22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 125911 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #525: December 04, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »
Eh, I think Zim, Stras, and Tony's raised are gonna negate that. Plus Suzuki

And Turner.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #526: December 05, 2018, 12:16:09 AM »

We've found Grant Paulsen's WNFF screen name.

Except I was one of the ones saying to let Kirk go. I’m just saying the celebrating over Bryce leaving is kinda silly when it can potentially come back to haunt the team.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #527: December 05, 2018, 01:47:46 AM »
If Bryce leaves, the Nats are seriously lacking in power. Rendon's career high in HRs is only 25, Zimmerman is getting older each day and the jury is still out on whether Soto will maintain his numbers. I'll call it here first, if Bryce leaves, there will be a lot of angry fans of Nats constantly losing 3-2 games.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #528: December 05, 2018, 03:33:03 AM »
In terms of the poll, the percent of those thinking Bryce will stay seems to be rising

I’ll miss Harper. But I’m not yet convinced he’s gone.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #529: December 05, 2018, 06:45:59 AM »
If Bryce leaves, the Nats are seriously lacking in power. Rendon's career high in HRs is only 25, Zimmerman is getting older each day and the jury is still out on whether Soto will maintain his numbers. I'll call it here first, if Bryce leaves, there will be a lot of angry fans of Nats constantly losing 3-2 games.
We lost a lot of 3-2 games with Bryce too.  Heck, there was one stretch last year where it felt like we got shut out 4-5 times in a month (no research done to back this point up).  That's the point, with Bryce in the lineup we were not guaranteed to put up 5 runs/game.  If we were, he would be getting his $400M.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #531: December 05, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
if the Nats offer Harper 12/$400 million, and he doesn't take it, he's either crazy or despite everything being publicly said, he hates the Nationals.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #532: December 05, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »
if the Nats offer Harper 12/$400 million, and he doesn't take it, he's either crazy or despite everything being publicly said, he hates the Nationals.
If he turns that down and goes to the Phillies for about the same or a little more then, yeah I guess he hates us.

If he goes to a team like the Dodgers, Yankees or Cubs, then it might just be because he really wants to go there.

I would guess his main motivators are team/location, money, and winning championships, and he'll pick the place that gives the best opportunity in all 3 areas.  I have no idea if he views DC better or worse than the Yankees or Dodgers.  I wouldn't hold any ill will against him picking the Dodgers because he misses the area.   I'll be first in line to boo him if he picks the Phillies though.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #533: December 05, 2018, 12:36:55 PM »
We lost a lot of 3-2 games with Bryce too.  Heck, there was one stretch last year where it felt like we got shut out 4-5 times in a month (no research done to back this point up).  That's the point, with Bryce in the lineup we were not guaranteed to put up 5 runs/game.  If we were, he would be getting his $400M.

Right on target. Anyone else notice how the Nats seem to score in bunches when they are fortunate to put up some runs. i.e., all the scoring is done in  one or two innings max. The rest of the innings are zeros. Maybe that's true of all teams but ... seems particularly the case here. If we get an early lead, we rarely add to it. If we break though late, it's after being shut out for most of the game.

Offline imref

« Reply #534: December 05, 2018, 12:37:40 PM »
Given the pitching in the NL east next year hits will be tough for everyone.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #535: December 05, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

That guy doesn't have an inside source, he's referring to media speculation.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #536: December 05, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »

The all or nothing approach isn’t working. I’m looking forward to an offense that’s focused on speed, contact, and guys that will keep the line moving. Turner and Robles will be a nightmare for opposing pitchers. Soto and Rendon are two of the best pure hitters in the game. A healthy Eaton is no slouch. The catcher position is a massive upgrade. The offense will be just fine. In fact, it might be more exciting to watch.

Offline imref

« Reply #537: December 05, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
The all or nothing approach isn’t working. I’m looking forward to an offense that’s focused on speed, contact, and guys that will keep the line moving. Turner and Robles will be a nightmare for opposing pitchers. Soto and Rendon are two of the best pure hitters in the game. A healthy Eaton is no slouch. The catcher position is a massive upgrade. The offense will be just fine. In fact, it might be more exciting to watch.

Contact wins championships.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #538: December 05, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »
Contact wins championships.
Uh ... not in DC

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline Optics

« Reply #540: December 05, 2018, 06:56:39 PM »
538 got something right!   :clap:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nationals-dont-need-bryce-harper/

Only if we use the money we would have spent on Harper wisely. So far we've gotten an all star C and SP, so I can't argue too much. But we'd need more. And we need to extend Rendon.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #541: December 05, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
Only if we use the money we would have spent on Harper wisely. So far we've gotten an all star C and SP, so I can't argue too much. But we'd need more. And we need to extend Rendon.

I think we are already better than a 82-80 team...

...and I have to think we are all-in on Ant'ny...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #542: December 05, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »

Only if the plan is to trade Keiboom

Offline Slateman

« Reply #543: December 05, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
538 got something right!   :clap:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nationals-dont-need-bryce-harper/

I don't need a fourth slice of chocolate cake.

But I freaking want it.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #544: December 05, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »
Agree - the team would be better with him

I don't need a fourth slice of chocolate cake.

But I freaking want it.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #545: December 06, 2018, 01:43:05 AM »
Somebody fill me in here. Can the Nats afford to resign Harper and Rendon? I just don’t see how they could pull that off. If I’m picking between the two - it’s Rendon all day.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #546: December 06, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
Somebody fill me in here. Can the Nats afford to resign Harper and Rendon? I just don’t see how they could pull that off. If I’m picking between the two - it’s Rendon all day.

Honestly, I doubt anyone can even speculate anymore. We have seen team ownership spend big and also tout the line about not wanting to go over the tax threshold.

I get the feeling that ownership only splurges where Boras can make a good enough pitch. Werth was better than anything the 2011 Nats were going to put in the outfield, as the only pitch was Werth against Willingham. That didn't work out in year one, but worked out long term. Rafael Soriano looked like an upgrade over the entire pen after Game 5 in 2012. That one didn't work out so well. Scherzer was a clear cut Ace and that contract is working out. Wieters was an upgrade over anyone else on the roster at catcher, and even though he didn't work out, we all saw what we could have had.

The point I'm getting at is that ownership spends when the pitch works. They could spend on Harper, but Soto lessens that blow considerably. I also think that if they want Rendon and Harper, they would do it and pay whatever penalties.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #547: December 06, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »
When did Bryce become a cancer?

When he got that SI cover at age 16.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #548: December 06, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »

The Nats would be better off taking the money they were gonna offer Harper and putting (half of ?) it into getting Zimmerman bionic parts so that he's healthy and on the field for 150+ games every year.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #549: December 06, 2018, 11:17:29 PM »
I can't help but think that Boras has overplayed his hand and his bluff is gonna be called...