Author Topic: MASN 2019 streaming options? (Updated for 2020)  (Read 4514 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: MASN 2019 streaming options?
« Topic Start: February 05, 2019, 01:37:21 PM »
The short answer is no.

The long answer is technically no teams have in market streaming agreements in place for 2019, and there is a lot of speculation about how MLB will handle that this year.  MLB owns all in market streaming rights and have in the past leased them back to the various teams and networks to offer locally either with cable authentication or re-sold through services like sling/YTTV/DTV Now/etc.     This year MLB proposed a big price hike for that lease back option, and that don't go over very well, so there is talk that MLB will keep them to themselves to sell through mlb.tv locally, or sell them to the teams to do what they like with them.  Complicating things is that half of the teams RSNs are for sale as part of the Disney - Fox acquisition.   So, I expect there will be some movement soon on what this looks like in 2019.

If nothing changes though, I've used unlocator (which just spoofs location and doesn't vpn traffic) with MLB.TV.  I've chosen to put it on a secondary router fed to apple tv/roku/laptops etc that I watch the games so as to not mess with any other in house traffic.  It all works pretty slick and flawlessly for the last couple years and I'll help anyone who wants to go that route.

Since mlb is a bidder, I hope this isn’t just a way to depress the value and that they’re serious about in market streaming - mlb.tv is such a high quality product compared to so many other streaming apps