Author Topic: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat  (Read 6233 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat
« Reply #100: February 01, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »
Chelsea Janes is leaving politics and will now the the national baseball writer for the Post.

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1356245885294882818?s=21
Janes says!!!  Her political writing was good to catch and well done.  It's great to have her back doing baseball. I assume that as "national writer," she'll be less concentrated on the Nats like Dougherty and maybe somewhere between Sheinin and Svrluga / Boz.  Great that the Post can add sports staff on baseball.  Hoping this doesn't spell a retirement for Sheinin.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #101: February 01, 2021, 03:53:54 PM »
Jesse D kinda stinks and is annoying on twitter, wish Chelsea was coming back to the beat.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #102: February 01, 2021, 06:12:37 PM »
When Boswell was the start baseball writer, wasn't there always another writer for the Nats as well ?

Janes says!!!  Her political writing was good to catch and well done.  It's great to have her back doing baseball. I assume that as "national writer," she'll be less concentrated on the Nats like Dougherty and maybe somewhere between Sheinin and Svrluga / Boz.  Great that the Post can add sports staff on baseball.  Hoping this doesn't spell a retirement for Sheinin.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103: February 01, 2021, 07:10:22 PM »
When Boswell was the start baseball writer, wasn't there always another writer for the Nats as well ?

Svrluga was the first beat writer, then Chico Harlan, then I think Adam Kilgore then Janes. Sheinen has been the national baseball writer, and Boz is more a general dc sports columnist.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #104: February 01, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »
Svrluga was the first beat writer, then Chico Harlan, then I think Adam Kilgore then Janes. Sheinen has been the national baseball writer, and Boz is more a general dc sports columnist blowhard.

FIFY

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #105: February 01, 2021, 07:26:01 PM »
Jesse D kinda stinks and is annoying on twitter, wish Chelsea was coming back to the beat.

I enjoyed his book, it was basically cliff-notes for the 2019 season but it had some good behind-the-scenes stories.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106: February 01, 2021, 08:53:59 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #107: February 01, 2021, 09:17:06 PM »
VARK - you are the only blowhard on this - Boswell was a wonderful writer, as other writers like 2IPAs commented

FIFY

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #108: February 01, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »
I see you've moved on from 2020

Big Z's second goal of the season pushed me over the edge...  ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #109: February 02, 2021, 03:57:26 PM »

Or they're cutting back baseball reporting, and she'll be the only one, hence the "national" title.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110: March 20, 2021, 03:59:53 PM »
https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2021/3/15/softball-from-baseball-to-politics-janes-12-has-had-it-covered.aspx

Profile on Chelsea Janes.

She began on the Nationals' beat in 2014 and journeyed across the country chronicling the team for four seasons. It was a memorable experience for Janes, an avid baseball fan as a child in Western Massachusetts.

"The travel is grueling, but it's nice because it's big cities, and I grew up just loving baseball so checking off stadiums was definitely not a chore in any way," she said.

It was an exciting time to follow the Nationals, who were consistent contenders and made two playoff appearances.
It helped that a number of the political reporters were also big baseball fans.

"Early on I had a lot of people who wanted to talk to me about baseball because they knew me from covering the Nationals, so I could talk about something that they were comfortable with," she said. "But there was a lot to prove in terms of am I serious about what I'm doing, do I know what I'm talking about. I had to overcome that a little bit."

There are similarities to the baseball and campaign beats, which helped in the transition as well.

"You really have to build relationships to get to the heart of what is happening," Janes said. "In baseball you get to know the players but most of the information you are going to get comes from people around them, and that is true of the candidate too. I didn't really talk to Kamala Harris or Pete Buttigieg very often, but I got a sense of what is really happening and what their motivations were by talking to people around them.
when Harris was selected as Joe Biden's running mate, Janes was back to the political beat, covering Harris again, albeit remotely.

Janes was still on her couch on election night, following the results on television like millions of other Americans.

"I had three stories ready," she said. "Kamala Harris is the Vice President, Kamala Harris is not the Vice President and the we don't know yet story."

Soon after the election results finally became official, Janes was named the Post's national baseball writer.

"I realized I missed baseball a lot," she said. "The campaign was an incredible experience, but I grew up watching baseball, and it's a world that means a lot to me. If there was an opportunity to be immersed in it again, I was going to do it."

Now, instead of just covering the Nationals, she will be focused on telling interesting stories from all across Major League Baseball.