Author Topic: Nats and Taylor went to arbitration over $3.25 vs $3.5 mill, really? REALLY?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
An arbitrator sides with the Owners.  Sometimes you win...sometimes you lose...if you can call $3.25MM for one season losing.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I know who won. Like I said, I understand why everyone involved does what they do. But it does genuinely puzzle me that so many fans side with the owners.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I know who won. Like I said, I understand why everyone involved does what they do. But it does genuinely puzzle me that so many fans side with the owners.

There's a collective bargaining process...personally, I'm not "siding" with either the players or the owners.

But frankly, I think MAT was stupid to ask for more money given his performance last year.  Barraclough...I have no clue other than someone else said he didn't deserve it either.

I may feel differently about someone else given their individual performance.  But I certainly don't think owners should just give a player more money simply because they ask for it.  That's why there is a process to resolve disputes.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
One way to look at this - the money saved on MAT and Barraclough pays for half of Hellickson's salary.

I think the Lerners do not put money into operations of the team. Cash flow covers the operations.  I'm not sure they pull money out of the team in terms of cash, and they may kick money into capital assets (stuff like the DR baseball academy and improvements to grounds at West Palm, I don't know), but I'm sure they give Rizzo full backing to fight on the nickel and dimey expenses.  They did that with the city on the ballpark, which is why you have above-ground garages rather than below ground garages and usable street-scape.

Offline Nick the Pig

You ever negotiate for anything? A car? A house?

More of both than you.  Just an fyi.

Offline Nick the Pig

Funny there are so many people siding with the Billionaires pinching pennies...

Damn, are we on the same side here ? :P

Offline Nick the Pig

I don’t disagree, but for all practical purposes, the Lerner’s have unlimited money. Despite this they still took public money. And there are mulitiple threads here with people trying to figure out how to save them relatively small amounts of salary at the expense of players. I don’t think that anyone with the Nats could tell you with a straight face that giving Taylor or Barraclough an extra $250K would mean they couldn’t afford to sign some player. It’s patently absurd.

Holy hell, we are on the same side. :D

Offline rileyn

Hitting .103 and striking out on 59% of his at bats.  We have no other options right now, but it's time to cut bait here.  He has had so many chances.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
We don’t have any other options for a fourth OF who can play CF except Stevenson.

Offline Nick the Pig

Glad to see this thread is still alive... :)

Offline Scrapple

Michael Taylor’s  homers in games 4 & 5 versus the Cubs in the Playoffs just a couple years ago were both top ten moments for me (since 2005) because he is such a respectful kid. It’s too bad Matt Wieters and the rest of our Twinkies pooped down their leg and gave game 5 to the Cubs. If they hadn’t, Michael Taylor would have reached rockstar status around these grounds. 
If only for two days, Michael Taylor was one my baseball heroes. How quickly people/owners forget.

Cheap bastards.

Offline Nick the Pig

Michael Taylor’s  homers in games 4 & 5 versus the Cubs in the Playoffs just a couple years ago were both top ten moments for me (since 2005) because he is such a respectful kid. It’s too bad Matt Wieters and the rest of our Twinkies pooped down their leg. If they hadn’t, Michael Taylor would have reached rockstar status around these grounds. 
If only for two days, Michael Taylor was one my baseball heroes. How quickly people/owners forget.

Cheap bastards.

See ?  The noob gets it...