Author Topic: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home? (YES! Rochester)  (Read 12697 times)

Online NatNasty

Never mind Kodak - Rochester gave us the "garbage plate"

(Image removed from quote.)

The eastern part of Lake Erie is also a great place for lake-effect snow this time of year if you really want to double down on life's better things.

Good God!  My toilet would never speak to me again if I ate that.

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
Never mind Kodak - Rochester gave us the "garbage plate"

The eastern part of Lake Erie is also a great place for lake-effect snow this time of year if you really want to double down on life's better things.

That looks 10 different shades of disgusting and delicious...I'll bet whoever created that monster didn't do it sober.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Hey the "garbage plate" is just an unrefined ruffian juvenile Strasburger:

Offline MonsterUSMC

Hey the "garbage plate" is just an unrefined ruffian juvenile Strasburger:

That looks glorious!!!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Just a thought - I wonder if at some point it would be worth swapping affiliates with the Chi Sox.  Charlotte is a bit closer to us and I think NC is theoretically Nats / Os territory.  As for the Chicago, the distance is probably a little less to Rochester.  I'll guess Charlotte is more of a transportation hub, so it probably is more functional for Chicago.  Better weather, too.

Offline MonsterUSMC

Just a thought - I wonder if at some point it would be worth swapping affiliates with the Chi Sox.  Charlotte is a bit closer to us and I think NC is theoretically Nats / Os territory.  As for the Chicago, the distance is probably a little less to Rochester.  I'll guess Charlotte is more of a transportation hub, so it probably is more functional for Chicago.  Better weather, too.
Being a NC native, I would fully support this move.  When I was growing up, it seemed like everybody was a Braves or Yankees fan.  I rebelled.  I was so glad to see DC get a team in 2005, and I jumped on immediately.  I am glad the Nats have caught on with a lot of North Carolinians.  There is a great Nats presence in eastern NC now.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I doubt the Sox would be interested.  They've deliberately chosen to have their low-A through AAA affiliates in a pretty small area in the southeast:  Kannapolis, Winston-Salem, Birmingham, Charlotte.  They've had those four teams for 20 years now, which is almost unheard-of stability, especially given what just happened with MiLB. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I doubt the Sox would be interested.  They've deliberately chosen to have their low-A through AAA affiliates in a pretty small area in the southeast:  Kannapolis, Winston-Salem, Birmingham, Charlotte.  They've had those four teams for 20 years now, which is almost unheard-of stability, especially given what just happened with MiLB. 
yes, that makes a ton of sense.  I suppose the same thing for the rays and the bulls

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
That ain't gonna happen.

MLB and their teams just completed a massive and at times, contentious reorganization.

If the Nats were going to get Charlotte, it would have happened. Charlotte has nicer weather and a jewel of a stadium. I wouldn't swap out if I were the White Sox.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
That ain't gonna happen.

MLB and their teams just completed a massive and at times, contentious reorganization.

If the Nats were going to get Charlotte, it would have happened. Charlotte has nicer weather and a jewel of a stadium. I wouldn't swap out if I were the White Sox.
probably even less of a chance at Durham.

Offline LincolnDD

Nats to Charlotte, Sox to Indy, Pirates to Rochester would've been the logical move.  But like others have said, Chicago wasn't giving up what they have.  MLB had some say in the realignment, but in most cases deferred to the MLB teams and their preferences, and existing relationships were respected.

I still think AAA Richmond will happen one day.

Offline Five Banners

I still think AAA Richmond will happen one day.

Certainly makes logistical sense

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Certainly makes logistical sense

The best chance they had just passed.  A number of teams switched levels.  I wonder if anyone there was smart enough to offer Lerner 20% of the team for $1.  That probably would have gotten them back to AAA, as the teams with MLB ownership stakes generally got the best deals when viewed with respect to the rest of their situations. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
They aren’t going to richmond until that stadium is replaced

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
They aren’t going to richmond until that stadium is replaced
what sort of facilities do the colleges play at?  I wonder if a split with VCU would make it easier for the state to kick in $$?

Offline Natsinpwc

what sort of facilities do the colleges play at?  I wonder if a split with VCU would make it easier for the state to kick in $$?
I think VCU wanted to do that but not sure the commonwealth would go for it. It would be a good idea to me.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

VCU already shares that stadium.  One issue is that the new MLB-set facility standards for AA are higher than what was required before.  The gap to a AAA level is even bigger.   Nonetheless, it would behoove them to build the new one to that standard.  Several of the most likely expansion cities are current AAA ones, meaning there could be as many as 4 open slots in AAA.  That's probably not until 2030 or so, but it's within the lifespan of the next stadium. 

Offline Natsinpwc

VCU already shares that stadium.  One issue is that the new MLB-set facility standards for AA are higher than what was required before.  The gap to a AAA level is even bigger.   Nonetheless, it would behoove them to build the new one to that standard.  Several of the most likely expansion cities are current AAA ones, meaning there could be as many as 4 open slots in AAA.  That's probably not until 2030 or so, but it's within the lifespan of the next stadium.
Sounds like the will lose even their double A status in the next few years without a new stadium. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Sounds like the will lose even their double A status in the next few years without a new stadium.

That sounds right.  There are enough cities that want in or back in to the pyramid and would accept AA (New Orleans being the most prominent) that it could present issues for them. With MLB in control of the leagues now, league alignment isn't an issue, and many teams that aren't owned by their parent clubs just signed agreements much longer than the two years Richmond got with SF.   For example, if MLB wanted to put a AA team in New Orleans, they could just expand AA South.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
closing this and starting a new thread for the red wings