22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 125991 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'm thinking the equivalent deal for us would have been something like Robles and Garcia.

The fan graphs analysis says this is a classic boom or bust.  On paper, Sanchez is a top-line starter, but he's had some injury issues.  If Alfaro gets his strikeout rate down, he could be the best catcher in the league.  Or, they could both be busts.  Seems like a good gamble for the Marlins who give up 2 years of Realmuto and for Philly who arguably makes their club more attractive to Harper or Machado.

I don't see anything in Alfaro's history that would lead me to believe he's not going to strike out a ton. He might tone it down from last season (36.6%), but he's always going to be mid to high 20s. He really doesn't walk a lot and he just loves to swing. And I don't think his power is going to hold up very well in Miami.

Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that the Marlins had better offers on the table at last year's deadline, but were too greedy. Now they're realizing that if they don't deal him, his value will only diminish.