22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 123303 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #875: December 29, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »
Or perhaps he was just acting like himself, same as Mike Trout does? Does he have to act bland when that's not his personality? :shrug:

:clap:

The only people who don’t like Bryce’s style are the idiots who use the phrase, “play the game the right way.”

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #876: December 29, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »

The only people who don’t like Bryce’s style are the idiots who use the phrase, “play the game the right way.”

Yeah. I got totally misunderstood by skippy, I definitely don’t feel that way. But it’s absurd to say that the hype behind Harper is solely a media creation and isn’t cultivated and encouraged by him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #877: December 29, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »
Plus the Barnes Museum ( one of the worlds premier impressionist collections) and The Rodin Museum(said to be the second greatest collection of his bronzes) and fabulous dining.
for a second there, I thought you were saying the Rodent Museum, so I figured it belonged in Philly.  With Gritty.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #878: December 29, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
Plus the Barnes Museum ( one of the worlds premier impressionist collections) and The Rodin Museum(said to be the second greatest collection of his bronzes) and fabulous dining.
Thanks.  Might have to visit just for the Barnes Museum. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #879: December 29, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
Thanks.  Might have to visit just for the Barnes Museum. 

The smithsonian has a great collection for free; non-peak months its usually virtually empty too

Offline Homey da Nat

« Reply #880: December 30, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »
Thing is it seems like the Nats have spent that money on others (Corbin, Sanchez, etc.) so I don’t think that offer is still on the table.

I think Harper is back here on a one year deal because nobody will be insane enough to pay him what he thinks he's worth.  This is the only way I want Harper back.  He can walk otherwise.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #881: December 30, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
A one-year deal means you can’t trade Eaton, which lowers the value of keeping Harper.   If they sign him it’ll be for more than a year.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #882: December 30, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
as a fan who came to be a Nats fan because of him.

Do you have any idea as to the lameness of that statement ?

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #883: December 30, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »

I'm willing to overlook his "style" as long as he's helping us win games proportionally.

He's not.  One great season, several good ones and a lot of mediocrity in between.

I look forward to rooting against him in another uniform.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #884: December 30, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
Do you have any idea as to the lameness of that statement ?
dude, be careful about calling Cope lame.
 He literally sells hand to hand combat weapons and collects guns.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #885: December 30, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
dude, be careful about calling Cope lame.
 He literally sells hand to hand combat weapons and collects guns.

I literally collect guns and am actually proficient in hand to hand combat weapons.

So, no worries.  8)

And I didn't actually call him (her ?) lame.  Just his (her) statement on being a Nats fan only because of Bryce-freaking-hotdog-Harper. :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #886: December 30, 2018, 09:02:15 PM »
Cope is the least lame of all people here

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #887: December 30, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »

I wasn't calling her lame, just her statement about being a Nats fan because of Bryce Harper.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #888: December 30, 2018, 09:22:40 PM »
I dont think Cope does that anymore . . .

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #889: December 30, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »
I dont think Cope does that anymore . . .

Cope said that she became a Nats fan because of Him...

That's quite enough for me.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #890: December 30, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
A one-year deal means you can’t trade Eaton, which lowers the value of keeping Harper.   If they sign him it’ll be for more than a year.
Really good point

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #891: December 30, 2018, 10:15:02 PM »
A one year deal would be equivalent to Boras announcing his retirement- it’s not going to happen

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #892: December 30, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »
Yeah. I got totally misunderstood by skippy, I definitely don’t feel that way. But it’s absurd to say that the hype behind Harper is solely a media creation and isn’t cultivated and encouraged by him.

No I understood you perfectly. Bryce should act more like Mike Trout and less like who he actually is, that came through loud and clear.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #893: December 30, 2018, 11:29:03 PM »
No I understood you perfectly. Bryce should act more like Mike Trout and less like who he actually is, that came through loud and clear.

Huh? Did you read what I said? And the comment that I responded to. I literally said (multiple times) that Bryce should do what he wants.

All I said was that the Bryce Hype isn’t some media concoction. Why is that controversial? You have two super talented players. One has tons of hype. The other doesn’t. It’s because they have two different personalities, not because of some media creation.

You seem to read into a lot of stuff I write based on some idea you have of me and not on what I actually said. It’s unclear to me why that is.

Have a good night.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #894: December 31, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »

That is patently and objectively false.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #895: December 31, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »
Huh? Did you read what I said? And the comment that I responded to. I literally said (multiple times) that Bryce should do what he wants.

You’re kidding right? I’ve got no real resentment of Bryce, but he has stoked the hype train from day one. I’ve got no problem establishing a brand, but if he didn’t want hype, he could just act like Mike Trout.

You keep bringing hype into this.  Was it "hype" when Bryce went and played baseball with those kids at the monument when he first got here?  "Hype" when he stupidly said "where's my ring?" I don't understand what you mean by "hype", it just seems the type of person Bryce is bugs you.  Bryce and Mike Trout are both outstanding players, the difference between the two is that Bryce is brash, outgoing, speaks him mind, can put his foot in his mouth ALOT but just seems to be who he is.  The next interesting thing Mike Trout says will be his first which you know what, that's fine because he clearly is being who he is, a quiet guy.  It's like you're annoyed that Bryce has a personality and would rather he just "shut up and play baseball." 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #896: December 31, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
You keep bringing hype into this.  Was it "hype" when Bryce went and played baseball with those kids at the monument when he first got here?  "Hype" when he stupidly said "where's my ring?" I don't understand what you mean by "hype", it just seems the type of person Bryce is bugs you.  Bryce and Mike Trout are both outstanding players, the difference between the two is that Bryce is brash, outgoing, speaks him mind, can put his foot in his mouth ALOT but just seems to be who he is.  The next interesting thing Mike Trout says will be his first which you know what, that's fine because he clearly is being who he is, a quiet guy.  It's like you're annoyed that Bryce has a personality and would rather he just "shut up and play baseball."

Bryce is a very exciting player and can be anywhere from good to amazing with likely his best years ahead of him.  We've watched him since he was a teenager.  It is going to sting a little watching him play for somebody else.  Rizzo has moved on and constructed the roster so that we will be fine without Harper, but I would absolutely love to see it work out for him to come back.  I don't understand the hostility towards Bryce.  Yea, he's confident and has great hair.  It's not all his fault that he has been hyped to the max.  He's given his best efforts for the Nats and, despite being in a total bubble, hasn't really seriously messed up, even as a young man.  Do some people pick apart his quotes at times?  Sure, but he's been a solid role model and citizen. 

Free agency is designed to maximize your value and explore the market, no matter the scale.  Harper is doing nothing different than a guy like Matt Adams, just on a much larger scale.  Nobody is trying to rob anybody.  Everybody is informed and educated and knows what they are doing.  In the end, that will result in certain numbers being out there.  Then it's a matter of weighing those numbers versus where he wants to be.

I was directly responding to this quote. I use the term “hype,” because Cory used that term. Like I said, you’re attributing things to me I never said.  I’m the furthest from “shut up and play baseball” type and i challenge you to find one post from me that espouses that view.

Like I said, for some reason you have some notion of me you don’t like, or you can’t stand anything that could be remotely construed as anti-Bryce Harper. The only issue I’ve got with Bryce is that he claims to be an Ohio State fan and that he was not great for that Nats until they were out of contention last year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #897: December 31, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »

Is he gone yet?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #898: December 31, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
That is patently and objectively false.

:spit:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #899: December 31, 2018, 11:47:43 AM »
Is he gone yet?

Nope. He will drag this out for as long as possible and try to wait out Machado and then beat his contract.