Author Topic: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat  (Read 6217 times)

Offline mach1ne

Re: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat
« Reply #50: December 13, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »
I think you are right. Unless Anthony or Ryan are closet DBags, I don't see anyone else being a "Non-Davey" guy. I'm really interested in bringing back Murphy as 2B and left handed 1B. He also was a big Davey supporter. Eaton is a Davey guy, and having Eaton being the dude that grooms the clubhousence for the OF with Soto and Robles, this can mean great things. Same goes for Doolittle in the bullpen.

I get the ownership angle, but only from the FO saying that Roark's salary was justified for his performance. I feel that ownership asked Rizzo if Roark was worth the money, and he probably said something along the lines of "production wise, sure, but attitude wise, nope nope nope". I think Rizzo basically came back to ownership and told them that they could get equal production for a bit less money from 2 or 3 guys. Or he is planning on trading for a starter who can fit in and give 180+ innings.

This seems much more logical than Ken Rosenthal's tweet that doesn't give any context. Especially when they were looking to pay Lynn the same amount as what Roark would cost. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #51: December 13, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
Tanner a huge malcontent? I don't know, seems kind of lame. I mean I'm not lamenting that he's gone because he kind of sucked the whole year but I sure hope Rizzo is jettisoning the right guys. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #52: December 13, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »
I put this in the same category as Harper showing up and trying to hit 60 homers. They prepared in the offseason in a manner detrimental to the good of the ball club. In Harper's case, he refused to change anything until after the Home Run Derby.

Roark just didn't want put in the work in the offseason. Change in the clubhouse is needed. Harper and Roark were the last holdouts.

You keep saying this, but Harper started the year taking a bunch of walks, and then his own coaching and management was trying to get him to change his approach and take less walks, and he was messed up until he went back to his patient ways.  I don't get where there is evidence that he decided to only swing for the fences coming into the season?

Offline hotshot

« Reply #53: December 13, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
Columnist seems like the end goal for a lot of journalists

Sure, and why not? That's where you can get syndicated around the country.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54: December 13, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »
Tanner a huge malcontent? I don't know, seems kind of lame. I mean I'm not lamenting that he's gone because he kind of sucked the whole year but I sure hope Rizzo is jettisoning the right guys.

If you look at quotes he’s given and reports of his relationship with the front office, then it seems like maybe he had become somewhat of a malcontent.

I think it stemmed from the 2017 playoffs. The whole unsaid thing of the Strasburg illness debacle was that somehow Tanner was chopped liver. And he was clearly unhappy that they let Gio start game 5 vs. the Cubs. If that’s the case it ended up being a really bad decision to start Gio. if they don’t, maybe they win a playoff series and if Tanner is even halfway decent all of last season, the Nats likely make the playoffs.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #55: December 13, 2018, 01:26:56 PM »

He wasn't malcontent, I think he just showed his colors by coming in to ST out of shape and overweight. He isn't quite a "Davey" guy, and I think he just needed a change of scenery anyway. Sure, he was pushed and pulled all over the place, but he started to seem like he just outrightly deserved his rotation spot. In order to keep those spots, you have to produce.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #56: December 13, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »

He wasn't malcontent, I think he just showed his colors by coming in to ST out of shape and overweight. He isn't quite a "Davey" guy, and I think he just needed a change of scenery anyway. Sure, he was pushed and pulled all over the place, but he started to seem like he just outrightly deserved his rotation spot. In order to keep those spots, you have to produce.

This lets him play in Chicago 9 or 10 times per year instead of 3 or 4.  That should make him happy...along with his $10MM...in a contract year...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #57: December 13, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
This lets him play in Chicago 9 or 10 times per year instead of 3 or 4.  That should make him happy...along with his $10MM...in a contract year...

Plus, his folks could drive to Cincinnati and sit behind home with the other old farts who show up.     ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: December 13, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »
Plus, his folks could drive to Cincinnati and sit behind home with the other old farts who show up.     ;)
:crackup:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #59: December 13, 2018, 02:25:02 PM »

We'll be there for a pair of games in June...I'd laugh if he started one of those...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #60: December 13, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
We'll be there for a pair of games in June...I'd laugh if he started one of those...

Yunz need to get Natsinpwc into the park that weekend.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: December 13, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
My picture is posted near the entrance.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #62: December 13, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »

Next to the buffet?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #63: December 13, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »

Already coordinatin'...  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: December 13, 2018, 02:33:48 PM »
Next to the buffet?
No. That’s Tanner.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #65: December 13, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »

Great American Ballpark not the Post Office.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: December 13, 2018, 02:37:31 PM »
Great American Ballpark not the Post Office.
Both. Phillies cap and Nats T-shirt.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: December 13, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
:lmao:
I’m going at attend every game he pitches. To make me feel thin.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #69: December 13, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »

I wonder what was up with the bizarre facial grooming in the middle of the Nats falling out of the division race. Roark and the Nats were playing terrible baseball in June and he took the mound looking like a goof. Have some fun when the team is winning but maybe just show up and pitch when you've lost your last three starts.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #70: December 13, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
Jeez. Didn't realize there was this much Roark hate out there.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #71: December 13, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
So, when do we draw names for the holiday gift swap?   

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #72: December 13, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »

Nah I don't hate Roark, but he really was quite bad last year and seeing him so out of shape made it seem he didn't care. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #73: December 13, 2018, 04:55:44 PM »

I like Roark, I didn't like his timing with the look, maybe I'm not the only one.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: December 13, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
Nah I don't hate Roark, but he really was quite bad last year and seeing him so out of shape made it seem he didn't care.
Almost as bad as that darn Rendon smile.  :mg: