Author Topic: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home? (YES! Rochester)  (Read 12687 times)

Offline LincolnDD

Re: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home ?
« Reply #125: September 29, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
This is the most recent article I could find regarding progress on a new stadium:

https://richmond.com/sports/college/vcu/new-ballpark-by-2023-vcu-athletics-village-plan-partly-hinges-on-relocation-of-abc-complex/article_97b4a407-15b5-5da3-b57d-8e436cdef925.html

I guess they'd be willing to put up with the Diamond for a few years if there's confidence in a new park being built.  But it feels like they've been discussing a new park for years now, so I don't know how one could be confident about that.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #126: September 29, 2020, 08:38:51 AM »
This is the most recent article I could find regarding progress on a new stadium:

https://richmond.com/sports/college/vcu/new-ballpark-by-2023-vcu-athletics-village-plan-partly-hinges-on-relocation-of-abc-complex/article_97b4a407-15b5-5da3-b57d-8e436cdef925.html

I guess they'd be willing to put up with the Diamond for a few years if there's confidence in a new park being built.  But it feels like they've been discussing a new park for years now, so I don't know how one could be confident about that.

Thank you. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #127: September 29, 2020, 10:19:03 AM »

does VCU have the funds for an athletic village? Most college are making massive cuts that are hitting academic departments - I can't imagine this still happening

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #128: September 29, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
does VCU have the funds for an athletic village? Most college are making massive cuts that are hitting academic departments - I can't imagine this still happening

I don't see it happening in my lifetime.  They have talked about this for as long as I can remember...it never has gone any further, even during better times.  This is DOA AFAIC...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #129: September 29, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
I don't see it happening in my lifetime.  They have talked about this for as long as I can remember...it never has gone any further, even during better times.  This is DOA AFAIC...
One would think that given current events.  From some reading the VCU athletic departments cannot use general school revenue (which makes lots of sense).  Let MLB put up some money for these minor league stadiums since they benefit the most.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #130: September 29, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »
Let MLB put up some money for these minor league stadiums since they benefit the most.

They don't pay for their MLB stadiums so why should they pay for the minors?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #131: September 29, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
They don't pay for their MLB stadiums so why should they pay for the minors?
That's how they can use the savings!

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #132: November 02, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »
https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/11/02/details-of-mlb-takeover-of-milb-emerge/

Reports Sugar Land (probably the Astros) and St. Paul (Twins) added to AAA from the Independent ranks, and Jacksonville (Marlins) would move up from AA.  Fresno would drop to Low A (to the California League, which would drop from High A to Low A), with San Antonio and Wichita dropping to AA (Texas League).

I'd assume the Rangers would go back to Round Rock, so this basically leaves Nashville and Rochester as the two open AAA spots, with the Nationals and Brewers the two teams needing new homes.  I'm guessing Rochester for the Nationals.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #133: November 02, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »
https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/11/02/details-of-mlb-takeover-of-milb-emerge/

Reports Sugar Land (probably the Astros) and St. Paul (Twins) added to AAA from the Independent ranks, and Jacksonville (Marlins) would move up from AA.  Fresno would drop to Low A (to the California League, which would drop from High A to Low A), with San Antonio and Wichita dropping to AA (Texas League).

I'd assume the Rangers would go back to Round Rock, so this basically leaves Nashville and Rochester as the two open AAA spots, with the Nationals and Brewers the two teams needing new homes.  I'm guessing Rochester for the Nationals.

makes a ton of sense.  Got a friend who's a doctor in Rochester so I may have to say hi.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #134: November 02, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »
Certainly better than Fresno, but not as good as Richmond.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #135: November 02, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
Seems like MLB will expand sometime in the next decade.  Hopefully Richmond gets its stadium situation figured out by then and can eventually make the jump to AAA as a Nats affiliate.

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
« Reply #136: November 04, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
Seems like MLB will expand sometime in the next decade.  Hopefully Richmond gets its stadium situation figured out by then and can eventually make the jump to AAA as a Nats affiliate.
I hope so.  Having a AAA team in Richmond would be great for the city and for the Nats, I think.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #137: November 07, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
News leaked last night that the Yankees are moving their AA affiliation to Somerset, NJ, currently an independent league team.  And they're moving one of their A level affiliations to Hudson Valley, a team that's currently (most recently?) in the NY-Penn League (Auburn's league).  I think we may see Fredericksburg a part of whatever league that Hudson Valley team ends up in (possibly the rumored new High A Mid Atlantic League).  This also probably means we're getting close to a final announcement on what the minors will look like going forward, and where all the affiliations will end up.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #138: November 09, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »
I'm really surprised that theses team assignments are leaking out one at a time and aren't being announced en masse.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #139: November 09, 2020, 10:05:21 PM »
So if the Yankees move out of Scranton that would seem to open up that location for the Nats.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #140: November 09, 2020, 10:14:04 PM »
So if the Yankees move out of Scranton that would seem to open up that location for the Nats.

Nah, Scranton has a taint to it.

Offline imref

« Reply #141: November 09, 2020, 10:24:23 PM »
Nah, Scranton has a taint to it.

They’d have to be called the Scranton Stranglers, right?

Offline imref

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #143: November 10, 2020, 06:49:21 AM »
Not an Office fan I suppose?

I never got into that show for whatever reason. Until you mentioned this I didn't know the connection.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #144: November 10, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »

That's the one that's not going to change for them, it will still be their AAA team.  They own a good chunk of the team and have dumped loads of money into the facilities there.

I still think Rochester is the likely AAA destination, though I wouldn't discount Nashville entirely.  Or I could be completely wrong...

There's still some hope in Richmond that the Nationals will move in:  https://richmond.com/sports/professional/running-through-squirrels-uncertainty-could-be-path-to-partner-with-nationals/article_f166be72-2004-5ef9-bd06-fce01a11c6d7.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

And uncertainty in San Francisco about the future of the Giants/Squirrels relationship:  https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/Giants-could-lose-two-minor-league-affiliates-on-15713939.php

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #145: November 10, 2020, 08:06:49 AM »
They’d have to be called the Scranton Stranglers, right?

A+ joke.  A+ reference.  And the fact that this hasn't happened is near-criminal.  Imagine how much merch they'd sell if they went with this name.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #146: November 10, 2020, 08:15:40 AM »
That's the one that's not going to change for them, it will still be their AAA team.  They own a good chunk of the team and have dumped loads of money into the facilities there.

I still think Rochester is the likely AAA destination, though I wouldn't discount Nashville entirely.  Or I could be completely wrong...

There's still some hope in Richmond that the Nationals will move in:  https://richmond.com/sports/professional/running-through-squirrels-uncertainty-could-be-path-to-partner-with-nationals/article_f166be72-2004-5ef9-bd06-fce01a11c6d7.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

And uncertainty in San Francisco about the future of the Giants/Squirrels relationship:  https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/article/Giants-could-lose-two-minor-league-affiliates-on-15713939.php
Thanks.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #149: November 11, 2020, 04:22:15 PM »
Yep.  Ballpark Digest thinks the same.  Also says Harrisburg probable to stick as the AA affiliate.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/11/10/twins-rochester-red-wings-part-ways/

Harrisburg is a nice park in a nice (but flood sensitive) setting. I'm glad the Nats are hanging on to it.