Author Topic: 2018-19 Offseason (Non-Nats)  (Read 17503 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
2018-19 Offseason (Non-Nats)
« Topic Start: October 29, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
From MLB TR:

The Yankees baseball operations and scouting departments are “lukewarm” on free agent Manny Machado, per Andy Martino of SNY.tv. Brian Cashman has not been shy about his pursuit of Machado in the past, but the third-baseman-turned-shortstop’s antics during this postseason may have slowed what otherwise could have been a more aggressive pursuit of the infielder in free agency.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2018-19 Offseason (Non-Nats)
« Reply #1: October 29, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
If I were the NYY, I think I would not want much in terms of a position player change.  Andujar / Gregorius / Torres looks pretty solid, the kid the got from the Cards looks like a steal, and the outfield is pretty set.  Maybe a left fielder if they think Gardiner is past prime.  Maybe there is room for Bryce rather than Machado.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: October 29, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »
Anyone who has eyes can see that Harper did not fit once they got Stanton. Even if they want a new LF they have far cheaper options that can work without investing $300 million into a third outfielder (Stanton is due $300 million and Judge isn't far behind).

Offline imref

« Reply #3: October 29, 2018, 03:59:13 PM »
If I were the NYY, I think I would not want much in terms of a position player change.  Andujar / Gregorius / Torres looks pretty solid, the kid the got from the Cards looks like a steal, and the outfield is pretty set.  Maybe a left fielder if they think Gardiner is past prime.  Maybe there is room for Bryce rather than Machado.

The Yankees have a $12.5 million option on Gardner, I'd bet they don't exercise it and instead renegotiate a cheaper deal.  I don't think he gets that anywhere else, and probably would prefer to stay in NYC.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: October 29, 2018, 04:03:07 PM »
The Yankees have a $12.5 million option on Gardner, I'd bet they don't exercise it and instead renegotiate a cheaper deal.  I don't think he gets that anywhere else, and probably would prefer to stay in NYC.
they will probably see what they have in Frazier, too, figuring they can find an OF if he does not work out.

Oh, in other NY news, Ryan Zimmerman's agent, Brodie Van Wagonen, is about to be named GM of the Mets.

Offline imref

Re: MLB & Division Watching (2018)
« Reply #5: October 30, 2018, 11:02:21 PM »
Chase Utley has played his last game.   

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #6: November 01, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
Isn't Gregorious out with Tommy John? Machado would be a 6 year solution to a 2 year problem, but the old Yankees certainly would have done that.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: November 01, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
The prevailing theory is that they'd sign him and move Andujar to LF or 1B.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: November 01, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »
Isn't Gregorious out with Tommy John? Machado would be a 6 year solution to a 2 year problem, but the old Yankees certainly would have done that.
It will not keep him out the whole year, I think.  His surgery was at the end of September, right?  Aren't they saying he'll be back by July?  They also have Gleyber, so he could fill in at SS while Didi is out if they have a decent 2B backfill.

The prevailing theory is that they'd sign him and move Andujar to LF or 1B.
Well, if they are looking for a left fielder, then Bryce would still be in the picture.  Is Bryce in left, Andujar at 3d better than Andujar in left, Machado at 3d?  Maybe it is Gardy in left for half a season, Andujar at 3d, Machado plays SS, then Gardy to the bench?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: November 01, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
Well, they re-signed Gardner, so he is at least the 4th outfielder. I think they believe they can rotate guys around like you said. Machado at SS, Torres at 2B, Andujar at 3B, Gardy in LF until August when didi is back. If Frazier is healthy or Ellsbury (lol) they can rotate the OF as needed.

I don't see Bryce being in their plans at all but that won't stop delusional mouthbreathers from expecting it to happen.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: November 01, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
Well, they re-signed Gardner, so he is at least the 4th outfielder. I think they believe they can rotate guys around like you said.

I don't see Bryce being in their plans at all but that won't stop delusional mouthbreathers from expecting it to happen.
you think Machado is a better fit?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #11: November 01, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »
you think Machado is a better fit?

Yes - Andujar's defense was piss-poor at 3B and he is not long for the position IMO. It is a better fit than Bryce even if only by a little bit.

Ultimately I don't think he goes to NYC though.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #12: November 01, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
Well, they re-signed Gardner, so he is at least the 4th outfielder. I think they believe they can rotate guys around like you said. Machado at SS, Torres at 2B, Andujar at 3B, Gardy in LF until August when didi is back. If Frazier is healthy or Ellsbury (lol) they can rotate the OF as needed.

I know he's a radio guy and not in their front office but Francessa was adamant that the Yankees will never sign Machado after the garbage he pulled in the World Series and that Bryce is a born Yankee, it's all he and the club have wanted since the beginning of time.  Will be way curious to see if he's right on either count. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: November 01, 2018, 11:41:05 AM »
Francesa is no idea what he is talking about, even if Bryce goes to NY.

Harper or Machado don't seem like Cashman moves. Think about the roster since their mini-rebuild after 2014 - what's the big FA signing? Chapman? He's made shrewd moves the last few years to have a system full of young talent and a cohesive roster. Stanton fell into their lap and definitely wasn't in the plan. Once he came on board, adios Bryce. To me, they made a choice - we'll take Stanton now & for the long haul rather than run after Bryce if he hits FA. So far, it's paid off.

They want Judge, Didi, Severino, Stanton, etc. to be the faces and leaders IMO.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: November 01, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
Francesa is no idea what he is talking about, even if Bryce goes to NY.

Harper or Machado don't seem like Cashman moves. Think about the roster since their mini-rebuild after 2014 - what's the big FA signing? Chapman? He's made shrewd moves the last few years to have a system full of young talent and a cohesive roster. Stanton fell into their lap and definitely wasn't in the plan. Once he came on board, adios Bryce. To me, they made a choice - we'll take Stanton now & for the long haul rather than run after Bryce if he hits FA. So far, it's paid off.

They want Judge, Didi, Severino, Stanton, etc. to be the faces and leaders IMO.

Hank is still a Steinbrenner- he just watched his preseason favorite team get beaten by the Red Sox who went on to win another World Series. I’d expect him to respond like dad and try to make a big splash

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #15: November 01, 2018, 11:47:56 AM »
Hank is not in charge. Hal is. He is not like his father in any way beyond a desire to win.

I do think the Red Sox winning alters things but Hal is prudent and does not want to break the bank unless it's absolutely necessary. Maybe I'm wrong but Hal is a penny-pincher by the Yankees standards and he's going to ask why the money should go to an outfielder instead of pitching and how they could afford to re-sign Judge and Severino and Didi in a couple years.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: November 01, 2018, 05:53:18 PM »
Are they still thinking Frazier is eventually going to play, or are they going to try the Andujar move regardless of Machado and Harper?  How is the pipeline at 3d vs. corner OF?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #17: November 01, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »
Are they still thinking Frazier is eventually going to play, or are they going to try the Andujar move regardless of Machado and Harper?  How is the pipeline at 3d vs. corner OF?

I think Frazier is a "wait and see" kind of thing. As of today, their 2019 outfield is Gardner-Hicks-Judge with Stanton playing in LF or RF on days he doesn't DH. Ellsbury is still expected to contribute as well - my thing is, they're paying Ellsbury $20 million a year, Stanton $20 million a year, Sabathia will be back at mid-$10 million number, Tanaka is getting $20 million, Chapman $15 million. Are they really adding in another huge contract when Judge, Severino, Sanchez, Didi and Torres are all cheap? And they need starters?

I think Andujar will play 3B if they don't sign anyone but I expect he was told to try to learn LF or 1B to give them some options.

Pipeline at 3B is weaker than OF but Torres does have experience there if needed. After Andujar and Torres there aren't any middle infield impact players in the pipeline coming up soon (Estrada profiles as a solid utility guy, at least) so I think Machado makes a lot of sense. Plus - outfielders are way easier to find than impact SS/3B.

It's going to be really interesting to see what they do now that Boston won. They will want to make their move.

Offline imref

« Reply #18: November 02, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »
Heyman on WFAN yesterday said a big market, non NY team had sworn off Machado after his antics. Wouldn’t say who but speculation is that it’s Philly.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: November 02, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
I just don’t see his crap playing well with the Yankees- on the other hand, he’d be the perfect met

Offline blue911

« Reply #20: November 02, 2018, 09:34:47 AM »
I just hope Brian McCann is his teammate.

Offline imref

« Reply #21: November 02, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Jeff Passan reports Dodgers and Kershaw are nearing an extension agreement.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #22: November 02, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
Jeff Passan reports Dodgers and Kershaw are nearing an extension agreement.

good, I love it when big time players stay with their teams. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #23: November 02, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
3/93 for Kershaw. Damn.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: November 02, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
3/93 for Kershaw. Damn.
So much for salaries being under control. $40 million each per year for Bryce and Machado.