Author Topic: What are you about to listen to in 2019  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: What are you about to listen to in 2019
« Reply #50: March 13, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
In the past two weeks we were about to listen to Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets at the Birchmere, then last weekend a Neil Young cover band at the State in Falls Church, both shows very enjoyable.  We're going back for another bite of the Smithereens apple in June, with Crenshaw fronting them at the Ram's Head in Annapolis.

This coming Saturday I'm going to be listening to me - 6 months back or so I started sitting in on an acoustic music drop-in session once a month and I got recruited to gig with a couple of the guys.  We're striving to dominate the homeless shelter market.  I also got recruited to play a 14 song set of Irish songs this Saturday at a nearby church, we've had 6 practice sessions but it's now or never.   

Let that be a lesson to you, if you play guitar, there are tons of guitar players out there better than you.  But if you play harmonica and show up at a jam session, you might be a scarce resource, no matter how mediocre.    :-[
Cool. I started playing about 7 years ago--guitar that is.  Would be nice if I could sing better to drown out the misplayed chords.  Harmonica could be an option. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #51: March 13, 2019, 11:28:53 PM »
In the past two weeks we were about to listen to Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets at the Birchmere, then last weekend a Neil Young cover band at the State in Falls Church, both shows very enjoyable.  We're going back for another bite of the Smithereens apple in June, with Crenshaw fronting them at the Ram's Head in Annapolis.

This coming Saturday I'm going to be listening to me - 6 months back or so I started sitting in on an acoustic music drop-in session once a month and I got recruited to gig with a couple of the guys.  We're striving to dominate the homeless shelter market.  I also got recruited to play a 14 song set of Irish songs this Saturday at a nearby church, we've had 6 practice sessions but it's now or never.   

Let that be a lesson to you, if you play guitar, there are tons of guitar players out there better than you.  But if you play harmonica and show up at a jam session, you might be a scarce resource, no matter how mediocre.    :-[

That’s awesome, good for you Tom :clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #52: March 16, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »
That’s awesome, good for you Tom :clap:

:nervous: :nervous:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #53: March 18, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
:nervous: :nervous:

Chewing your nails and playing the harmonica looks similar, avi-wise.

How'd it go?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #54: March 18, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Chewing your nails and playing the harmonica looks similar, avi-wise.

How'd it go?

That was a sparse crowd for all the practice we put in.  Last year they counted 35, we had under 20, probably due to the fine weather Saturday drawing people outside. 

We kind of f-d up the beginning of the opener, "I'll tell me ma", some thought the intro was two refrain lines, others 4, all out of sync for a while.

But everyone loves Steve Earle's Galway Girl.  We have a guy who plays a nice mandolin and I can wail a bit on this one.  We have a young woman plays a nice fiddle too, which really sounded great.

Glad it's over, fun while it lasted.  Time to move on.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #55: March 21, 2019, 07:48:29 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: April 01, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
A 1989 Connie Chung interview with NRBQ.  I think they are coming to the Birchmere soon.  NRBQ, not Connie Chung.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #57: April 07, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »
A 1989 Connie Chung interview with NRBQ.  I think they are coming to the Birchmere soon.  NRBQ, not Connie Chung.

Oh man, the Birchmere ?  I'm having serious 80's flashbacks here JCA...

Add the Bayou and Hammerjacks to that list.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #58: April 07, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
Oh man, the Birchmere ?  I'm having serious 80's flashbacks here JCA...

Add the Bayou and Hammerjacks to that list.

And Louie's Rock City. 

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #59: April 07, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »
And Louie's Rock City. 

That was apparently before my time, I'm afraid.  :-[

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #60: April 07, 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
That was apparently before my time, I'm afraid.  :-[

I actually never went, but was aware of it.  It was in the strip shopping center where the Cinema 7 movie theater was, and across the street from the Giant at Bailey's Crossroads on Jefferson Street.  Here's an interesting story about how the place was started and its role in helping to inspire the DC punk scene.  http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/2011/11/blitzkrieg-bop-in-baileys-crossroads.html

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #61: April 07, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
I actually never went, but was aware of it.  It was in the strip shopping center where the Cinema 7 movie theater was, and across the street from the Giant at Bailey's Crossroads on Jefferson Street.  Here's an interesting story about how the place was started and its role in helping to inspire the DC punk scene.  http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/2011/11/blitzkrieg-bop-in-baileys-crossroads.html

That sounds so awesome.

I spent my early years within a stone's throw of Bailey's Crossroads.  But I left in 1975 for a bit and didn't come back until my college years.  Which explains why I have no idea of that !

Online NatNasty

« Reply #62: April 07, 2019, 10:53:37 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #63: April 14, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
REM's Reckoning, on vinyl.  35 years (!!) since release.  I hear there's a remastered version out, following on the heals of a remastered Murmur, right in the sweet spot of REM's greatness.  Fables ain't too shabby either.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #64: April 21, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »
fantastic Motown tribute show on CBS right now.

Online imref

« Reply #65: April 29, 2019, 09:33:18 PM »
I'm watching the Queen + Adam Lambert bio on ABC tonight, very well done.  he seems to be the perfect fill-in for Freddy Mercury.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #66: May 02, 2019, 11:33:10 PM »
I normally hate Bruce without the E Street Band but this new song is pure country tinged gorgeousness, love love love ❤️

Online imref

« Reply #67: May 02, 2019, 11:38:19 PM »
I normally hate Bruce without the E Street Band but this new song is pure country tinged gorgeousness, love love love ❤️

wow.  that was really good.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #68: May 02, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
wow.  that was really good.

Right??? Best thing he’s done in ages, just makes me smile listening to it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #69: May 03, 2019, 09:07:20 AM »
the guitar line sounds like a pure train hitchhiking song and the steel guitar is terrific. 

My brother will hate it. He began to turn against Bruce the more Bruce started doing country-tinged songs. Even though you find that on the  River, he always felt that Bruce was a Jersey kid so the country stuff was part of him, in his words, being a phony poser. There's a little bit of politics, too, in my brother's projection about phoniness. He hated the Rising, which has a strong country influence.  I can't even get him to listen to anything like Magic, which had a lot less. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #70: May 03, 2019, 10:56:28 AM »

Some pretty heavy modern psychedelic rock. A rather unique sounding take on the retro psych trend. Maybe my album of the year for 2018.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #71: May 03, 2019, 02:11:23 PM »

I Like it. Reminds me a little of this guy - at the beginning - and a little of Midnight Cowboy:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #72: May 04, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
You people listen to some real white people trash. Kenny Wayne Sheppard?  Joe B?  Woof.  The corpse of Bruce Springsteen?  With all of the great music being put out by new artists and hidden international gems being released by labels like Mr Bongo this is the trash you decide to insult your ear with?  Ban this sick filth.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #73: May 04, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »

I heard it last week when they released and when pleasantly surprised also--haven't liked most of what he has done recently.  Might even buy the album.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: May 04, 2019, 11:17:14 AM »
You people listen to some real white people trash. Kenny Wayne Sheppard?  Joe B?  Woof.  The corpse of Bruce Springsteen?  With all of the great music being put out by new artists and hidden international gems being released by labels like Mr Bongo this is the trash you decide to insult your ear with?  Ban this sick filth.
I take it you don't like Tommy Dorsey either.