Author Topic: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat  (Read 6186 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat
« Topic Start: December 06, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »
This makes me incredibly sad.

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1070708713223159808?s=21

Some news: The Winter Meetings will be my last days on the Nationals beat. Starting soon, I’ll be joining the Post’s coverage of the 2020 presidential campaign, and I’m so honored to have that opportunity.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Chelsea Janes Leaving Nationals Beat
« Reply #2: December 06, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
Yeah...totally sux...I liked her...
Maybe they can pick someone up from the St Louis beat.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: December 06, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
Damn.  On a side note, "food critic" has become one the Post's best roving news writers since he left the Nats beat. 

Maybe Steinberg will take over the politics desk..."bog" and all. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: December 06, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
I'll miss her reporting on the Nats' beat but wish her luck coverin' the election.    In some ways, it's probably a promotion.    In other ways, not so much.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #5: December 06, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
Damn.  On a side note, "food critic" has become one the Post's best roving news writers since he left the Nats beat. 

Maybe Steinberg will take over the politics desk..."bog" and all. 

Who was the guy they sent to Japan from the Nats' beat?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: December 06, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
goddamnit

• babble on
« Reply #7: December 06, 2018, 12:19:47 PM »
That's him - Chico Harlan.
Who was the guy they sent to Japan from the Nats' beat?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: December 06, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »
Bummer.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #9: December 06, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
Too bad for us, good for her. I'll follow her on Twitter forever.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #10: December 06, 2018, 03:41:24 PM »
Damned shame....she is an excellent sportswriter.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #11: December 06, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
nats beat writers

1. chico harlan
2. adam kilgore
3. chelsea
4. don't even remember who else we've had

chelsea is great but adam had to cover crappy teams and make the best of it. chico's complete disdain for his job was amazing.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #12: December 06, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
nats beat writers

1. chico harlan
2. adam kilgore
3. chelsea

chelsea is great but adam had to cover crappy teams and make the best of it. chico's complete disdain for his job was amazing.
Svrluga.  It is a right of passage for some excellent writers.  I would have liked to have seen a book from her.

• babble on
« Reply #13: December 06, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
Sverluga even leveraged a book contract after <1 season!

Janes can spend her spare time on a book about Harpergate while the monkeys throw poo at town hall meetings in Iowa.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: December 06, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »
Ah yes, Barry S. He's great. He'd be 2a to Kilgore's 2b.

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #15: December 06, 2018, 04:13:31 PM »
nats beat writers

1. chico harlan
2. adam kilgore
3. chelsea

Chico wrote a nice article when Julian was dfa'd that really kind of humanized what I'm sure a lot of older, end of the road players go through. I thought it was a nice thing to do for a player not many people other than me cared about :lol:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #16: December 06, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »
Chico wrote a nice article when Julian was dfa'd that really kind of humanized what I'm sure a lot of older, end of the road players go through. I thought it was a nice thing to do for a player not many people other than me cared about :lol:

Chico got a lot of heat for that ill advised interview with Washingtonian but he was the best writer before Janes came. Svrgula was very good, very interactive with fans on his blog. Kilgore never bothered to learn the recent history of the team, under his watch I abandoned the Post as the primary source of info. Janes was the best, as a writer, getting scoops (tough for a local writer), and expressing measured opinions that weren't always complementary to the team.

It would be nice if the Post didn't cycle through beat writers as fast as the Lerners replace managers.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: December 06, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
Chico got a lot of heat for that ill advised interview with Washingtonian but he was the best writer before Janes came. Svrgula was very good, very interactive with fans on his blog. Kilgore never bothered to learn the recent history of the team, under his watch I abandoned the Post as the primary source of info. Janes was the best, as a writer, getting scoops (tough for a local writer), and expressing measured opinions that weren't always complementary to the team.

It would be nice if the Post didn't cycle through beat writers as fast as the Lerners replace managers.

I imagine most journalists with reporting chops don’t come to the Post (or DC) with the dream of covering the Nationals. The good ones move on.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: December 06, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »

It seems like she go promoted- I don’t think the post has ever ditched a writer, they just move on. Mlb beat writer is going to be a relatively junior position in DC for a paper like the post; I’d expect anyone doing a good job to move on

• babble on
« Reply #19: December 06, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »
Chico is currently Rome bureau chief.  The intersection of sports, serious news...and food.  Well played Mr Harlan  :pimp:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #20: December 06, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »
I imagine most journalists with reporting chops don’t come to the Nats with the dream of covering the Nationals. The good ones move on.

I wonder if this was tied to the offer that she got from the Athletic. The Post had to promote her to keep her.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #21: December 06, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »
Ah yes, Barry S. He's great. He'd be 2a to Kilgore's 2b.

Anyone see the guest host mangle Svrluga's name on High Heat when introducing him yesterday? He did Chris Russo proud. Something like Ser-ool-ja.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #22: December 06, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »
I had a buddy who used to be a beat writer for the Lakers and then the Jazz. He loved baseball, and I asked him if he ever thought about getting a baseball beat. He said it was the worst job in sports. The season takes forever, in the middle of summer, you're traveling for a couple weeks at a time for half the season (3 months of your year on the road). The games end late and deadline writing is awful.

He went on and on. It was pretty convincing :)

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #23: December 06, 2018, 08:14:12 PM »
I had a buddy who used to be a beat writer for the Lakers and then the Jazz. He loved baseball, and I asked him if he ever thought about getting a baseball beat. He said it was the worst job in sports. The season takes forever, in the middle of summer, you're traveling for a couple weeks at a time for half the season (3 months of your year on the road). The games end late and deadline writing is awful.

Yeah, I'm sure she's happy to be done with it... 

...MASN Dan has the best job in the world.  He really stepped in it.

Online blue911

« Reply #24: December 07, 2018, 07:53:49 AM »

Svrluga and Kilgore have told me the same thing. The NFL is considered the best sports beat.