Would You Support an Expos Night at Nats Parl

Yes
20 (48.8%)
No
16 (39%)
Don’t Care
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Would you support an Expos night at Nats Park?  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Would you support an Expos night at Nats Park?
« Reply #25: December 26, 2018, 05:32:02 AM »
Well, decades of MLB history already existed and then was largely ignored by the league during the multi-generational local baseball drought. There is little patience for the niceties as it were of history that takes the focus off of this market, one which dwarfs in size most of the ones MLB usd to leverage scores of markets into sweetheart stadium deals before Montreal couldn't manage the same despite years of efforts, including lawsuits.

Combine that with the MASN debacle that MLB has foisted on this market, and prentending we're all just fine with tipping the hat to MLB etc. is not high on the hit parade. As with the Browns, leave the records of Montreal in that market, as well as any exercises in nostalgia.

This. I voted no because I'm still bitter that it took Washington so long to get a team and I'm uncomfortable with Expos history being foisted on this city. I don't lose any sleep over it but the whole concept of team histories that travel with franchises vs staying with cities has never seemed logical to me. But, yeah, some of the Expos unis were way cool. I prefer the homes whites and hate the powder blue. The latter remind of the power blue Philthies uniforms.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: December 26, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »
It's definitely the case that it really is only the transplants like me and Bluestreak or folks who follow the Nationals from out of town who have anything positive to say about the connection of the Expos to the Nationals. Among folks who grew up here, especially among those who go back to before the move of the Senators to Texas, at best there's indifference to the Expos and maybe sort of a "it stinks to lose a team" commiseration with Montreal. 

If Jonah Keri is to be believed, even most Montrealers don't give a [crud] about the former Expos anymore.  It just seems strange that Gary Carter and Andre Dawson are on the ring of honor (honour in Canadian?) but that is it for Expos recognition. It's a bit skitso. I suppose an honor for the 1994 team would be good for them, but I would suspect they'd be happier at a Canadiens game than a DC baseball game.  But it is getting to the point, with Raines, Pedro (who spent more time in Montreal than Pudge did in DC, and won a Cy there), and Vladi, that the Nationals can't really play this down the middle anymore.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: December 26, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
It's definitely the case that it really is only the transplants like me and Bluestreak or folks who follow the Nationals from out of town who have anything positive to say about the connection of the Expos to the Nationals. Among folks who grew up here, especially among those who go back to before the move of the Senators to Texas, at best there's indifference to the Expos and maybe sort of a "it stinks to lose a team" commiseration with Montreal. 

If Jonah Keri is to be believed, even most Montrealers don't give a [crud] about the former Expos anymore.  It just seems strange that Gary Carter and Andre Dawson are on the ring of honor (honour in Canadian?) but that is it for Expos recognition. It's a bit skitso. I suppose an honor for the 1994 team would be good for them, but I would suspect they'd be happier at a Canadiens game than a DC baseball game.  But it is getting to the point, with Raines, Pedro (who spent more time in Montreal than Pudge did in DC, and won a Cy there), and Vladi, that the Nationals can't really play this down the middle anymore.

I think you nailed it.

I looked on the Internet when I saw some folks say "no connection" and saw the franchise in fact did move from Montreal!  In other breaking news the Ravens were the Cleveland Browns.  The Sixers were the Syracuse Nats.  The Wizards were the Zephyrs at one time. And the Avalanche were the Quebec Nordiques.

Seems to me all the anger should be directed to Angelos!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #28: December 26, 2018, 12:23:52 PM »
To clarify, I don't wanna connect our history with the Expos.    I don't want 'em in our stadium ring of honor.     I just wanna give 'em a night.     Period.      Don't make wedding plans.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #29: December 26, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »

I looked on the Internet when I saw some folks say "no connection" and saw the franchise in fact did move from Montreal!  In other breaking news the Ravens were the Cleveland Browns.  The Sixers were the Syracuse Nats.  The Wizards were the Zephyrs at one time. And the Avalanche were the Quebec Nordiques.

The Orioles were the Milwaukee Brewers.      :mg:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: December 26, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »
I think you nailed it.

I wasn’t aware that the Ravens had Browns nights

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #31: December 26, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
Sure give them a night. I have nothing against them. We might not still have a team if things hadn't played out like they did in Montreal.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #32: December 26, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »
We may as well have a Texas Rangers day

The only time I went to a rangers game in Texas I walked in the stadium and was surprised and happy to see the rangers players were in Senators uniforms. It was a tribute to the Senators with throw back jersey night.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #33: December 26, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
The only time I went to a rangers game in Texas I walked in the stadium and was surprised and happy to see the rangers players were in Senators uniforms. It was a tribute to the Senators with throw back jersey night.

Makes sense, Texas has had Senators since 1845, DC has been waiting since 1801.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #34: December 26, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »
FWIW, some of our most loved players came here from Montreal: Livo, Vidro, Cordero, Schneider, and even Desmond, so I see no reason to ignore the heritage.  Having an Expos night would be fun, especially if they invited guys like Pedro, Carter, Colon, Vlad, Raines, and Dawson.  Given we already have a few of them in the ring, it makes sense to recognize our lineage rather than ignore it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #35: December 26, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
FWIW, some of our most loved players came here from Montreal: Livo, Vidro, Cordero, Schneider, and even Desmond, so I see no reason to ignore the heritage.  Having an Expos night would be fun, especially if they invited guys like Pedro, Carter, Colon, Vlad, Raines, and Dawson.  Given we already have a few of them in the ring, it makes sense to recognize our lineage rather than ignore it.

Only thing I remember about Vidro was that he got hurt. Desmond played half a season of rookie ball for them. Wilkerson was the big star coming from the Expos, wonder where that shrimp got all his power. Church played a few games in Montreal, what a head case he was.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: December 26, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
Makes sense, Texas has had Senators since 1845, DC has been waiting since 1801.

See what you did there.     :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: December 26, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
I wasn’t aware that the Ravens had Browns nights
actually, a condition for the move to Baltimore was that the Browns franchise records would remain in Cleveland.  I think technically the Ravens are the expansion franchise and Cleveland is the originals. The Ravens don't have Browns throwback games because officially they aren't the Browns.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: December 26, 2018, 01:36:17 PM »

I would hope Carter would not show, but just in case, don't schedule it for a full moon.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39: December 26, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
Other than the name change, I don’t see how this is different than the Dodgers or the Giants. And if you look at it objectively it really isn’t. I understand that some DC Fans are mad at MLB, but it seems they should be mad at Angelos and whatever owners moved to Minnesota and Texas.

I haven’t met a Giants fan yet, that disavows the Bobby Thompson Home Run.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: December 26, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »
Other than the name change, I don’t see how this is different than the Dodgers or the Giants. And if you look at it objectively it really isn’t. I understand that some DC Fans are mad at MLB, but it seems they should be mad at Angelos and whatever owners moved to Minnesota and Texas.

I haven’t met a Giants fan yet, that disavows the Bobby Thompson Home Run.

My uncle grew up a giants fan- he despises them and roots for the Yankees now. If you follow a team based on geography, following them to a new city or caring about what they did in another city doesn’t really make much sense

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #41: December 26, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
I would hope Carter would not show, but just in case, don't schedule it for a full moon.

:crackup:  He's only been dead 6 years...we could have a weekend at Gary's...   :hysterical:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: December 26, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
My uncle grew up a giants fan- he despises them and roots for the Yankees now. If you follow a team based on geography, following them to a new city or caring about what they did in another city doesn’t really make much sense

That totally makes sense. But we are San Francisco and Los Angeles in this analogy. It would literally be like the Dodgers not acknowledging that Jackie Robinson had some connection to the franchise.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: December 26, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
That totally makes sense. But we are San Francisco and Los Angeles in this analogy. It would literally be like the Dodgers not acknowledging that Jackie Robinson had some connection to the franchise.

No expo rises to that level- maybe like LA not embracing Zach Wheel (seems to be the next highest by war who didn’t play in LA)? I don’t think most LA fans embrace him :shrug:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #44: December 26, 2018, 02:53:36 PM »
Well, I'm an Expos fan because they were my first tee ball team when I was 5 and I'm loyal and decided I should make them my team.  I've followed them ever since (that was 1989).  I used to live for them playing the Braves (games aired on TBS), the Cubs (games aired on WGN), and the Reds (I could drive to Cincy from Louisville or wath those games on local TV).  I would love to see it.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #45: December 26, 2018, 03:09:33 PM »
:crackup:  He's only been dead 6 years...we could have a weekend at Gary's...   :hysterical:

Jeez. Completely forgot Gary Carter died. Sad.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #46: December 26, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »
Jeez. Completely forgot Gary Carter died. Sad.

Offline mitlen

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: December 26, 2018, 04:07:46 PM »
actually, a condition for the move to Baltimore was that the Browns franchise records would remain in Cleveland.  I think technically the Ravens are the expansion franchise and Cleveland is the originals. The Ravens don't have Browns throwback games because officially they aren't the Browns.
I know that was a legal deal.  But we in fact know Modell moved the whole organization to Baltimore so they were nothing like an expansion franchise.  The Ravens are the Browns!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #49: December 26, 2018, 04:40:22 PM »
I know that was a legal deal.  But we in fact know Modell moved the whole organization to Baltimore so they were nothing like an expansion franchise.  The Ravens are the Browns!

Does Balmer have a Colts night?   :shrug:

Maybe park a bunch of Mayflower vans in the parking lot?