Author Topic: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home ?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline LincolnDD

Re: Can't the Nats get a AAA team closer to home ?
« Reply #125: September 29, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
This is the most recent article I could find regarding progress on a new stadium:

https://richmond.com/sports/college/vcu/new-ballpark-by-2023-vcu-athletics-village-plan-partly-hinges-on-relocation-of-abc-complex/article_97b4a407-15b5-5da3-b57d-8e436cdef925.html

I guess they'd be willing to put up with the Diamond for a few years if there's confidence in a new park being built.  But it feels like they've been discussing a new park for years now, so I don't know how one could be confident about that.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #126: September 29, 2020, 08:38:51 AM »
This is the most recent article I could find regarding progress on a new stadium:

https://richmond.com/sports/college/vcu/new-ballpark-by-2023-vcu-athletics-village-plan-partly-hinges-on-relocation-of-abc-complex/article_97b4a407-15b5-5da3-b57d-8e436cdef925.html

I guess they'd be willing to put up with the Diamond for a few years if there's confidence in a new park being built.  But it feels like they've been discussing a new park for years now, so I don't know how one could be confident about that.

Thank you. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #127: September 29, 2020, 10:19:03 AM »

does VCU have the funds for an athletic village? Most college are making massive cuts that are hitting academic departments - I can't imagine this still happening

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #128: September 29, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
does VCU have the funds for an athletic village? Most college are making massive cuts that are hitting academic departments - I can't imagine this still happening

I don't see it happening in my lifetime.  They have talked about this for as long as I can remember...it never has gone any further, even during better times.  This is DOA AFAIC...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #129: September 29, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
I don't see it happening in my lifetime.  They have talked about this for as long as I can remember...it never has gone any further, even during better times.  This is DOA AFAIC...
One would think that given current events.  From some reading the VCU athletic departments cannot use general school revenue (which makes lots of sense).  Let MLB put up some money for these minor league stadiums since they benefit the most.

Online DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #130: September 29, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »
Let MLB put up some money for these minor league stadiums since they benefit the most.

They don't pay for their MLB stadiums so why should they pay for the minors?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #131: September 29, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
They don't pay for their MLB stadiums so why should they pay for the minors?
That's how they can use the savings!