22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 123369 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #250: November 07, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »
Apparently we offered 10/$300 with no opt-outs. That's a good offer and I think Boras knows he can come back to that as a base if he doesn't like what teams are offering.

That said, not sure I want him at that price.

Chelsea Janes is saying that's what she's heard as well:

Chelsea Janes

@chelsea_janes
 Nationals’ offer to Bryce Harper was roughly $300 million for 10 years — so an AAV of $30 million — according to multiple people familiar with it. No opt outs.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #251: November 07, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
The Nats made the offer they needed to make to not look bad. They knew Harper wasn't going to take it. Now they can move on. No chance Harper will be with the Nats next year. Sign Rendon when it's time and all is good.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #252: November 07, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
Apparently we offered 10/$300 with no opt-outs. That's a good offer and I think Boras knows he can come back to that as a base if he doesn't like what teams are offering.

That said, not sure I want him at that price.

Agree. Maybe that’s too much at that price unless there are opt outs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #253: November 07, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »
Agree. Maybe that’s too much at that price unless there are opt outs.
well, opt outs are player friendly.  They guarantee the money if he is below expectations and allow him to make more if he plays well and the market improves.  Now if you could get him to sign for, say, a $15MM bonus, $25MM a year for 10 years, and an opt-out after 3 years, then I'd be all in favor of it.  But he has to come off the out-year committed dollars in order to get an opt out.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #254: November 07, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »
Thank goodness he balked at that offer, assuming we aren't monumentally stupid and try to match other offers (which means we probably will) that would save us a lot of money for an overpaid player.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #255: November 07, 2018, 03:40:27 PM »
Buster Olney  @Buster_ESPN
52s
As there continues to be speculation about Bryce Harper and the Yankees, a well-placed source emphatically says: “It’s not happening. He’s not going to be a Yankee.”

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #256: November 07, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
I wonder if Bryce ever looks at A-Rod's time in Texas and thinks, "You know, maybe it's better for my legacy to not just chase the highest contract possible and instead go after a good situation."

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #257: November 07, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
I wonder if Bryce ever looks at A-Rod's time in Texas and thinks, "You know, maybe it's better for my legacy to not just chase the highest contract possible and instead go after a good situation."

:lmao:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #258: November 07, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »
I know it's pretty ridiculous - and he likely (smartly) take the best money he gets, but man, his legacy would super weird if he signed with like the freaking White Sox. At least Philadelphia or St. Louis would be a good situation as long as he's got nearly identical money to Chicago.

If I was a player and had my choice and was looking at $300+ million guaranteed, I'd be really careful about where I sign. Like if he goes to CWS...how is he even relevant anymore?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #259: November 07, 2018, 05:00:03 PM »
I know it's pretty ridiculous - and he likely (smartly) take the best money he gets, but man, his legacy would super weird if he signed with like the freaking White Sox. At least Philadelphia or St. Louis would be a good situation as long as he's got nearly identical money to Chicago.

If I was a player and had my choice and was looking at $300+ million guaranteed, I'd be really careful about where I sign. Like if he goes to CWS...how is he even relevant anymore?

maybe he stays relevant- then again, he wouldn't even be the biggest baseball star in his new market and he'd be playing on the 'other' team in chicago. It would be like going to the Mets or Angels- ok, he's in the big market, but not really

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #260: November 07, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »

I don't think it's ridiculous at all - how much does Pujols regret not staying a beloved Cardinal for his whole career?  does Robby Cano enjoy his extra millions enough to not care about falling into complete irrelevancy for the rest of his career?  Hopefully Bryce considers stuff like that and doesn't only care about being the highest paid player ever. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #261: November 07, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
I don't think it's ridiculous at all - how much does Pujols regret not staying a beloved Cardinal for his whole career?  does Robby Cano enjoy his extra millions enough to not care about falling into complete irrelevancy for the rest of his career?  Hopefully Bryce considers stuff like that and doesn't only care about being the highest paid player ever.
Mucho dinero eases the pain.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #262: November 07, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
Mucho dinero eases the pain.
I mean, they're going to get mucho dinero regardless, I just wonder if the extra few million REALLY matters when they look back at how it all played out?   I don't know but someone like Pujols I mean, Angels fans couldn't care less about him, not like Cardinal fans, him chasing the money was just sad to me.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #263: November 07, 2018, 05:21:21 PM »
I mean, they're going to get mucho dinero regardless, I just wonder if the extra few million REALLY matters when they look back at how it all played out?   I don't know but someone like Pujols I mean, Angels fans couldn't care less about him, not like Cardinal fans, him chasing the money was just sad to me.
An extra few million is an extra few million. I wonder if Werth regrets leaving the Phillies. They might have won it all in 2011 and would have been competitive in 2012.  :hysterical:  In the end it’s a business. He might have more personal and team success in a new place. No one ever knows for sure.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #264: November 07, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
An extra few million is an extra few million. I wonder if Werth regrets leaving the Phillies. They might have won it all in 2011 and would have been competitive in 2012.  :hysterical:  In the end it’s a business. He might have more personal and team success in a new place. No one ever knows for sure.
No see Werth had won his championship and he was coming here to change the culture, which he did-I'd say he was one of the rare ones who chasing the money worked out quite well for.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #265: November 07, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
That’s an outrageously good offer for a guy who’s probably your third or fourth best player. If he gets more from somewhere else, so be it.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #266: November 07, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
No see Werth had won his championship and he was coming here to change the culture, which he did-I'd say he was one of the rare ones who chasing the money worked out quite well for.
Hadn’t Pujols won a championship also? And Cano? Changed the culture with zero playoff series wins. Would have been better to have more time to golf in early October. That’s really prime golf time.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #267: November 07, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
Hadn’t Pujols won a championship also? And Cano? Changed the culture with zero playoff series wins. Would have been better to have more time to golf in early October. That’s really prime golf time.

Sure Pujols did but he was an iconic Cardinal, now he's just a dude on a team.  Robbie was still so young he could've been a huge star, now who even remembers he's still playing? I get we didn't have postseason success with Werth but we had soooooo much more success with him than we did without him, I do think he gave us legitimacy when we were used to being a laughing stock. Anyway that's just the way I see it, I don't blame anyone for getting every last dollar they can, I just don't always get it. 

Offline hotshot

« Reply #268: November 07, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
The Nats made the offer they needed to make to not look bad. They knew Harper wasn't going to take it. Now they can move on. No chance Harper will be with the Nats next year. Sign Rendon when it's time and all is good.

Agree.  My guess is that the Lerners and Rizzo breathed a collective sigh of relief when he didn't take it. I see today that offer does NOT remain on the table. It was a one time "opportunity" (as it should have been).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #269: November 07, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
Sure Pujols did but he was an iconic Cardinal, now he's just a dude on a team.  Robbie was still so young he could've been a huge star, now who even remembers he's still playing? I get we didn't have postseason success with Werth but we had soooooo much more success with him than we did without him, I do think he gave us legitimacy when we were used to being a laughing stock. Anyway that's just the way I see it, I don't blame anyone for getting every last dollar they can, I just don't always get it.
Pujols gets to play with the GOAT. Cano gets excellent seafood. It all works out.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #270: November 07, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Agree.  My guess is that the Lerners and Rizzo breathed a collective sigh of relief when he didn't take it. I see today that offer does NOT remain on the table. It was a one time "opportunity" (as it should have been).
I think Rizzo did. The Lerners want him to stay real bad. He makes them money.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #271: November 07, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »

Cano's Seattle offer was at least $70 million more than the Yankees, but man, he was on track to be arguably the best 2B in Yankees history. Guy passed up a chance at legendary Yankee status - he was by far going to be the most popular player on the roster for years. Now he's just a kid who was awesome for the Yankees before leaving and accomplishing nothing of note in Seattle, where he also won't be some legend. He's just a guy who played. I don't know. It's an interesting debate. I'm sure he's not upset with his cash.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #272: November 07, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »

More money to live in LA instead of ST Louis- I’m sure he’s fine with it

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #273: November 07, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »

Winner winner, chicken dinner...

Offline Jay

« Reply #274: November 07, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
I'm concerned that the motivation to re-sign Bryce wouldn't be what he could for the Nats, but the fear that he might go .300/40/120 for some other team ...