Author Topic: What are you about to listen to in 2019  (Read 5472 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: What are you about to listen to in 2019
« Reply #25: February 07, 2019, 08:54:58 PM »
I saw the Nighthawks in 1976 on frat row in College Park.  Going to see them tomorrow night at Jammin' Java.  Been picking up the harp lately and could use some Mark Wenner inspiration.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: February 10, 2019, 10:55:07 PM »
Anyone listen to Greta Van Fleet?  Just won the Grammy for best rock album. Very Led-Zep like.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #27: February 11, 2019, 07:11:03 AM »
Anyone listen to Greta Van Fleet?  Just won the Grammy for best rock album. Very Led-Zep like.

Those guys are some real bums.  Easily one of the worst big time White People bands since Jet or Kings of Leon.  Awful, absolutely awful.

One of the coolest things about the trip to Detroit (other than checking progress on my new house) was picking up Bobby "Blue" Bland records for $2.  Guy was a goddamn talent.  Fook you with a Miata if you disagree:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #28: February 11, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
Came across a program on WHUT last night.    Here's a description from their website:

"WE KNEW WHAT WE HAD: THE GREATEST JAZZ STORY NEVER TOLD chronicles the unrecognized history of jazz in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The hour-long documentary features the talents of international jazz legends George Benson, Ahmad Jamal, Stanley Turrentine, Billy Eckstine, Kenny Clarke, Art Blakey, Billy Strayhorn and Mary Lou Williams-all Pittsburghers. Using archival footage and photos, it also sheds light on the social conditions and historical events that conspired to make Pittsburgh one of the world's leading contributors to the legacy of jazz music."

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #29: February 11, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »
Came across a program on WHUT last night.    Here's a description from their website:

"WE KNEW WHAT WE HAD: THE GREATEST JAZZ STORY NEVER TOLD chronicles the unrecognized history of jazz in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The hour-long documentary features the talents of international jazz legends George Benson, Ahmad Jamal, Stanley Turrentine, Billy Eckstine, Kenny Clarke, Art Blakey, Billy Strayhorn and Mary Lou Williams-all Pittsburghers. Using archival footage and photos, it also sheds light on the social conditions and historical events that conspired to make Pittsburgh one of the world's leading contributors to the legacy of jazz music."

Speaking of Pittsburgh, you familiar with these guys:

I bought the repress of this that just came out but this is some great stuff. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #30: February 11, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »
Speaking of Pittsburgh, you familiar with these guys:

I bought the repress of this that just came out but this is some great stuff. 

Doesn't ring a bell but thanks for the listen.      Sounds like something Porky Chedwick would spin.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #31: February 18, 2019, 06:48:24 AM »

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: February 19, 2019, 05:08:20 PM »
Driving through Kentucky and West Virginia today. This popped up on the playlist.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: February 19, 2019, 05:09:54 PM »
Driving through Kentucky and West Virginia today. This popped up on the playlist.

Emerson Lake and Palmer   :clap:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: February 19, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »
Emerson Lake and Palmer   :clap:
Never saw them in concert. Did see Carl Palmer with Asia.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #35: February 19, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »
Never saw them in concert. Did see Carl Palmer with Asia.

ABC used to have a show called "In Concert" on Saturday nights.    The only time I recall seeing them was on that show in the early '70s.    I never saw 'em live.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #36: February 19, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »
ABC used to have a show called "In Concert" on Saturday nights.    The only time I recall seeing them was on that show in the early '70s.    I never saw 'em live.

Did you ever catch any live Frank Sinatra performances in the 40's or 50's ?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #37: February 23, 2019, 06:07:21 PM »
 This song is dedicated to all the Dave haters here on what is about to be a stellar season. :crackup:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #38: February 23, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »

Wasn't there a guy's name in front of that? Something Someone's In Concert?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: February 23, 2019, 07:13:19 PM »
Wasn't there a guy's name in front of that? Something Someone's In Concert?

Kirshner was Rock Concert  ...    :shrug:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #40: February 23, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
Kirshner was Rock Concert  ...    :shrug:

That's it. Thanks.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: February 23, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »
That's it. Thanks.

I thought Kirshner was in on Midnight Special too but he wasn't.     Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste Kirshner was in on everything back then.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: February 24, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
Incredible performance of Shallow on the Oscars tonight.  That’s all I was watching it to see. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #43: February 24, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
Incredible performance of Shallow on the Oscars tonight.  That’s all I was watching it to see. 

Meh.
Super happy Free Solo and Rami Malek won.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: February 25, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
Bradley Cooper doing real voice work.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #45: March 12, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »

Joe Bonamassa is coming to Richmond, so I watched a number of his clips on YouTube.

He strikes me as a poor man's SRV...and far less talented... 

Pass...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #46: March 12, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
Joe Bonamassa is coming to Richmond, so I watched a number of his clips on YouTube.

He strikes me as a poor man's SRV...and far less talented... 

Pass...

He's not the most charismatic guy, but he did work  during the years when no one was doing the blues. Important for that reason.

Did you catch any of his stuff with Beth Hart? I'd go to that concert.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #47: March 12, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »

She has a good voice, but his songs seem to lack any...I dunno...energy?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #48: March 12, 2019, 08:41:57 PM »
She has a good voice, but his songs seem to lack any...I dunno...energy?

I like blues a little more towards the rock end of the spectrum. A lot of these kids came back around in the early 2000s. I like them.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #49: March 13, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »
In the past two weeks we were about to listen to Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets at the Birchmere, then last weekend a Neil Young cover band at the State in Falls Church, both shows very enjoyable.  We're going back for another bite of the Smithereens apple in June, with Crenshaw fronting them at the Ram's Head in Annapolis.

This coming Saturday I'm going to be listening to me - 6 months back or so I started sitting in on an acoustic music drop-in session once a month and I got recruited to gig with a couple of the guys.  We're striving to dominate the homeless shelter market.  I also got recruited to play a 14 song set of Irish songs this Saturday at a nearby church, we've had 6 practice sessions but it's now or never.   

Let that be a lesson to you, if you play guitar, there are tons of guitar players out there better than you.  But if you play harmonica and show up at a jam session, you might be a scarce resource, no matter how mediocre.    :-[