Author Topic: Top Prospect Lists: 2019  (Read 3413 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Top Prospect Lists: 2019
« Reply #25: February 15, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
People underrate his time here. He had a 2.91 ERA over 185 IP in his first three years, before falling apart that last year. He was a good RP for us for the most part, just nothing like he was in Oakland.
So basically, he was good when there was no pressure on him. So like I said, he was middle relief.

If Treinen repeats last year, we can talk about being a diamond. But he was basically Craig Stammen when he was here.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #26: February 15, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
So basically, he was good when there was no pressure on him. So like I said, he was middle relief.

If Treinen repeats last year, we can talk about being a diamond. But he was basically Craig Stammen when he was here.

Y'all are being a little too literal. He was a good player here, who turned into an outstanding player there. I don't think we need to turn up our noses at good middle relievers - we could have used more of them last year.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: February 15, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
Y'all are being a little too literal. He was a good player here, who turned into an outstanding player there. I don't think we need to turn up our noses at good middle relievers - we could have used more of them last year.
he was decent middle relief. Claiming that decent middle relief is a "diamond" is a stretch. Its more like a nice piece of copper.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #28: March 01, 2019, 02:07:01 PM »
Using ERA to rate a relief pitcher? 

All I needed to evaluate him was one look at the movement and speed combo on his nasty sinker

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #29: March 01, 2019, 02:22:07 PM »
All I needed to evaluate him was one look at the movement and speed combo on his nasty sinker

The difference between him in Washington and in Oakland is that he now has another pitch.  He's got 3 fastballs with three different movement patterns now and 2-3 mph between each of them.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #31: May 30, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
So the kid(KJ Harrison)we got for Gio last trade deadline is no longer a catcher and is playing first base and is raking. I saw a small blurb of his hit chart and he hits the ball line to line. Not much power with us but showed some with Milwaukee minors. Interesting he still 31 in prospects being he was a 3rd round pick

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #32: May 31, 2019, 09:13:42 AM »
So the kid(KJ Harrison)we got for Gio last trade deadline is no longer a catcher and is playing first base and is raking. I saw a small blurb of his hit chart and he hits the ball line to line. Not much power with us but showed some with Milwaukee minors. Interesting he still 31 in prospects being he was a 3rd round pick

I bolded two bits that matter, plus the fact that he's almost 23.  If you're a 1B in the Carolina League at 23, you better be raking with power to be a real prospect.   That age with middling power at that position puts you on the Jose Marmolejos track, to pick one recent Nats example. 

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #33: May 31, 2019, 11:08:14 AM »
What on earth is going on with Mason Denaburg? Is he ever actually going to *play* baseball?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #34: May 31, 2019, 11:26:31 AM »
What on earth is going on with Mason Denaburg? Is he ever actually going to *play* baseball?

still at extended spring training.  Per the below he'll either be at GCL or short-season A Auburn, neither of which start for a few more weeks.

https://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2019/05/denaburg-doing-well-but-starting-point-for-summer-season-yet-to-be-announced.html

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #35: May 31, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
still at extended spring training.  Per the below he'll either be at GCL or short-season A Auburn, neither of which start for a few more weeks.

https://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2019/05/denaburg-doing-well-but-starting-point-for-summer-season-yet-to-be-announced.html

I guess they are timing his development so he enters the majors at the same time we stop paying Max, in 2042.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #36: May 31, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »
I bolded two bits that matter, plus the fact that he's almost 23.  If you're a 1B in the Carolina League at 23, you better be raking with power to be a real prospect.   That age with middling power at that position puts you on the Jose Marmolejos track, to pick one recent Nats example.
oh I know that's the reason but he has flashed some in rookie ball. Drew Ward didnt flash any power till last year at 23 and now at 24 was raking before he got hurt. So who knows?? KJ was drafted in 2017.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #37: June 20, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »
Mason Denaburg still MIA and Auburn is playing. The kid turns 20(!!!) in August. A lot of the other HS pitchers drafted in the first round are in full-season A ball.

I don't understand how "what's going on with this kid?" isn't a bigger question being asked.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #38: June 20, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
Mason Denaburg still MIA and Auburn is playing. The kid turns 20(!!!) in August. A lot of the other HS pitchers drafted in the first round are in full-season A ball.

I don't understand how "what's going on with this kid?" isn't a bigger question being asked.

I'm presently working on the theory that he doesn't actually exist.   (Seriously, though, it's very weird.)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: June 20, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »

MASN says he’s on the GCL roster this year

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #40: June 20, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
MASN says he’s on the GCL roster this year

That article was posted earlier and speculative. It posits the most likely destinations. Look, he’s a first round draft pick and they’re keeping him in a black box. We had more information about an injured Lucas Giolito.

Online RD

« Reply #41: June 20, 2019, 09:47:10 PM »
I don’t think it’s a big deal, because it was pretty much expected. He didn’t pitch a lot as a senior because of an injury. He came back fine for a couple starts but then shut it down. They said they started him on a throwing program last year just to build up his arm strength.

So being limited on amateur innings, being a bit behind the curve as a multi sport athlete, and no pro experience, I think the GCL was where he was expected to started. The developing him in a controlled setting. If he does well in the GCL, you’ll probably see him finish at Auburn.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #42: June 21, 2019, 02:54:27 AM »
What has Kieboom done since he was demoted? 

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #43: June 21, 2019, 05:52:13 AM »
What has Kieboom done since he was demoted?

Still hitting well. OPS is .970 for the season.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?