Poll

Vote for the M&G III date

August 31st - Marlins - (Camo Tank Promo)
4 (36.4%)
September 28th - Indians - (Pups In The Park, Stitch 'N Pitch & Faith Day Promos)
6 (54.5%)
Other
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 30, 2019, 05:11:58 PM

Author Topic: WNFF M&G III - September 28th @ 2:35pm  (Read 15058 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: WNFF M&G III
« Reply #50: January 21, 2019, 05:52:22 PM »
Then I'm going to propose we schedule the game a bit later in the season.       :-[

We can create a relay team.     VaRK can run the anchor.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #51: January 21, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
10k in combat boots of course.

Speaking of which, a Caps seatmate a while back was a Royal Marine stationed at the British embassy...one year he ran the Marine Corps marathon in uniform (including boots).  I'd have been unable to move from shin splints after about a mile.  I think he had a pretty respectable time to boot.  So to speak.     

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #52: January 21, 2019, 05:58:59 PM »

Speaking of which, a Caps seatmate a while back was a Royal Marine stationed at the British embassy...one year he ran the Marine Corps marathon in uniform (including boots).  I'd have been unable to move from shin splints after about a mile.  I think he had a pretty respectable time to boot.  So to speak.   

A High School buddy of mine did the Iron Man on the Big Island back in the mid/late '80's.  Finished within the allowed time too...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #53: January 21, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
We can create a relay team.     VaRK can run the anchor.

I can be the anchor...not sure about the run part though...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #54: January 21, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
I can be the anchor...not sure about the run part though...

If ya don't wanna be an anchor, you can do play by play.    :)

• babble on
« Reply #55: January 21, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
In uniform???  :shock:
A High School buddy of mine did the Iron Man on the Big Island back in the mid/late '80's.  Finished within the allowed time too...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #56: January 21, 2019, 06:02:48 PM »
If ya don't wanna be an anchor, you can do play by play.    :)

Probably better suited to be a sideline reporter...they don't do crap...  :D

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #57: January 21, 2019, 06:05:23 PM »
In uniform???  :shock:

Not hardly...though when we were both screwing up in college he did want to be a Green Beret.  That only lasted a week or so...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: January 21, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »
I used to work with this guy who was a runner.  When we were in Honolulu he used to go out for a light easy run at lunch.  Five miles in 30 minutes.  One time he went TDY to Diego Garcia and entered a 20K relay race; as his own team against four man teams.  They military guys got all upset when he won easily.  Was jealous as he was thin as a rail and would eat enormous amounts of food. 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #59: January 21, 2019, 06:07:21 PM »

I thought I was a bad ass for doing in boots and utes (full utility uniform) with my MTV (modular tactical vest) and E-SAPI (Enhanced Small Arms Protective Inserts) plates. All the way until I saw some other dude running it in the same kit, while wearing his gas mask. Talk about a beast.

I’ll never run another one again, one of the perks of being out is that I don’t have to run anymore. 😂

• babble on
« Reply #60: January 21, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »
I was gonna say that the 120 miles on the bike would be a real nag in combat boots (never mind the 2+ mile ocean swim).  But anyone who finishes that race has my utmost respect.
Not hardly...though when we were both screwing up in college he did want to be a Green Beret.  That only lasted a week or so...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #61: January 21, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
Probably better suited to be a sideline reporter...they don't do crap...  :D

Don't be dissin' Kolko.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #62: January 21, 2019, 06:11:50 PM »
Don't be dissin' Kolko.

Dude has it made...I wonder if they pay him too?

• babble on
« Reply #63: January 21, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
Working 6-7 days a week for 7 or 8 months...nah
Dude has it made...I wonder if they pay him too?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #64: January 21, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »
Working 6-7 days a week for 7 or 8 months...nah

He's lucky...the Nats never make him cover much of the playoffs...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: January 21, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »
He's lucky...the Nats never make him cover much of the playoffs...
So mean.  The Expos once made it past an extra first round they added one year.  Maybe we can have a flag flown for that?

• babble on
« Reply #66: January 21, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »
They won the '94 WS pour baise!!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #67: January 23, 2019, 05:27:40 PM »
Some things to consider with the Suite concept for WNFF M&G III...some are obvious:

1.  We'd have to come up with enough points for a Suite.  This should not be terribly hard to do.
2.  Not certain if Suites command a higher rate on weekends like the regular seats do, or how often weekend Suites come available.
3.  A suite would have to come available for a date that we could get a high commit rate for, and well in advance of that date.  Not sure how far in advance of game day Suites come available.
4.  Suites have a maximum occupancy.  Some potential attendees could be shut out, though past attendance would not seem to be an indicator of that.
5.  The Suite should likely have easy access to concessions...paying to stock food and beverage service would seem to be problematic...as would walking up or down a level to access concessions.

Just food for thought...maybe the M&G III is held in the traditional manner, and a separate WNFF Suite Night could be pulled together among like-minded, points rich individuals...if they so desired.  Personally, I think the beauty of the traditional M&G was the simplicity and informality of it all, and the ability to have family and friends join in. 

YMMV

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer...just thinking out loud.  This is not my M&G...it is our M&G...

Anyway...I did ask for thoughts, so good on ya for bringing that one up for discussion...

I think the next step is to get a feel for attendance...if y'all would chime in with a head count...understanding that the date for M&G III is fluid...

VaRK & Mrs. VaRK - 2

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #68: January 23, 2019, 06:54:47 PM »
Tentative for a single.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #69: January 23, 2019, 08:43:31 PM »
1.  We'd have to come up with enough points for a Suite. 
2.  Not certain if Suites command a higher rate on weekends like the regular seats do.
3.  A suite would have to come available for a date that we could get a high commit rate for, and well in advance of that date.  Not sure how far in advance of game day Suites come available.
4.  Suites have a maximum occupancy. 
5.  The Suite should likely have easy access to concessions...paying to stock food and beverage service would seem to be problematic...as would walking up or down a level to access concessions.

1. This should not be terribly hard to do.
2. There is a higher rate on weekends, should not be an issue if we have a number of people getting the daily bonus points.
3. If we start talking to a rep early I suspect we'll have no issue getting our preferred date.
4. The larger suites will accommodate us, no problem.
5. We should check on catering prices, my guess is that hot dogs and a fridge full of sodas and beer would be cheaper at a group rate than what we'd spend buying them on our own from the stands.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #70: January 23, 2019, 08:51:59 PM »
1. This should not be terribly hard to do.
2. There is a higher rate on weekends, should not be an issue if we have a number of people getting the daily bonus points.
3. If we start talking to a rep early I suspect we'll have no issue getting our preferred date.
4. The larger suites will accommodate us, no problem.
5. We should check on catering prices, my guess is that hot dogs and a fridge full of sodas and beer would be cheaper at a group rate than what we'd spend buying them on our own from the stands.

1.  I wrote the same thing that you just wrote.  Not sure why you truncated my post?
2.  I would have thought so.
3.  If I'm not mistaken, these are put up on the RCR site so that anyone can claim them.  How would a Rep help with that?  Would they even know what dates are going to be made available in advance?
4.  What is the seating capacity?
5.  That would not be my guess, but if that's the case, great...

Can we count on you to run this to ground then?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #71: January 23, 2019, 09:44:21 PM »
I actually think the weekends require fewer points than weekdays when corporations and lobbyists tend to use the suites.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #72: January 24, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »
I like the splitting it up idea. I would hate for someone to miss out on the Meet and Greet because they couldn't be there on the date we could get the suite, or because there was no room/ability to attend. A separate suite night would be cool if there was enough interest. Put me down for both. Much like my time in the Marine Corps, I'm just going to sit here and shut up until someone tells me where to be and when to be there.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #73: January 24, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »
1.  I wrote the same thing that you just wrote.  Not sure why you truncated my post?
2.  I would have thought so.
3.  If I'm not mistaken, these are put up on the RCR site so that anyone can claim them.  How would a Rep help with that?  Would they even know what dates are going to be made available in advance?
4.  What is the seating capacity?
5.  That would not be my guess, but if that's the case, great...

Can we count on you to run this to ground then?

1. You answered your own question and I agreed so I copied your response.
2. JCA is right, weekends cost a lot fewer points. Last year the Nats did not list the number of points per suite but in 2017 it was 20K for a Washington suite.
3. A rep would help reserve the suite we want for the date we want. We might be able to convince them to reserve a suite for us as we collect the necessary points.
4. A Washington suite holds up to 29 people.
5. The rep could also tell us the low end catering price. Can't get a suite without catering, even if it technically is allowed a fridge full of beer is the way to go.

Count on PB69? Maybe. I can email the Access account listed on the RCR webpage and ask these questions. I can offer up a tenth of the number of points needed and some of the catering cash. But for organizing the thing, once little league season begins my spare time evaporates.

(Full disclosure: I toured a Washington suite in early 2008 before the ballpark opened and I've always wanted to attend a game in one. If there is no other enthusiasm for this I'll make like Cope.)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #74: January 24, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »
It seems there is a good deal of enthusiasm for this in one fashion or another...just a lot of loose details at present.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks...