Author Topic: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home? (YES! Rochester)  (Read 12791 times)

Offline LincolnDD

Re: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home ?
« Reply #175: November 19, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »
Time to update the title!

WHO'S REPLACING HAGERSTOWN?!

Offline Natsinpwc

It's time to give up the ghost on Richmond as a possible AAA locale for the Nats. State budgets are shot because of covid shutdowns so they don't have money to spend on stadiums.  Likewise for team owners but even back in the heyday they have an unwritten rule amongst themselves that they don't pay for stadiums anymore. If one owner did then every city would point to them as an example and they can't have that.  Rochester is a lot closer than Fresno so be happy with that.
A boy can dream. I have no plans to drive to Rochester. Maybe someday.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

I've been there a few times, the city went downhill in a big way when Kodak collapsed, they were the primary economic engine.  They've recovered a bit in the last few years and there are a few very charming, old suburbs.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Make it a trifecta - Citifield, Cooperstown, and Rochester.  Extra credit if you go to Niagara Falls. ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Never mind Kodak - Rochester gave us the "garbage plate"

The eastern part of Lake Erie is also a great place for lake-effect snow this time of year if you really want to double down on life's better things. 

Make it a trifecta - Citifield, Cooperstown, and Rochester.  Extra credit if you go to Niagara Falls. ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

(Image removed from quote.)

The eastern part of Lake Erie is also a great place for lake-effect snow this time of year if you really want to double down on life's better things.
Well that sure is a game changer.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

(Image removed from quote.)

Our son-in-law got his Masters degree from RIT...he loves that garbage plate!

• babble on
That and loco moco are on my bucket list.  The good kind of bucket list  :D

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

I moved south to get away from that crap. ;)

Online imref

Loco moco is heaven (and an angioplasty) on a paper plate.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Sounds like a cold place to play baseball after getting cut after spring training in Florida, savage

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
as in a plate of each and then a stroke?

Online Five Banners

It's time to give up the ghost on Richmond as a possible AAA locale for the Nats. State budgets are shot because of covid shutdowns so they don't have money to spend on stadiums.  Likewise for team owners but even back in the heyday they have an unwritten rule amongst themselves that they don't pay for stadiums anymore. If one owner did then every city would point to them as an example and they can't have that.  Rochester is a lot closer than Fresno so be happy with that.

Still not ideal to have pitching prospects dealing in those temperatures in April. Between the other minor league affiliates in the Florida training, maybe they can stagger some of them before they get to Rochester

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Still not ideal to have pitching prospects dealing in those temperatures in April. Between the other minor league affiliates in the Florida training, maybe they can stagger some of them before they get to Rochester

This isn't our first rodeo in upstate NY.  ;)

Offline Count Walewski

Well there goes the only reason I had to visit Fresno.

• babble on
Cropduster rides 
Well there goes the only reason I had to visit Fresno.

Online imref

Online imref

Byron Kerr says the deal with Rochester is for 10 years.

Offline Natsinpwc

Byron Kerr says the deal with Rochester is for 10 years.
Rochester you say.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I like the AAA affiliate to Rochester.

- Only 5:30 from my apartment. My daughter likes our road-trips to DC and to Harrisburg (a beautiful spot for a ball game).

- Rochester Redwings were the Baltimore affiliate in the classic days. Take that!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
According to Ballpark Digest, the newagreement is a 10 year licensing  agreement and not a 2/3 year affiliation as had previously been customary.

Which is bad news if you are rooting for Richmond.
But good news if you are still scarred by Fresno.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2020/11/19/washington-nationals-aaa-team-new-rochester-red-wing-parent-club/6338567002/

Rochester paper's perspective on becoming a Nats affiliate.  Discusses some of the Nats connections to Rochester, including that Robert Tanenbaum grew up there, and that we've had 2 managers who played or managed there Frank Robinson and Davey Johnson .  that doesn't include Matt LeCroy, who played there after his time with the Nats. 

Someone noted how the contract with the Red Wings runs 10 years.  That's short by Rochester standards.  The were an Orioles affiliate for more than 40 years, then with the Twins for 18. 

Online imref

Maybe we can sell the name to a Detroit affiliate and rename them to the nationals or expos?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Maybe we can sell the name to a Detroit affiliate and rename them to the nationals or expos?
they love the Mud Hens!