Author Topic: Nationals sign 2B Brian Dozier 1/9MM  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Nationals sign 2B Brian Dozier 1/9MM
« Reply #25: January 10, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
If only it were a shuttle and not a cross country flight.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them use AA more for this purpose.  But also, the flights are less of an issue for this than things like injury callups: the guys you are sending down are likely to need a couple days off after being worked to death and the guys coming up will already be present when the move is made, as you can plan things ahead. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #26: January 10, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
The full nine hits the cap in 2019.

Pretty sure they are about 3.2M away after this signing.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #27: January 10, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
If only it were a shuttle and not a cross country flight.

Just park him in AA...

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #28: January 10, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
It's going to take some creative contracting now to sign Harper.

No more than was before this.

Howie is probably gone. So It's only an increase of what... 2 million? With deferrals anything can happen.

Truth is the signing may make Harper more likely to want to be on the team. The moves made during this offseason probably makes D.C. look way more appealing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #29: January 10, 2019, 12:28:56 PM »
Pretty sure they are about 3.2M away after this signing.

Are you counting the Rosenthal and Scherzer bonus money? With the arb numbers and actual expenses total unknown the team will need a million cushion if they are determined to stay under.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #30: January 10, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »
Are you counting the Rosenthal and Scherzer bonus money? With the arb numbers and actual expenses total unknown the team will need a million cushion if they are determined to stay under.

They'll be over. Then we'll hear behind the scenes stuff about ownership  being upset at payroll

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #31: January 10, 2019, 12:38:49 PM »
No more than was before this.

Howie is probably gone. So It's only an increase of what... 2 million? With deferrals anything can happen.

Truth is the signing may make Harper more likely to want to be on the team. The moves made during this offseason probably makes D.C. look way more appealing.

Getting rid of Kendrick wouldn't get rid of his money except for the minimum (unless they're able to trade him, which seems unlikely for a 35-year-old owed $3.5 million coming off an Achilles tear and not exactly a defensive wizard before that). 

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #32: January 10, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
Getting rid of Kendrick wouldn't get rid of his money except for the minimum (unless they're able to trade him, which seems unlikely for a 35-year-old owed $3.5 million coming off an Achilles tear and not exactly a defensive wizard before that).

I think he's tradeable along with Eaton and MAT. Not saying I want that to happen. Perhaps they need to eat some of Howie money or perhaps they have to send a prospect and/or international money.

What I am simply saying is "if" ownership met with Harper just a few weeks ago, and if all they spent since was 7 million since, then that 7 million isn't what breaks the desire to sign Harper.

Life Lerner finds a way...

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #33: January 10, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
Another nice signing to a very nice offseason for Mike Rizzo and the Nationals staff. Regardless of #34 returning, this is going to be a very different looking team, and I'm expecting another NL East title.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #34: January 10, 2019, 01:02:30 PM »
Just park him in AA...

The Sens are going to have a banner year. :)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #35: January 10, 2019, 01:07:24 PM »
I think he's tradeable along with Eaton and MAT. Not saying I want that to happen. Perhaps they need to eat some of Howie money or perhaps they have to send a prospect and/or international money.

What I am simply saying is "if" ownership met with Harper just a few weeks ago, and if all they spent since was 7 million since, then that 7 million isn't what breaks the desire to sign Harper.

Eaton, certainly.  MAT as well, but right now trading him would leave them without anyone besides Robles who can actually play CF. 

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #36: January 10, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »
Eaton, certainly.  MAT as well, but right now trading him would leave them without anyone besides Robles who can actually play CF.

They won’t trade them until they come to terms with Harper

It is scary to think about tho wouldn’t you agree. Getting rid of both Taylor and Eaton when we used 10+ OF’s each of the last couple seasons. While Stevenson could play CF, he doesn’t seem ready to AB in the MLB

Offline hotshot

« Reply #37: January 10, 2019, 01:37:32 PM »
Guessing we've seen the last of Howie Kendrick unless they decide to option Difo back to Syracuse Fresno

Yeah, who is this the worst news for -- Kendrick or Difo?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #38: January 10, 2019, 01:49:53 PM »
Danny Kelly of Districtondeck.com tweets that we're at around $200 million right now

He says that actual out of pocket, with deferrals, was around $134 million before the Dozier signing.  With Dozier getting $7 million this upcoming year, that puts us at $141.

https://districtondeck.com/2019/01/02/washington-nationals-much-left-spend-winter/

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #39: January 10, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
As I've mentioned before, I work on the side/intern with a sports agency, and they rep Dozier.  He's a great guy.  Very happy this got done.

« Reply #40: January 10, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »
Howie at 35 coming off the ACL isn't "tradeable."  You keep Difo because he's the only guy who can play SS in place of Turner.  Howie can fill in at 2B, 1B, or LF.  He may not even play much in the field, especially early as he eases back.  But, he's an EXCELLENT vet to bring off the bench as a PH late in games.  He's also a guy you want in the clubhouse.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: January 10, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
Howie at 35 coming off the ACL isn't "tradeable."  You keep Difo because he's the only guy who can play SS in place of Turner.  Howie can fill in at 2B, 1B, or LF.  He may not even play much in the field, especially early as he eases back.  But, he's an EXCELLENT vet to bring off the bench as a PH late in games.  He's also a guy you want in the clubhouse.

This. You aren’t getting value for him because of his injury and if you cut him, you still have to pay for him. Also if he is healthy, his bat is very valuable for depth as well as off the bench. Because otherwise your right handed bench bats are Taylor, Difo and Suzuki (but you won’t want to burn your catcher).
You could argue that Howie’s injury was probably the most significant one in throwing last season off the rails.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #42: January 10, 2019, 02:17:54 PM »
 :lol: I see a few folks have me on ignore.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: January 10, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
This. You aren’t getting value for him because of his injury and if you cut him, you still have to pay for him. Also if he is healthy, his bat is very valuable for depth as well as off the bench. Because otherwise your right handed bench bats are Taylor, Difo and Suzuki (but you won’t want to burn your catcher).
You could argue that Howie’s injury was probably the most significant one in throwing last season off the rails.
Not sure about that. Without his injury we would not have seen Soto. It will be good to have his bat back though.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #44: January 10, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »

I can't agree. Not with half the league with the DH and a career .290 hitter.

I will say however I don't believe the roster for 2019 is better by subtracting Howie, Eaton, and MAT.

But all 3 can be moved before Spring Training and cut 10-12 million from payroll

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #45: January 10, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »

He might be tradeable after the season starts. Right now,  you'd be getting nothing back.

And honestly,  if Howie can still hit, I think you want him on the roster.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #46: January 10, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »
He might be tradeable after the season starts. Right now,  you'd be getting nothing back.

And honestly,  if Howie can still hit, I think you want him on the roster.

They wouldn't be trading him to get anything back, just to subtract from payroll.

I agree, I rather him be on the roster.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #47: January 10, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »
Danny Kelly of Districtondeck.com tweets that we're at around $200 million right now

He says that actual out of pocket, with deferrals, was around $134 million before the Dozier signing.  With Dozier getting $7 million this upcoming year, that puts us at $141.

https://districtondeck.com/2019/01/02/washington-nationals-much-left-spend-winter/

Hard to follow his numbers without a spreadsheet. Talk Nats has the team right at the edge of going over assuming that Rosenthal hits about half of his performance bonuses.

« Reply #48: January 10, 2019, 03:26:36 PM »
Think about it.  We re-signed Howie last year when he was a year younger, coming off an outstanding year, and obviously before a very serious surgery.  Why would a team NOW be willing to take on that same contract unless we kicked in something else to make it worth their while?  We're best off keeping Howie and hoping for him to be healthy and productive.  It's really the only option. 

« Reply #49: January 10, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
As for the luxury tax, I think it's obvious that adding Harper is an exception and they'll go over for him.  If we sign Harper, then Eaton becomes the  odd man out, and that's 8.4 million off the books.  We may just trade him for prospects, so that won't bring back any salary.