keeping their expensive cable package to follow a team or two.   

All the non-sports content on cable can be found somewhere else for much cheaper than cable and often more convenient.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #89: March 03, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »

YouTube TV is $90 cheaper per month than DirecTV for us. I can certainly spare one month's savings for the single-team plan because I’d still come out close to $1000 ahead over the course of an entire year.

Offline Section214

« Reply #90: July 20, 2020, 02:59:06 PM »
Sooo as a guy who cut the cable cord and went to hulu live right after baseball season, am i to understand that i am now screwed and have to go back to comcast? any better ideas?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #91: July 20, 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
masn doesn't stream legally

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #92: July 20, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »
Sooo as a guy who cut the cable cord and went to hulu live right after baseball season, am i to understand that i am now screwed and have to go back to comcast? any better ideas?
Yea but they frown on those links here. 

Offline nfotiu

mlb.tv single team with unlocator has been my best bet that last few years and seems to be ok to discuss as kind of a grey market?  Worked well with Roku last year, had some intermittent issues with Apple TV.   Can't test this year yet as there are no blackouts on exhibition games. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
masn doesn't stream legally
Technically, you can do it on your cable provider's service

Offline Natsinpwc

But not when you are away from your home internet. At least ok Xfinity.

Online HalfSmokes

That only works if you have a cable provider

Offline Natsinpwc

That only works if you have a cable provider
And even then it only works at home which is the one place you don't need to stream it. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
So another year and still no good options for locals?

Anyone use iOS VPNs that work well with streams?

I don't feel like getting cable just for a season that could be cut short, so will likely to VPN plus MLB.tv on an iPad.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
So another year and still no good options for locals?

Anyone use iOS VPNs that work well with streams?

I don't feel like getting cable just for a season that could be cut short, so will likely to VPN plus MLB.tv on an iPad.

Can’t use a VPN with a mobile device. The GPS chip in a phone or tablet gives away your location, so it won’t work, unless you jailbreak the iPad.  You can use a laptop though. I use ExpressVPN.