Author Topic: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home? (YES! Rochester)  (Read 12690 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home ?
« Reply #100: November 06, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »
The Lerners are going to have to buy a team and end this drama every 2 years.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #101: November 06, 2019, 07:55:20 PM »
Team moves to Fresno.  And then the Nats win it all.  Why would anyone want to change that winning formula?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #102: November 06, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »
The answer is still "no."

But they won a WS with a team in Fresno. I guess it's just not the most important aspect of a baseball organization.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #103: November 16, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »
List of the 42 (rumored?) teams on the chopping block:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/16/sports/baseball/mlb-minor-league-proposal.html

Auburn and Hagerstown both get the axe.

One Cal League team on the list (Lancaster).  Just a guess, but I could see Fresno demoted to the Cal to replace Lancaster. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #104: November 18, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
List of the 42 (rumored?) teams on the chopping block:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/16/sports/baseball/mlb-minor-league-proposal.html

One Cal League team on the list (Lancaster).  Just a guess, but I could see Fresno demoted to the Cal to replace Lancaster.

That's an absolute slaughter, and it's pretty much what I had said earlier: it's "build a new stadium, or else."  Even Frederick is on that list, and they've been first or second in the Carolina League in attendance the last 8 years or so despite having basically no players.  But their stadium is 30 years old, so it's time to put a gun to their head.   This is a horrible, cynical ploy by MLB to extract further free money from MiLB owners and place the burdens of player welfare on the minor league teams instead of doing something so heinous as paying minor league players anything near a living wage. 

For anyone who lives near DC and likes MiLB, this is awful.  With the PNats moved south and Frederick and Hagerstown on the chopping block, you're basically going from 4 accessible MiLB teams to 1.

Hell, for anyone who likes baseball and isn't a billionaire, this is awful.     

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #105: November 18, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »
The Lerners are going to have to buy a team and end this drama every 2 years.
Do any other MLB teams outright own a minor league affiliate?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #106: November 18, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »

:roll: Just the owners being freaking greedy

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #107: November 18, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
For anyone who lives near DC and likes MiLB, this is awful.  With the PNats moved south and Frederick and Hagerstown on the chopping block, you're basically going from 4 accessible MiLB teams to 1.

Minor point - Fredericksburg is 55 miles from the middle of DC. Frederick is 50, and Hagerstown is 70. Let me guess, you live in Montgomery County? :)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #108: November 18, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
Minor point - Fredericksburg is 55 miles from the middle of DC. Frederick is 50, and Hagerstown is 70. Let me guess, you live in Montgomery County? :)

No, I actually live in Virginia.  But on weekends - the only realistic time for me to make games - there is no comparison at all between 270/70 and 95. 

Yes, there are a number of MiLB teams owned by their major league parents.  Many are in AAA - Syracuse, Pawtucket, Gwinnett, SWB, OKC are all owned wholly or in substantial part by their parents.  In AA, the Phillies own Reading, the Braves own Mississippi, the Cardinals own Springfield, and the Astros own Corpus.  Most  of the FSL is owned by the MLB parents, which makes sense as they play in what also serve as the Spring Training parks.  I think there are a couple more scattered in A ball (the Braves might own all their teams), but that's most of it. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #109: November 18, 2019, 05:17:17 PM »

I was hoping Fredericksburg would be because freak siebler

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #110: November 18, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »

Yep, which is why the milb lawsuits will be interesting

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #111: November 18, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »

If this plan does go through, is sounds like this is one move that will happen.  Lancaster's out, replaced by Fresno at the High-A level.  St. Paul would be added to AAA from the Indy League to replace Fresno.  So, not only would the Nats no longer have their AAA team in Fresno, but a new AAA would be added right in the Twin's backyard, which would *presumably* lead to Minnesota vacating Rochester. 

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/11/18/more-details-emerge-on-mlbs-assault-on-hometown-baseball/

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #112: November 18, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
If this plan does go through, is sounds like this is one move that will happen.  Lancaster's out, replaced by Fresno at the High-A level.  St. Paul would be added to AAA from the Indy League to replace Fresno.  So, not only would the Nats no longer have their AAA team in Fresno, but a new AAA would be added right in the Twin's backyard, which would *presumably* lead to Minnesota vacating Rochester. 

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/11/18/more-details-emerge-on-mlbs-assault-on-hometown-baseball/

Fresno has a pretty nice park for high A - somehow I don’t see any of this playing out

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #113: November 18, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »
Fresno has a pretty nice park for high A - somehow I don’t see any of this playing out

Nobody wants to be there.  That's a real problem.  It would be a little unusual, but they still wouldn't have the largest park in High-A.  And the Rookie team in Colorado Springs plays in a former AAA ballpark, so it's not unprecedented.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #114: November 18, 2019, 11:09:19 PM »
Nobody wants to be there.  That's a real problem.  It would be a little unusual, but they still wouldn't have the largest park in High-A.  And the Rookie team in Colorado Springs plays in a former AAA ballpark, so it's not unprecedented.

I think people in the DC area don't have a great frame of reference for what the standard of ballparks is around the country.  A lot of money has been dumped into MiLB stadiums in the last two decades.  Until F'burg, not nearby. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #115: November 19, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »
I think I'd rather see AAA in Fresno playing in reasonable weather than in Rochester with stingerss and hammy pulls until June.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #116: November 19, 2019, 01:58:26 PM »

Wasn't Hagerstown talking about needing a new stadium a few years ago?  They were supposed to move to Loudon at one point near the soccer field, or maybe Winchester.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #117: November 19, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
Wasn't Hagerstown talking about needing a new stadium a few years ago?  They were supposed to move to Loudon at one point near the soccer field, or maybe Winchester.

I think it was Winchester.  Loudoun, IIRC, was floated about as a destination for the P-Nats.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #118: November 19, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »
105 congressmen signed off on a letter to mlb about the contraction. It would be hilarious if this cost them their antitrust exemption

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #119: November 20, 2019, 06:18:36 AM »
I think people in the DC area don't have a great frame of reference for what the standard of ballparks is around the country.  A lot of money has been dumped into MiLB stadiums in the last two decades.  Until F'burg, not nearby.

Gotcha.  Never lived in DC myself.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #120: November 20, 2019, 06:32:36 AM »
I think I'd rather see AAA in Fresno playing in reasonable weather than in Rochester with stingerss and hammy pulls until June.

Understood.  It seems almost certain that Fresno will no longer be an option, but Rochester certainly isn't a given, just makes sense in this scenario.  I could see the Marlins as a possibility in Rochester if they want to get out of Wichita (and could see a team like Milwaukee push them out anyway to get into a new stadium after years of substandard AAA stadiums in Nashville, Colorado Springs and now San Antonio).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #121: September 29, 2020, 07:25:52 AM »
There’s a possibility MLB will realign the minors, opening the door to Richmond becoming the Nats’ AAA affiliate:

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/giants-would-like-their-double-a-team-to-remain-in-richmond-but-nothings-set-yet/article_8737669a-d14b-53f3-8c70-f088ce888a38.amp.html

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #122: September 29, 2020, 08:19:01 AM »
There’s a possibility MLB will realign the minors, opening the door to Richmond becoming the Nats’ AAA affiliate:

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/giants-would-like-their-double-a-team-to-remain-in-richmond-but-nothings-set-yet/article_8737669a-d14b-53f3-8c70-f088ce888a38.amp.html

That's a pretty big deal.  I read last week that the Twins are pretty certain they're leaving Rochester, either for St. Paul if they can reach a deal to absorb them into affiliated ball, or Wichita if they can't.  It suggested the Nats would probably end up in Rochester in their place.  Aside from the the facilities, Richmond is the obvious preferred location.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #123: September 29, 2020, 08:21:03 AM »
That's a pretty big deal.  I read last week that the Twins are pretty certain they're leaving Rochester, either for St. Paul if they can reach a deal to absorb them into affiliated ball, or Wichita if they can't.  It suggested the Nats would probably end up in Rochester in their place.  Aside from the the facilities, Richmond is the obvious preferred location.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Doesn’t Richmond need to upgrade its stadium?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #124: September 29, 2020, 08:22:52 AM »
Doesn’t Richmond need to upgrade its stadium?

Big time.