Author Topic: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Nick the Pig

Re: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat
« Reply #75: December 13, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
Good riddance !

The WNBA needs a new sideline reporter...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #76: December 13, 2018, 08:56:28 PM »
You keep saying this, but Harper started the year taking a bunch of walks, and then his own coaching and management was trying to get him to change his approach and take less walks, and he was messed up until he went back to his patient ways.  I don't get where there is evidence that he decided to only swing for the fences coming into the season?
The coaches are the ones who said it. And it's obvious that Harper was simply trying to go yard every time.

I wonder what was up with the bizarre facial grooming in the middle of the Nats falling out of the division race. Roark and the Nats were playing terrible baseball in June and he took the mound looking like a goof. Have some fun when the team is winning but maybe just show up and pitch when you've lost your last three starts.

(Image removed from quote.)

He was trying to get out a slump.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: December 20, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
During today's chat, Mark Zuckerman was asked about what he likes most and least, and what he's learned along the way. Here's his response:

What I enjoy most about the job: The games. I love covering ballgames. I spent two years on the Skins beat before the Nats came to town, and what I quickly realized was why I liked covering baseball so much more than football: More games. I liked Sundays on the NFL beat, but I didn't like Monday-Saturday. Or the offseason. The NFL is all hype. It's 349 days a year of hype for 16 days that actually matter. I didn't like that ratio at all. Gimme an actual, live sporting event to cover, 162 of them preferably.

What I've learned along the way: You take this job and you think you know baseball. Because you've spent your whole life up to that point watching it and reading about it and even playing it growing up. And then you start covering it and you realize there's so much more to baseball at this highest level than you ever realized. The preparation that goes into every game, both physical and mental. The recovery that is necessary after every game. As much as we want to believe this is the same game we played growing up, it's really not. These guys operate on such a higher level than we could ever imagine.

What I enjoy the least about the job: The offseason. I know some reporters who love covering the Hot Stove League. They get a rush from immersing themselves into the rumor mill. It's always a struggle for me. Unfortunately it's a big part of the job, and I do the best I can to keep up, but it's just not my forte. I'd much rather be covering/writing about something taking place in front of my own eyes on a field than trying to decipher what's happening behind the scenes in front offices and agencies from a distance.

« Reply #78: December 20, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »
I'l miss Chelsea coverage, she was great and very detail oriented with what was going on with the team which others who currently cover the team or have in the past weren't as much. Also hilarious on Twitter at times especially during a rain delay. Seemed like she really enjoyed covering the team and hopefully she enjoys covering the 2020 Presidential campaigns just as much. 

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #79: December 20, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing imref. Good quick read.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #80: December 20, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »
During today's chat, Mark Zuckerman was asked about what he likes most and least, and what he's learned along the way. Here's his response:

That was a good answer, and he's right about baseball vs. football. Guy is one of the few IMO who loves the grind of baseball because it offers a new possibility every day. Thanks for posting.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #81: December 20, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
I always thought Chelsea did her best when breaking news about the team or adding her own introspective when it came to the inner workings and moves. Zuckerman is definitely all about the play on the field, and following him during the games and his write ups post game are golden. It's like listening to Charlie and Dave to me when reading Zuck's work. Chelsea did set the bar pretty dang high though for breaking stories about signings and how the team works. Whoever was her "insider" at the team was really good.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #83: January 04, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »
Rarely, if ever, do I dare post an entire article due to copyright laws, but in this case, it is awesome and just a one time use:

Major League Baseball
After four years covering the Nats, goodbye for now

By Chelsea Janes
January 4 at 10:32 AM

(This goodbye post was interrupted by emerging Bryce Harper news, as so many important moments of my life — including attending a friend’s in-progress wedding — have been over the past four years. I hope it is worth your wait, and that of my editors, who were gracious enough to let me write it in the first place)

In my first year on the Nationals beat, during the terrifying unknown that was spring training 2015, I would head out to the home dugout at Space Coast Stadium around 7:58 a.m. Usually, one of the grounds crew members was working on the field then. If he was too close, I would move down the dugout away from him. If not, I could stand there on the stairs, staring out at the Viera sunrise, and hum “The Star-Spangled Banner” without anyone overhearing. The clock would turn to 8 by the time I finished, signaling the opening of the clubhouse to the media and the start of another baseball day. I would take a deep breath, turn away from the field, and head down the stairs toward the entrance. Play ball.

Not long after I began that ritual, we heard brand-new National Max Scherzer hummed the anthem in the bullpen before his first live batting practice session of spring training. For him, the exercise was yet another representation of his dedication to detail. For me, it probably should have been the moment I made an intake appointment with a therapist — or at least, another such moment. But it gave me time to set a mental agenda, ready myself for the strange, mysterious world of the baseball clubhouse, and remember how cool the whole thing was.

Baseball has been a part of my life since tee-ball, a daily ritual through middle school, high school, and four years of college softball. I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up, but I knew I wanted baseball. When sports editor Matt Vita took me to a coffee shop and asked if I would be interested in covering the Nationals, I tried so hard to act like I’d been there before and stay cool, but I’m sure my face betrayed me. At least once a day for four years, sometimes during my renditions of the anthem or those of others, sometimes between innings, sometimes on the walk home, it would all hit me again. I was so lucky to find my way back to baseball.

At first, I was nervous. Adam Kilgore’s were massive shoes to fill. But I learned from my colleague, James Wagner, that the best way around the awkwardness of beat life was through it, to simply never quit. From the patient guidance of my colleague Barry Svrluga, I learned an incalculable amount about handling the ebb and flow of the baseball beat. And from Tom Boswell, I learned to listen to joy when it strikes and my gut when it rumbled. They all made dozens of introductions on my behalf. Their reputations all preceded me, and expanded my credibility by association.

[Nationals’ ‘impatient’ offseason approach has had a positive snowball effect]

With their help, the beat grew less overwhelming. It gave me indigestion. But it also gave me life lessons, and it gave me friends. Dan Kolko became one of those treasured friends, keeping things light while maintaining a knack for letting me know when I was out of line. Mark Zuckerman saved me from locking myself in numerous National League stadiums and press boxes, literally and figuratively. Jamal Collier provided endless Harry Potter commentary to get me through the rain delays, and was always willing to hear one of my silly theories — and to debunk it. Todd Dybas always tolerated my puns a little more than I expected. Jorge Castillo, who put up with me longer than anyone else on the beat, was an incredible teammate and friend, for which I’ll probably never be able to thank him enough.

As for Nationals personnel, I wish I could tell you all my stories about them here. I would need a book for that, and after fighting through this work of self-indulgence, I’m not sure who would read it.

But the stories are mostly positive, like this one: The team was gracious enough to host a going away happy hour for me at the Winter Meetings, one at which one member of the organization asked “so what’s your favorite Nationals crisis of the last four years?” The question sparked spirited debate and a half-hour of laughter among not only those who reported on the crises, but those who oversaw them. Nationals personnel can laugh at themselves now because everyone in that organization still thinks the best is yet to come. Not all organizations feel that way these days. I know not many people do, either.

But for six months a year, almost every single night, the game gives fans and players and executives — and even writers seeking the perfect story — a reason for hope. And every night, without fail, even in seasons where they say they’ve sworn off the baseball habit, the same fans peek back at the game, just in case. Sometimes, the game winks back.

When rain delays tested my sanity, early flights tested my physical well-being, and lizards in my hotel room tested the upper octave of my vocal range, I remembered what it was like to be a little kid, obsessed with baseball, hoping so hard it hurt. I hope that little kid would have liked my Nationals coverage. I so enjoyed getting to provide it.

In a few hours, when I board a flight to Iowa that signals the official end of my time on the Nationals beat and the start of my coverage of the 2020 presidential campaign, I’ll probably hum the anthem to myself again. I will do this largely to deter strangers from starting casual conversation, but also to remind myself of the main lesson I learned from covering the Nationals for four sometimes-grueling years:

I will never remember all the times I held back. I’ll remember the ones, like after Bryce Harper won the Home Run Derby, when I became so immersed in that world that Kilgore told me to stop spewing spirited thoughts into the press box ether and write them down instead. I won’t remember the times a player dropped his bat and acted like he’d been there before. I’ll remember Scherzer, drenched in beer, so determined to enjoy his no-hitter before taking questions that he nearly made me miss deadline. I’ll remember David Vincent, the late, great official scorer who wore funny hats to the stadium some days just to have some fun. I’ll remember how fan after fan told me where they were sitting the night Jayson Werth hit that homer in 2012. I could go on and on.

It’s just a game — a heartbreaking, heartwarming, life-changing game that can mean as much to you as you let it. And please, never be shy to let it mean something to you. It can give you so much. It’s given me so much already. Thank you for reading our coverage for the past few years. It was an honor to share them with you.

If Chelsea stumbles across this, then two things:  first, good luck in Iowa.  Second, :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #84: January 04, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »
It’s just a game — a heartbreaking, heartwarming, life-changing game that can mean as much to you as you let it. And please, never be shy to let it mean something to you. It can give you so much

gotta admit that made me tear up, well done Chelsea :clap:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #85: January 04, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »
gotta admit that made me tear up, well done Chelsea :clap:

I've always said that baseball is a game that can break your heart. I know I specifically said it after the three Game 5 home playoff losses. :(

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #86: January 04, 2019, 05:17:39 PM »
She's great. Really enjoyed having her on the beat.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #87: January 04, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
Deleted some posts here. Keep it on topic and non toxic. Thanks.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #88: January 04, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »
Chelsea Janes is an intelligent, articulate strong woman, breaking the barriers of a male dominated sport...  :?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #89: January 04, 2019, 09:57:44 PM »
Chelsea Janes is an intelligent, articulate strong woman, breaking the barriers of a male dominated sport...  :?

You're a piece of work, dood...

Online Slateman

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #92: October 21, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
Good addition. I wonder how hard she had to lobby to get this assignment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1186091017096826881

Look who came back

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #93: October 21, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
Great to have her back.  Somehow I missed her farewell article. 

Baseball is just a game, but somehow it means so much more to me than any other game ever could.  It's special.  (It always has been, but now more than ever!)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #94: October 21, 2019, 02:06:38 PM »
Cant imagine giving up the baseball beat to follow Kamala Harris around Tweeting about her speeches.

Online Slateman

« Reply #95: October 21, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
Cant imagine giving up the baseball beat to follow Kamala Harris around Tweeting about her speeches.
There was probably a significant pay increase. Especially since The Athletic was trying to pull her away from The Post.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96: October 21, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »

A baseball beat is a slog. If she wants to be more than a sports writer then this was the way to go. She makes connections and the travel and schedule get much easier after the election.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #97: October 21, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
A baseball beat is a slog. If she wants to be more than a sports writer then this was the way to go. She makes connections and the travel and schedule get much easier after the election.

I imagine sitting in on town halls would be pretty interesting.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: February 01, 2021, 02:50:44 PM »
Chelsea Janes is leaving politics and will now the the national baseball writer for the Post.

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1356245885294882818?s=21

Online Slateman

« Reply #99: February 01, 2021, 02:51:27 PM »
Ok